Under Obamacare, N.Y. Insurance Rates DROP 50%

I now see why so many Red States are blocking Obamacare

State insurance regulators say they have approved rates for 2014 that are at least 50 percent lower on average than those currently available in New York. Beginning in October, individuals in New York City who now pay $1,000 a month or more for coverage will be able to shop for health insurance for as little as $308 monthly. With federal subsidies, the cost will be even lower.

Can anyone explain the mechanism which is supposed to make this happen?

Why would anyone even buy insurance if they aren't sick? 308 USD a month is still a huge sum. You could easily take care of routine check ups with that and then buy insurance if it seemed like the costs are going to sky rocket. (This kind of behavior would of course make insurance prices sky rocket).

Or are they just playing a trick on us? 1000 plan that covers everything vs. 300 plan that covers pretty much nothing?

The new premium rates do not affect a majority of New Yorkers, who receive insurance through their employers, only those who must purchase it on their own. Because the cost of individual coverage has soared, only 17,000 New Yorkers currently buy insurance on their own. About 2.6 million are uninsured in New York State.

Idiot

Why would anyone even buy insurance if they aren't sick? 308 USD a month is still a huge sum. You could easily take care of routine check ups with that and then buy insurance if it seemed like the costs are going to sky rocket. (This kind of behavior would of course make insurance prices sky rocket).

Or are they just playing a trick on us? 1000 plan that covers everything vs. 300 plan that covers pretty much nothing?

A week in the Hospital can cost you $40,000. Good reason to buy health insurance

Individual mandate

Did you seriously just ask "why would you have insurance if you're not sick"?

The new premium rates do not affect a majority of New Yorkers, who receive insurance through their employers, only those who must purchase it on their own. Because the cost of individual coverage has soared, only 17,000 New Yorkers currently buy insurance on their own. About 2.6 million are uninsured in New York State.

Idiot

What's your point? Most people do get their insurance through their employer. The exchanges are currently for the individual market and they are finding in NY the same thing they found in CA...the exchanges lower the cost of individual plans.

Seems most tea party Taliban really believe the garbage they hear on FOX.

For these poor souls: Obamacare is meant to provide insurance for the uninsured.

Your welcome.

:)

Yes I did. It's a similar question to "Why would you have fire insurance if your house is not on fire". It doesn't help you in any way unless you actually need it.

It is my understanding that this new Obamacare law makes purchasing insurance possible even if you are already sick (comparable to your house being on fire). I don't know how quickly one can do this though.

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's awesome!!

Republicans would say: "Big deal, but what about South Dakota?"

Look......

The Individual Mandate requires you to buy Health Insurance or pay a fine.

In New Yawk... I don't even want to get into subsidies and how they work. Too complicated for the liberal brain.

But, New Yawk is going to be adding a large portion the 2.6 Million uninsured people to the premium-paying roles of Health Insurance.

Let's say, 2,000,000.

The very first day a person buys the Insurance, he or she is paying a down payment (two months of premium is normal) and if you got 2,000,000 people doing that, you've collected 1.2 BILLION DOLLARS (1,200,000,000) before you've paid the first claim.

And 600 Million every Month after that.

It's a good idea in theory but the rates won't last. As soon as the claims start rolling in, they're double, triple and quadruple.

The Insurance Superintendent in New Yawk is playing politics.

But the ACA is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

All we gotta do now is get some Intelligent people (Republicans) in office to fix it.

It can work. But with dimocraps running it? No chance

Yes I did. It's a similar question to "Why would you have fire insurance if your house is not on fire". It doesn't help you in any way unless you actually need it.

It is my understanding that this new Obamacare law makes purchasing insurance possible even if you are already sick (comparable to your house being on fire). I don't know how quickly one can do this though.

Yes, people with "pre existing conditions" can now get the life saving care every American deserves. Did you know that in the insurance world pregnancy and even rape an be considered a "pre existing condition that can get you denied care?

“If there was any state that the A.C.A. could bring rates down, it was New York,” said Timothy Jost, a law professor at Washington and Lee University who closely follows the federal law.

But some consumers may still find the prices and plans disappointing. Jerry Ball, 46, who owns a recycling business in Queens, said the cost of covering his family increased so rapidly in the last few years that he had to scale back their coverage. Still, he pays nearly $18,000 a year for a high-deductible policy for a family of three.

He said he would be reluctant to part ways with his insurer, Oxford, and was disappointed that even the least expensive Oxford plan being offered next year would cost about as much as he pays now.

Like most, I have a plan through my firm. Can you please contact them and let them know that Obama Tax is bringing down rates? Because mine went up 7% this year and is scheduled to go up 8% next year. I already pay around the same price as Mr. Ball for a monthly plan...for ONE.

Thanks in advance, sucker.

“If there was any state that the A.C.A. could bring rates down, it was New York,” said Timothy Jost, a law professor at Washington and Lee University who closely follows the federal law.

But some consumers may still find the prices and plans disappointing. Jerry Ball, 46, who owns a recycling business in Queens, said the cost of covering his family increased so rapidly in the last few years that he had to scale back their coverage. Still, he pays nearly $18,000 a year for a high-deductible policy for a family of three.

He said he would be reluctant to part ways with his insurer, Oxford, and was disappointed that even the least expensive Oxford plan being offered next year would cost about as much as he pays now.

Like most, I have a plan through my firm. Can you please contact them and let them know that Obama Tax is bringing down rates? Because mine went up 7% this year and is scheduled to go up 8% next year. I already pay around the same price as Mr. Ball for a monthly plan...for ONE.

Thanks in advance, sucker.

But none of those rate hikes had anything to do with the ACA. Your insurance company raised your rates, not the ACA.

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's awesome!!

Republicans would say: "Big deal, but what about South Dakota?"

But the ACA is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

All we gotta do now is get some Intelligent people (Republicans) in office to fix it.

It can work.

Are these the Republicans that crashed our economy to the worst Recession in U.S. history?

...While jacking health care costs to the highest in the world?

Their resume is etched in concrete

Forum List

Back