Union vote in Tennessee could be labor rally point

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
this will be interesting next week

Volkswagen union vote: Chattanooga, Tenn, could be labor rally point

Workers at the Volkswagen assembly plan in Chattanooga, Tenn., will vote next week on whether to join the United Auto Workers union.

If the majority of the nearly 2,000 hourly employees decide to become part of the UAW, unionization in the U.S. could take a major step forward, said one analyst.

"It would symbolically be a major victory for organized labor," explained Jason Bent, a professor of employment law at Stetson University College of Law.

Bent added that because the vote is in a Southern right-to-work state that has been resistant to unionization, it's a major opportunity for organizing across the region.

(Read more: Private firms create fewer jobs than expected)

But if the vote goes negative, unions will likely suffer a big setback, said James Matthews III, an employment lawyer with Fox Rothschild.

"It would be a major black eye for the UAW," explained Matthews. "You have a situation where the company agreed to an election and you still can't get a majority vote. It doesn't say much for the UAW and labor."

*snip*

The secret-ballot vote in Chattanooga, scheduled for Feb. 12-14, was set by the National Labor Relations Board after Germany-based Volkswagen and the UAW reached an agreement Tuesday to let the workers have their say.

Workers at the Volkswagen assembly plan in Chattanooga, Tenn., will vote next week on whether to join the United Auto Workers union.

If the majority of the nearly 2,000 hourly employees decide to become part of the UAW, unionization in the U.S. could take a major step forward, said one analyst.

"It would symbolically be a major victory for organized labor," explained Jason Bent, a professor of employment law at Stetson University College of Law.

Bent added that because the vote is in a Southern right-to-work state that has been resistant to unionization, it's a major opportunity for organizing across the region.

But if the vote goes negative, unions will likely suffer a big setback, said James Matthews III, an employment lawyer with Fox Rothschild.

"It would be a major black eye for the UAW," explained Matthews. "You have a situation where the company agreed to an election and you still can't get a majority vote. It doesn't say much for the UAW and labor."

*snip*

The secret-ballot vote in Chattanooga, scheduled for Feb. 12-14, was set by the National Labor Relations Board after Germany-based Volkswagen and the UAW reached an agreement Tuesday to let the workers have their say.

We need more unions, but we need less corruption within those unions.

*snip*

I read they will set it up as a german style council board union.

We had a really good set up and working relationship at the Tennessee Saturn plant with the union while my husband was there in the 90's.

But then over time, bit by bit the heavy hand from the north started infiltrating and in the end really made things go for shit at the plant. By then my husband had been moved to Chrysler Bramalea and walked into living hell again with a union that was too corrupt.

Glad he left the automotive business.

They had a good idea with Saturn. Now i know the rest of the story

They had a good idea with Saturn. Now i know the rest of the story

It was a pity that it crashed in the end. We were there for the glory days. My husband was part of the Canadian team that developed water borne paints and some of his colors were going on the cars.

We got shipped down as part of the PPG tech support team to make this "new" paint work.

It's really true by the way that any worker could stop the line.

I could tell so many great stories about Saturn in those days and how Union and Management worked so well together. It was a dream. Of course there were flare ups but those were taken to the "war room" and nobody got out until what ever issue was settled.

:eusa_angel:

Glory days. I miss Tennessee. Definitely a bit of heaven on earth.

If any of you saw Saturn's in the 90's my husband had a hand in developing all the paints but most of these colors were his. He just emailed me back.

I HAD A HAND IN ALL OF THEM BUT I DID THE MOST ON
RED METALLIC
STRAIGHT SHADE RED
WHITE
SILVER
MAGENTA

BUT, ALL OF AQUAMARINE WAS MINE

Pretty cool eh? It was fun seeing Saturns drive by with his paint on them.

Last edited:

*snip*

Because every industry that has had strong union presence has done well, right?

If any of you saw Saturn's in the 90's my husband had a hand in developing all the paints but most of these colors were his. He just emailed me back.

I HAD A HAND IN ALL OF THEM BUT I DID THE MOST ON
RED METALLIC
STRAIGHT SHADE RED
WHITE
SILVER
MAGENTA

BUT, ALL OF AQUAMARINE WAS MINE

Pretty cool eh? It was fun seeing Saturns drive by with his paint on them.
Yea I always got a kick out of the plastic stuff I had a hand at injection molding on cars and sold in stores in stuff. Every product has a story.

Last edited:

Well, regardless whether workers vote to join the United Auto Workers Union, the fact remains that Tennessee is a Right to Work State. The means that those workers who want no part of the union, are not required by law to join. Which is the way it should be. Joining a union should not ever be a condition of employment, having the right credentials should.

What is so intresting to me is VW wants a union there. Have they not read up on American unions? I wonder if they could domestic them in the German union way?

Forum List

Back