Under Obamacare, N.Y. Insurance Rates DROP 50%

Did you seriously just ask "why would you have insurance if you're not sick"?

Yes I did. It's a similar question to "Why would you have fire insurance if your house is not on fire". It doesn't help you in any way unless you actually need it.

It is my understanding that this new Obamacare law makes purchasing insurance possible even if you are already sick (comparable to your house being on fire). I don't know how quickly one can do this though.

Yes, people with "pre existing conditions" can now get the life saving care every American deserves. Did you know that in the insurance world pregnancy and even rape an be considered a "pre existing condition that can get you denied care?

Yeah, so why would you buy an insurance before you have a condition? If you are healthy you don't need an insurance.

Of course, this is why you have a fine, but I think it's still considerably smaller than 300USD a month.

If many people start doing this, the rates obviously have to rise a lot.

Last edited:
"Supporters of the new health care law, the Affordable Care Act, credited the drop in rates to the online purchasing exchanges the law created, which they say are spurring competition among insurers that are anticipating an influx of new customers. The law requires that an exchange be started in every state

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/h...t-for-new-yorkers-set-to-fall-50.html?hp&_r=0

Competition is killing the cartels - it's not fair!!

Last edited:
Seems most tea party Taliban really believe the garbage they hear on FOX.

For these poor souls: Obamacare is meant to provide insurance for the uninsured.

Your welcome.

:)

First, New Yawk City is a pushole of fraud, crime and thievery.

Insurance has always been 'Area Rated'.

The rates are based on where you live and the loss ratio or claims experience of that area.

In some places, you can live on one side of the street and pay a different than your neighbor on the other side. Zip Code rated.

Same with Car Insurance.

If you live in the arm pit of the Universe, New Yawk City, and are paying $3,000 a year for car Insurance, you can drive to Rochester or Albany where the rates are much lower but as soon as you tell them where you live, your rates go up to $3,000 a year.

Don't matter where you buy it, matters where you live.

So now, the ACA is spreading the risk around. If you live in the pushole of the Universe, with it's crime, institutionalized fraud, incompetence and thievery, you're going to pay the same rate as people living in areas where there is none. Or very little.

THAT brings the rates down a lot but only in the City. The Slimes forgot to mention that

Plus the fact, that the ACA has yet to pay the first claim.

Third Party 'Insurers' do this all the time. They 'buy the business' and raise the rates through the roof when the claims start rolling in.

But it's gonna take a while.

BTW, I am a proponent of mandatory Health Care. Regardless of who's paying for it.

It's necessity. It's not an option.

Most Republicans think the way I do. The arguments are over how to institute it, not whether or not we need it.

Insurance is a complicate subject. Difficult to explain.

But the one thing that the layman needs to understand is a Company, or a system, needs to take in more than it pays out or it will become insolvent.

At the outset, the ACA will be taking in BILLIONS and paying out nothing. Easy to have low rates at that point. And maybe it's the right thing to do.

But they ain't gonna stay there

Last edited:
Yes I did. It's a similar question to "Why would you have fire insurance if your house is not on fire". It doesn't help you in any way unless you actually need it.

It is my understanding that this new Obamacare law makes purchasing insurance possible even if you are already sick (comparable to your house being on fire). I don't know how quickly one can do this though.

Yes, people with "pre existing conditions" can now get the life saving care every American deserves. Did you know that in the insurance world pregnancy and even rape an be considered a "pre existing condition that can get you denied care?

Yeah, so why would you buy an insurance before you have a condition? If you are healthy you don't need an insurance.

Of course, this is why you have a fine, but I think it's still considerably smaller than 300USD a month.

You WILL need healthcare at some point. I've never "needed" my auto insurance and I may never. You WILL end up needing a doctor. The insurance mandate is for those who think they're indestructible...leaving me to pay their emergency room bill with a $10 aspirin.

These are the people who show up in the ER when they get sick and have US pay their bill.

They like that system .... what leech wouldn't?

:(

Last edited:
Republicans would say: "Big deal, but what about South Dakota?"

But the ACA is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

All we gotta do now is get some Intelligent people (Republicans) in office to fix it.

It can work.

Are these the Republicans that crashed our economy to the worst Recession in U.S. history?

...While jacking health care costs to the highest in the world?

Their resume is etched in concrete

You wear your stupidity like a crown

You WILL need healthcare at some point. I've never "needed" my auto insurance and I may never. You WILL end up needing a doctor. The insurance mandate is for those who think they're indestructible...leaving me to pay their emergency room bill with a $10 aspirin.

Yes I will need health care at some point.

At which point I will buy the insurance. Why would I buy it before I need anything? I can buy it after I am sick so why the need?

With auto insurance or any other insurance you can't just go and buy the insurance after your car is already in pieces. That's why you need to have it beforehand.

The new premium rates do not affect a majority of New Yorkers, who receive insurance through their employers, only those who must purchase it on their own. Because the cost of individual coverage has soared, only 17,000 New Yorkers currently buy insurance on their own. About 2.6 million are uninsured in New York State.

But some consumers may still find the prices and plans disappointing. Jerry Ball, 46, who owns a recycling business in Queens, said the cost of covering his family increased so rapidly in the last few years that he had to scale back their coverage. Still, he pays nearly $18,000 a year for a high-deductible policy for a family of three.

He said he would be reluctant to part ways with his insurer, Oxford, and was disappointed that even the least expensive Oxford plan being offered next year would cost about as much as he pays now.

Like most, I have a plan through my firm. Can you please contact them and let them know that Obama Tax is bringing down rates? Because mine went up 7% this year and is scheduled to go up 8% next year. I already pay around the same price as Mr. Ball for a monthly plan...for ONE.

Thanks in advance, sucker.

But none of those rate hikes had anything to do with the ACA. Your insurance company raised your rates, not the ACA.

The title of the thread says NY rates drop 50%. So either the Op is a liar, highly ignorant or both.

At the outset, the ACA will be taking in BILLIONS and paying out nothing. Easy to have low rates at that point. And maybe it's the right thing to do.

But they ain't gonna stay there

You should be in the Health Insurance business!!

Given how long and complicated Obama care is I can't say for sure. But suppose your in an accident and spend a week in the hospital. I would assume this week wouldn't be covered if you buy insurance after the week. I believe you can't be denied insurance, but would hope they don't have to pay for bills before you had insurance.

Last edited:
The new premium rates do not affect a majority of New Yorkers, who receive insurance through their employers, only those who must purchase it on their own. Because the cost of individual coverage has soared, only 17,000 New Yorkers currently buy insurance on their own. About 2.6 million are uninsured in New York State.

Idiot

What's your point? Most people do get their insurance through their employer. The exchanges are currently for the individual market and they are finding in NY the same thing they found in CA...the exchanges lower the cost of individual plans.

:eusa_think: right so, obama scheme is working, oh no its not, oh wait yes it is; because that was his plan along along, the whole fight over this, so as to get the employer mandate, create a new full time employment benchmark, was a cleverly crafted plot...:clap2:

Ipso- hes not going to enforce ( and never intended to) the employer mandate so as to get people off employer based insurance, into the individual market........ were it will be.......wait for it.....- 'cheaper':lol:

The title of the thread says NY rates drop 50%. So either the Op is a liar, highly ignorant or both.

Read the NYTimes you stupid idiot ....

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/17/h...t-for-new-yorkers-set-to-fall-50.html?hp&_r=0

I already read, and quoted the article, dullard. Only poor people who go searching for their own insurance will see rate "drops". Those of us who already have insurance will see no such thing. in fact, with other rules in Obama Tax, there will likely be increases.

Let's also not forget all the folks who are going to have their hours slashed so employers dont have to provide something they can not.

It's a really great article if youre poor and want other people's money so you can have something. For everyone else, it's simply going to be burdensome.

Given how long and complicated Obama care is I can't say for sure. But suppose your in an accident and spend a week in the hospital. I would assume this week wouldn't be covered if you buy insurance after the week. I believe you can't be denied insurance, bu would hope they don't pay for bills before you had insurance.

Yeah I agree, I don't know either. Does anyone here know how long does it take to get insurance? Does ACA place any limits on that - Does insurance have to cover you from the day you sent in the application?

One option would also be to have catastrophic insurance, since that most likely covers such unexpected health related more disaster type of things.

I also don't know is what are the minimum insurance requirements, if you buy a cheap insurance you may still have to pay for treatment, or it may not cover something at all.

There are many questions for sure, and I am too lazy to dig through the law.

Lets also not forget that this is only insurance rates. If co-pays stay the same, you might save $300 a year on insurance costs, but could spend $1,500 to get things covered. Where in the story does it tell us about those policies? Will co-payments go down too? Will more be covered? Are practice rates going to drop?

It's like cheering over 1/10 of a percent of the entire story. Of course, it is the NY Slimes.

Read the NYTimes you stupid idiot ....

let me pull out some key phrases/snippets form the article as there are some folks here who don't seem to be able to think of more than one thing at a time, and have next to zero, even on a fundamental basis critical thinking skills-

examples of phrases from the article that some of you might want to consider while employing some basic critical thinking, playing devils advocate and remembering; all that glitters, is not gold and- there is NO free lunch;

-With federal subsidies, the cost will be even lower.

- which they say are spurring competition among insurers that are anticipating an influx of new customers.

-about three-quarters of those people will be eligible for the subsidies available to lower-income individuals.

-The least expensive plans, some offered by newcomers to the market, may not offer wide access to hospitals and doctors, experts said.

-Many of these are insurers specializing in Medicaid plans that cater to low-income individuals. [/I]

-With no ability to persuade the young and the healthy to buy policies, the state’s premiums have long been among the highest in the nation. “If there was any state that the A.C.A. could bring rates down, it was New York,” said Timothy Jost, a law professor at Washington and Lee University who closely follows the federal law.

Forum List

Back