U.S. Soldiers Punished For Not Attending Christian Concert

blah blah blah :blahblah:

Again, this sort of punishment may be commonplace, and even justifiable, but it is still punishment. And to go on pretending otherwise is still fucking retarded.

true story :thup:
Life as a troop in training is punishment. And to think its just these troops who didnt attend proves what a retard you are. It wouldnt matter who the troops were, they are all treated the same. To say different proves that either you have never served or a liar. I would guess a liar but let you prove it yourself yardbird.

Last edited:

Again, this sort of punishment may be commonplace, and even justifiable, but it is still punishment. And to go on pretending otherwise is still fucking retarded.

Dude, you don't get it do you.

when I was in boot camp I got punished with 100 push ups for looking at a female DI wrong. A friend got punished with 200 push ups because a DI stole his M16 from his tent while he slept on bivouac. Our entire platoon got punished with 500 push ups because we let someone walk through our ranks.

Recruits get punished for EVERYTHING.

Here I'll tell you an even better one. My second week of actual boot camp my mother sent me 5 pounds of home made chocolate chip cookies. I had to do 100 push ups for each pound and got 5 cookies out of the entire package. Punished for getting cookies, I mean come on................

But that is the military way.

Life as a troop in training is punishment. And to think its just these troops who didnt attend proves what a retard you are. It wouldnt matter who the troops were, they are all treated the same. To say different proves that either you have never served or a liar. I would guess a liar but let you prove it yourself yardbird.

If you have to put words in my mouth to support your "counter" argument then you fail.

Every time.

Dude, you don't get it do you.

when I was in boot camp I got punished with 100 push ups for looking at a female DI wrong. A friend got punished with 200 push ups because a DI stole his M16 from his tent while he slept on bivouac. Our entire platoon got punished with 500 push ups because we let someone walk through our ranks.

Recruits get punished for EVERYTHING.

Here I'll tell you an even better one. My second week of actual boot camp my mother sent me 5 pounds of home made chocolate chip cookies. I had to do 100 push ups for each pound and got 5 cookies out of the entire package. Punished for getting cookies, I mean come on................

But that is the military way.

Exactly.

I'm glad we agree that this was punishment. And anyone claiming otherwise is fucking retarded.

A consequence of their choice, not a "punishment"

If you read the story you'll see there were no push-ups mentioned.

"The week prior to the event the [unit name and NCO's name withheld] informed us of a Christian rock event that was about to take place on Thursday the 13th.

"On Thursday 13th at 1730 we were informed that instead of being dismissed for the day, the entire company (about 250 soldiers) would march as a whole to the event. Not only that, but to make sure that everyone is present we were prohibited from going back to the barracks (to eliminate the off chance that some might 'hide' in their rooms and not come back down).

"We were marched as a whole to chow and were instructed to reform outside the dining facility. A number of soldiers were disappointed and restless. Several of us were of different faith or belief. A couple were particularly offended (being of Muslim faith) and started considering to disobey the order.

"From the dining facility we were marched back to the company area. There was a rumor circulating that we may be given a choice later on to fall out or attend. Though it was only a rumor it was also a small hope enough to allow us to follow along a little longer before choosing to become disobedient. We were marched back to the company area. To our dismay there was still no sign of as having a choice.

"We started marching to the theater. At that point two Muslim soldiers fell out of formation on their own. Student leadership tried to convince them to fall back in and that a choice will be presented to us once we reach the theater.

"At the theater we were instructed to split in two groups; those that want to attend versus those that don't. At that point what crossed my mind is the fact that being given an option so late in the game implies that the leadership is attempting to make a point about its intention. The 'body language' was suggesting that 'we marched you here as a group to give you a clue that we really want you to attend (we tilt the table and expect you to roll in our direction), now we give you the choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us.' A number of soldiers seemed to notice these clues and sullenly volunteered for the concert in fear of possible consequences.

"Those of us that chose not to attend (about 80, or a little less that half) were marched back to the company area. At that point the NCO issued us a punishment. We were to be on lock-down in the company (not released from duty), could not go anywhere on post (no PX, no library, etc). We were to go to strictly to the barracks and contact maintenance. If we were caught sitting in our rooms, in our beds, or having/handling electronics (cell phones, laptops, games) and doing anything other than maintenance, we would further have our weekend passes revoked and continue barracks maintenance for the entirety of the weekend. At that point the implied message was clear in my mind 'we gave you a choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us. Since you chose to disappoint us you will now have your freedoms suspended and contact chores while the rest of your buddies are enjoying a concert.'

"At that evening, nine of us chose to pursue an EO complaint. I was surprised to find out that a couple of the most offended soldiers were actually Christian themselves (Catholic). One of them was grown as a child in Cuba and this incident enraged him particularly as it brought memories of oppression."

Last edited:
I think it's mostly about trust and team work.

Those 9 soldiers are basically expressing that they are so weak they could be brainwashed by a two hour music concert. :lol:

As far as "losing freedoms" as one of them cried about "punishment", that was losing other privileges only if they chose to not do their maintenance duties.

Last edited:

"The week prior to the event the [unit name and NCO's name withheld] informed us of a Christian rock event that was about to take place on Thursday the 13th.

"On Thursday 13th at 1730 we were informed that instead of being dismissed for the day, the entire company (about 250 soldiers) would march as a whole to the event. Not only that, but to make sure that everyone is present we were prohibited from going back to the barracks (to eliminate the off chance that some might 'hide' in their rooms and not come back down).

"We were marched as a whole to chow and were instructed to reform outside the dining facility. A number of soldiers were disappointed and restless. Several of us were of different faith or belief. A couple were particularly offended (being of Muslim faith) and started considering to disobey the order.

"From the dining facility we were marched back to the company area. There was a rumor circulating that we may be given a choice later on to fall out or attend. Though it was only a rumor it was also a small hope enough to allow us to follow along a little longer before choosing to become disobedient. We were marched back to the company area. To our dismay there was still no sign of as having a choice.

"We started marching to the theater. At that point two Muslim soldiers fell out of formation on their own. Student leadership tried to convince them to fall back in and that a choice will be presented to us once we reach the theater.

"At the theater we were instructed to split in two groups; those that want to attend versus those that don't. At that point what crossed my mind is the fact that being given an option so late in the game implies that the leadership is attempting to make a point about its intention. The 'body language' was suggesting that 'we marched you here as a group to give you a clue that we really want you to attend (we tilt the table and expect you to roll in our direction), now we give you the choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us.' A number of soldiers seemed to notice these clues and sullenly volunteered for the concert in fear of possible consequences.

"Those of us that chose not to attend (about 80, or a little less that half) were marched back to the company area. At that point the NCO issued us a punishment. We were to be on lock-down in the company (not released from duty), could not go anywhere on post (no PX, no library, etc). We were to go to strictly to the barracks and contact maintenance. If we were caught sitting in our rooms, in our beds, or having/handling electronics (cell phones, laptops, games) and doing anything other than maintenance, we would further have our weekend passes revoked and continue barracks maintenance for the entirety of the weekend. At that point the implied message was clear in my mind 'we gave you a choice to either satisfy us or disappoint us. Since you chose to disappoint us you will now have your freedoms suspended and contact chores while the rest of your buddies are enjoying a concert.'

"At that evening, nine of us chose to pursue an EO complaint. I was surprised to find out that a couple of the most offended soldiers were actually Christian themselves (Catholic). One of them was grown as a child in Cuba and this incident enraged him particularly as it brought memories of oppression."

I was just using push ups as an example. Push ups is actually pretty mild in the form of army punishment. Some of them DIs are sadistic.

You want pain?

crouch down on your haunches, but remain on your tippy toes, with your back against a wall. Now hold your arms straight out so that your M16 could be laid across them. Remain in position for one hour. If your heels hit the ground your hour starts over, if your M16 hits the ground, well kiss your ass goodbye.

That was for chewing gum in formation.

How about this one. Place your steel pot on the ground . Assume the push up position over your steel pot. Rest your chest on your steel pot (helmet by the way.) Now place your hands behind your back. Maybe if you're lucky you won't be one of the ones the DI comes and steps on your back.

Those calling this punishment are totally ignorant of the military.

Hey, contrary to what's been posted about me and to me I do get it. And I think these guys whining about it should grow a pair and quit being such pussies.

But as always, I just can't let a disingenuous or faulty logic argument pass without comment, even if I agree with the person's overall position. Just like I rip on fellow pro-choicers who insist that aborting a fetus isn't terminating a human life. Of course it is... duh! And in this case, it was definitely a punishment. Plain and simple.

I know, right. :lol:

Just like getting life in prison for first degree murder is a consequence of the murderer's choice, not a punishment. :rofl:

"No I'm not worried about the consequences I'm just weary of anything that logically or naturally follows an action or condition."

Warning: Do not watch if you haven't seen Se7en.

[youtube]YXW9ocRTPbY[/youtube]

I was just using push ups as an example. Push ups is actually pretty mild in the form of army punishment. Some of them DIs are sadistic.

You want pain?

crouch down on your haunches, but remain on your tippy toes, with your back against a wall. Now hold your arms straight out so that your M16 could be laid across them. Remain in position for one hour. If your heels hit the ground your hour starts over, if your M16 hits the ground, well kiss your ass goodbye.

That was for chewing gum in formation.

How about this one. Place your steel pot on the ground . Assume the push up position over your steel pot. Rest your chest on your steel pot (helmet by the way.) Now place your hands behind your back. Maybe if you're lucky you won't be one of the ones the DI comes and steps on your back.

Those calling this punishment are totally ignorant of the military.

Haven't tried those but try this

The Escapist : Video Galleries : Zero Punctuation : Psychonauts

I remember in RANGER school when we would have to assume the push up position with our feet against a tree and our hands on the ground. Pretty uncomfortable and even worse once you started doing push ups. This "punishment" helped broaden the shoulders by forcing you to push a higher percentage of your body weight than from the regular position. Got to the point where just about anything was better than doing those type of push ups. So later in the course, when we went out on patrol in the middle of the night with a few hours sleep and on one meal's worth of rations that you learned to make last throughout the day, didn't seem as bad as doing push ups against the tree. Not everything is "punishment."

Then again, I do have to admit that I do have this thing for BDSM. :eusa_shhh:

I remember in RANGER school when we would have to assume the push up position with our feet against a tree and our hands on the ground. Pretty uncomfortable and even worse once you started doing push ups. This "punishment" helped broaden the shoulders by forcing you to push a higher percentage of your body weight than from the regular position. Got to the point where just about anything was better than doing those type of push ups. So later in the course, when we went out on patrol in the middle of the night with a few hours sleep and on one meal's worth of rations that you learned to make last throughout the day, didn't seem as bad as doing push ups against the tree. Not everything is "punishment."

Rangers can get like that.......:eusa_whistle:

When I went through Benning in '98 we had this sadistic West Point bitch who thought she had a point to prove. Duck walking for 5 mile through Georgia mud with a 70 lb pack on your back and your M16 over your head in 98 degree heat is NOT fun.

When I went through Benning in '98 we had this sadistic West Point bitch who thought she had a point to prove. Duck walking for 5 mile through Georgia mud with a 70 lb pack on your back and your M16 over your head in 98 degree heat is NOT fun.

Good friend of mine went through OCS in 1980 when women were just beginning to integrate into the force. The TAC Officer barked out some orders, and the troops responded with "Yes, Sir!"

She said, "Sir? Sir? Do I look like a 'sir' to you?"

From the back of the formation, "No, Ma'am......you've got tits!"

Have you ever served in the Military? If you can answer this one question it will go a long way in how I can approach the discussion with you. Of course judging by your responses you are not wanting to discuss it and anyone with a different opinion is just not smart.

I prefer not to share personal information with anonymous internet vagrants. No offense.

None taken, I will just assume you are not here to discuss but to instigate. If you really wanted to discuss something you would let people know your background so the could understand your point of view. As it is I can not and will not try.

You do know you are on a discussion board right? If people do not understand why you have the point of view you have then they can not effectively discuss an issue. Based on your posts I can see that discussion is not what you are best at.

Those 9 soldiers are basically expressing that they are so weak they could be brainwashed by a two hour music concert. :lol:

As far as "losing freedoms" as one of them cried about "punishment", that was losing other privileges only if they chose to not do their maintenance duties.

Seriously? So you would be expressing how weak you are if you were required to go to a gay pride concert? or a Muslim service?

Seriously? So you would be expressing how weak you are if you were required to go to a gay pride concert? or a Muslim service?

I wouldn't be afraid to attend either of those things but then again the topic is not about me.

How do you equate those things with these soldiers pretending they were "punished" while still having an option not to attend...???

Forum List

Back