Uncle Sam's Yard Sale: Gov't looks to unload Afghanistan war hardware

BlueGin

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone need a tank?

It could be Uncle Sam’s biggest yard sale.

After 12 years of war in Afghanistan, officials are now pondering what to do with $50 billion in equipment half a world away — including combat vehicles, dining rooms, gyms, clothing and more.

“A lot of this stuff, you're not really concerned about bringing it back,” said Jim Hasik, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council. “I mean if a Coke machine falls into the hands of the Taliban, this is just not a big disaster.”

But eventually, much of the gear will trickle down to the public. With the click of a mouse the spoils of war can be yours on govliquidation.com. Each day, new items appear on the site – as bases around the country release unneeded items – from rafts and trucks, to fire engines and pretzel stands

Read more: Uncle Sam's Yard Sale: Gov't looks to unload Afghanistan war hardware | Fox News

Unbelievably, incredible waste of metal and other resources. And with all that stuff they still could not defeat a bunch of fags wearing night shirts.

Anyone need a tank?

After 12 years of war in Afghanistan, officials are now pondering what to do with $50 billion in equipment half a world away — including combat vehicles, dining rooms, gyms, clothing and more.

This is actually pretty common, and if you think about it is pretty logical.

Pretty much every time we drew down our presence somewhere, the decision was made to sell a lot of equipment rather then bring it back to the US. Huge amounts of what was brought to fight in Kuwait was then sold to Kuwait and other neighboring countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Huge amounts of equipment brought to Iraq was sold to Iraq, and the same with Vietnam, Korea, even going back to WWII.

Also the way the military handles deployments, most of that equipment has been in theatre for a decade. Generally when a unit deploys they do not bring everything with them, that is to expensive. The equipment stays and the troops rotate in and out. So most of the equipment is quite old and tired, and is quite a bit out of date from our current equipment.

And just how much would it cost to bring a lot of that stuff home? From my experience, more then it is worth. What is the value of a 10 year old treadmill? Or cafeteria table? How about used mattresses and bed frames?

Anyone need a tank?

Pretty much every time we drew down our presence somewhere, the decision was made to sell a lot of equipment rather then bring it back to the US. Huge amounts of what was brought to fight in Kuwait was then sold to Kuwait and other neighboring countries like Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Huge amounts of equipment brought to Iraq was sold to Iraq, and the same with Vietnam, Korea, even going back to WWII.

Also the way the military handles deployments, most of that equipment has been in theatre for a decade. Generally when a unit deploys they do not bring everything with them, that is to expensive. The equipment stays and the troops rotate in and out. So most of the equipment is quite old and tired, and is quite a bit out of date from our current equipment.

And just how much would it cost to bring a lot of that stuff home? From my experience, more then it is worth. What is the value of a 10 year old treadmill? Or cafeteria table? How about used mattresses and bed frames?
Exactly. It's simply not feasible to bring it home.

My last assignment with the Air Force was in the Civil Engineering directorate of AFCENT, the air arm of CENTAF who's running the show in the Middle East. I helped manage a billion-dollar fleet of billeting, dining, and working facilities; power generation and distribution equipment; and water purification and storage equipment, all air-transportable, called Harvest Falcon. Enough equipment to house, feed, and provide working space for 1,100 people takes 18 C-17s to deploy. And one tasking I worked deployed 10 kits.

That's 180 C-17 flights. And there have been many times that amount of equipment deployed -- not to mention all the stuff that was purchased locally or through contractors.

The Air Force keeps a lot of HF kits pre-positioned in the Middle East. The contractor who's in charge of storing and deploying it when ordered also gets stuff back from the field and repairs and reconditions it, putting back on the shelf. That's what will happen with some of the stuff in the field, but much of it will be beyond economical repair and will be disposed of where it sits. Not worth the money to transport it to Oman or Kuwait or Bahrain for disposal.

Anyone need a tank?

“A lot of this stuff, you're not really concerned about bringing it back,” said Jim Hasik, a senior fellow at the Atlantic Council. “I mean if a Coke machine falls into the hands of the Taliban, this is just not a big disaster.”

But eventually, much of the gear will trickle down to the public. With the click of a mouse the spoils of war can be yours on govliquidation.com. Each day, new items appear on the site – as bases around the country release unneeded items – from rafts and trucks, to fire engines and pretzel stands

Read more: Uncle Sam's Yard Sale: Gov't looks to unload Afghanistan war hardware | Fox News

Don't need a tank but I'm on the lookout for a centrifuge, some heavy water and some plutonium for a...uh...er...home improvement project...yeah that's it...a home improvement project.

Anyone need a tank?

Totally makes sense to me. Just moving across a few states with a moving company cost several thousand dollars. And they do charge by weight/bulk. Might as well get some money out of it...instead of destroying it.

Anyone need a tank?

Don't need a tank but I'm on the lookout for a centrifuge, some heavy water and some plutonium for a...uh...er...home improvement project...yeah that's it...a home improvement project.

Gofers?

Anyone need a tank?

Gofers?

Moles baby...moles

Having been personally involved in this, here's what happens.

First, every item of armament is removed.
All electronics are removed.
What is left is then put up for bid.

Doing this in Afghanistan is a thousand times cheaper than trying to bring them out of country by air - we no longer have land routes to do so thanks to Obama's policies.

But, this happening there is nothing new! Similar auctions on excess military equipment take place all the time all around the USA. That and tens of thousands of items of used government equipment. There are plenty of websites that announce them. Check them out here: https://www.google.com/search?q=GSA...s=org.mozilla:en-ZA:official&client=firefox-a

Doing this in Afghanistan is a thousand times cheaper than trying to bring them out of country by air - we no longer have land routes to do so thanks to Obama's policies.

But, this happening there is nothing new! Similar auctions on excess military equipment take place all the time all around the USA. That and tens of thousands of items of used government equipment. There are plenty of websites that announce them. Check them out here: https://www.google.com/search?q=GSA...s=org.mozilla:en-ZA:official&client=firefox-a

Heck, they can go straight tot he military if they wish.

https://www.sales.dla.mil/dlab2b/init.do

I have seen everything auctioned from HMMWVs and cases of tampons that have extended their shelf life to barrels of hazardous waste and computers. As well as used uniforms, kitchen equipment, and rifles that have been cut in half.

I used to love attending DRMO auctions when I had a chance, never know what was going to be sold next.

Heck, they can go straight tot he military if they wish.

https://www.sales.dla.mil/dlab2b/init.do

I have seen everything auctioned from HMMWVs and cases of tampons that have extended their shelf life to barrels of hazardous waste and computers. As well as used uniforms, kitchen equipment, and rifles that have been cut in half.

I used to love attending DRMO auctions when I had a chance, never know what was going to be sold next.

You see some cool stuff at DRMO. I once saw a mainframe computer hard drive...a rack 6 feet tall, with 12" copper platters on a shaft, all exposed. Cool as hell! :lol:

I've seen helicopter fuselages. My wife knew a guy who wanted some shelter halves for his Boy Scout troop, so he put in a bid and won...then found out he won 8,000 shelter halves. :lmao:

if it fits in my car grille sold !!!

f-16-m61-vulcan-920-9.jpg

Forum List

Back