UCLA blacks scream RACISM at professor who corrected their punctuation

According to this Daily Bruin (UCLA) article, the sit-in seems to have been directed at a soft target that would not kick back rather than at the legit grievances the grad students may have had. The protesters come off as whiny "community activists" in training.

Students defend professor after sit-in over racial climate
November 20, 2013

By Sam Hoff
Current and former students in the Graduate School of Education & Information Studies expressed their support for professor emeritus Val Rust following a demonstration in one of his graduate classes last Thursday.

Student demonstrators alleged that there is a “toxic” racial climate in the graduate school, including in Rust’s classroom...

After Thursday’s sit-in, several current and former students said they did not believe there was a problem with racial discrimination in Rust’s class.

In a letter sent to colleagues in the department after the sit-in, Rust said students in the demonstration described grammar and spelling corrections he made on their dissertation proposals as a form of "micro-aggression."

"I have attempted to be rather thorough on the papers and am particularly concerned that they do a good job with their bibliographies and citations, and these students apparently don't feel that is appropriate," Rust said in the letter.

He said the protesters were also responding to a conversation in class between two students about critical race theory that he allowed to take place by not stopping the discussion.

Rust added he thought the department should organize a town hall meeting later in the month to begin a dialogue.]

“Many of (the demonstrators’) individual stories were very touching and I feel something ought to be done to address their concerns,” he said in the letter...

Nora Cisneros, a graduate student who participated in the sit-in, said the group chose to hold their protest because they feel Rust’s class does not encourage a climate where students of color can discuss issues of race openly.

Emily Le, a graduate student in the school who has known Rust for about 10 years, said she thought it was unjust for sit-in participants to accuse Rust of being part of a hostile environment because he is a supporter of intercultural learning and collaboration.

“It is disturbing that students would make such unfounded accusations based on misperceptions of what they believe as racism,” Le said.

Some students said they thought Thursday’s protest was focused more on humiliating a single professor than starting dialogue.

“I think the most unsettling thing was that it was in the name of a larger, legitimate cause, but it was so targeted at very specific people,” said Stephanie Kim, a graduate student who has worked with Rust for several years.

“Maybe (the demonstrators) do have legitimate grievances … but the way they chose to address their issues was by very aggressively showing up in one targeted professor’s class and using him as a scapegoat for much larger issues,” she said.

Cisneros and Watson said they thought the sit-in was warranted because of similar alleged incidents of racial discrimination over the past 20 years.

In an emailed statement, Weiling Deng, a graduate student who worked with Rust on her master’s thesis, said she does not want conflicts to begin in the graduate school as a result of the sit-in.

Deng said Rust has demonstrated support for students of color throughout his time as a professor.

“I felt after reading the (Daily Bruin story) and knowing about the protest … that I was so innocent in thinking that all students in the department are friendly,” Deng said in a telephone interview. “Not only I was shocked, all students of (Rust) were shocked and most of his colleagues were shocked.”

Black people simply do not believe they should be corrected EVER. To correct an error requires that a judgment be made and they are simply above all judgment.

That's BS. Blacks are simply mentally inferior and can't make it in college so they scream racism and discrimination. Blacks know they are idiots and don't want the liberals to find that out.

I thought it may be a possibility that you were putting us on, making it up or exaggerating, so I checked out the story and it appears you are correct. But I do have to disagree with your assessment of black people. All races of people have the same potential for achievement. If you will consider this example: Japan of the early 1800s was a primitive feudal society. But after the shock of Commodore Perry forcing open the country in the mid 1800s they set out to modernize Japan. By the turn of the twentieth century they had achieved their goal; it took them about two generations.

Pity Japan hadn't stayed a primitive feudal society.

Millions of people butchered, tortured, and terrorised, in the 20th century by Japan would likely agree.

After this, the good professor could be forgiven for just arriving at work for the day...giving lectures, not bothering to correct any papers, just giving all students a pass, leaving the uni as soon as possible each day and going home and relaxing.

Last edited:
Black people simply do not believe they should be corrected EVER. To correct an error requires that a judgment be made and they are simply above all judgment.

That's BS. Blacks are simply mentally inferior and can't make it in college so they scream racism and discrimination. Blacks know they are idiots and don't want the liberals to find that out.

I thought it may be a possibility that you were putting us on, making it up or exaggerating, so I checked out the story and it appears you are correct. But I do have to disagree with your assessment of black people. All races of people have the same potential for achievement. If you will consider this example: Japan of the early 1800s was a primitive feudal society. But after the shock of Commodore Perry forcing open the country in the mid 1800s they set out to modernize Japan. By the turn of the twentieth century they had achieved their goal; it took them about two generations.

What makes you think this story checks out?

These kids want common core college degrees

They don't want any degree.
For many, going to college is the beginning of a life of living on the taxpayer dole.
They went to college, not to get further educated, but to live a couple years in a free dorm, free food, and even an allowance to buy free shit with.
It is a great couple of years.

For many, going to college is the beginning of a life of living on the taxpayer dole.
They went to college, not to get further educated, but to live a couple years in a free dorm, free food, and even an allowance to buy free shit with.

Just out of curiousity why would anyone need an "allowance" to "buy free shit?"
And what kind of "free shit" are you referring to?

I have a niece who graduated from UCLA a couple of years ago and fees, tuition, and miscellaneous expenses cost her parents around 25,000.00 per academic year. Needless to say, a little bit of the "free shit" that you mentioned would have come in handy.

I have a niece who graduated from UCLA a couple of years ago and fees, tuition, and miscellaneous expenses cost her parents around 25,000.00 per academic year. Needless to say, a little bit of the "free shit" that you mentioned would have come in handy.

:confused:
Pell grants...guessing you know what that is?
Also there is a plethora of available grants to "under-privileged" and minority students.
I just looked up UCLA - 61% of the students received grants.
Included in many grants is also free dorms -AND- a living allowance...of which they can do anything they want with. My nephew bought a $600 guitar with his.
College grants is a HUGE - HUGE waste of federal tax dollars because it has got way out of control.

He said the protesters were also responding to a conversation in class between two students about critical race theory that he allowed to take place by not stopping the discussion.

Yea, I don't care what else they're protesting. If they're protesting having their spelling corrected, then they're whiny morons who deserve no sympathy. Shiz, this is not even pre-spell checker times.

And I just noticed these are grad students protesting? Wow.

Pity Japan hadn't stayed a primitive feudal society.

Millions of people butchered, tortured, and terrorised, in the 20th century by Japan would likely agree.

Well, what about NAZI Germany? It took the Germans about a thousand years to reach the same level of development and their humanitarian record form WWII is also poor. Should the Germans have remained a primitive Neolithic tribal society?

Slight Tangent:

When I was a Senior at Pitt, close to graduating, I had the occasion to be sitting at a bus stop alongside a fellow student - a Black woman with whom I had taken many classes. It was 1978.

After a bit of idle chat, she unloaded on me about a professor who had made numerous grammatical corrections on her final term paper. I believe he had "fined" her half a letter grade for the grammatical errors. Her point was that this was not an English class, or a literature or composition class; it was a class in Penology. What difference did it make if she made grammatical errors? She should have been graded (according to her) solely on the academic content, without regard to proper English.

Hmmm.

I lean toward thinking she had a point. Maybe the Prof was justified in redlining the paper, but the grade should have been on content only, unless he was not able to discern what she meant because of the bad grammar (which I don't think was the case).

Opinions?

Black people simply do not believe they should be corrected, ever. To correct an error requires that a judgment be made and they are simply above all judgment.

Fixed that for you, Katz. Even a Juris Doctor isn't above being reminded that an adverb shouldn't be capitalised in the syntax you've employed. Not forgetting there should be a comma between "corrected" and "ever."

Other than that, I'm in agreement with what you've written.

Sent from the memories of an English grammar school way back in the day, where any grammatical error was usually met with severe pain.
Fixed that for you, Swagger. Periods and commas precede closing quotation marks, whether double or single.

:razz:

:confused:
Pell grants...guessing you know what that is?
Also there is a plethora of available grants to "under-privileged" and minority students.
I just looked up UCLA - 61% of the students received grants.
Included in many grants is also free dorms -AND- a living allowance...of which they can do anything they want with. My nephew bought a $600 guitar with his.
College grants is a HUGE - HUGE waste of federal tax dollars because it has got way out of control.

No need for confusion. Of course I know what a "pell grant" is. It initially covers tuition and expenses associated with the students attending the institution.

What is left over from the grant is available to be paid out to the student.

And, just to circle back to what I stated originally, they are not free, as they are funded out of government dollars which are provided from taxes paid.

As a taxpayer, I would much rather contribute to funding a college student who wants to play the guitar than funding a bloated military defense budget that exceeds what is spent collectively by all other countries on the planet.

Forum List

Back