Universal Background Checks: the Liberal Holy Grail

Wehrwolfen

May 22, 2012
By Rick Averill
March 22, 2013

Feinstein's assault rifle ban has been removed from the Senate gun-control bill. While that is good news, it was recognized from the beginning as a bridge too far. What has survived, and may well become law, all in the spirit of bipartisan compromise, will actually be far worse.

The goals of the left have always been shrouded in deception and misrepresentation. Hide your true agenda behind a deceitful argument and then, after grabbing power, do what you really meant to do all along. That is what Hitler, Lenin, Mao, Castro and Obama have all done. By controlling the terms of the discussion, the left controls the argument. Actual Assault Rifles are not sold to the general public. The left invented the term "assault-style rifles" and the next thing you know assault-style rifles become assault rifles.

Fully automatic firearms have been restricted since the 1930s but recently the left has started combining "automatic and semi-automatic" weapons as one type of weapon. Another one of the left's favorite misnomers is the term "gun-show loophole." Loopholes, of course, are a way of skirting the law. They must be bad. Any chance to demonize firearms, like connecting the term "gun shows" with questionably legal practices like loopholes, is a win/win for the liberal media. The real goal behind closing the gun show loophole is actually to confiscate your personal property.

First of all, there is no gun show loophole. People who sell firearms at gun shows are licensed Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers to begin with. Other people can set up a table at a gun show to sell tee shirts, laser sights, hand grips and other shooting accessories. Unless they are FFL dealers, they cannot sell guns. If you read articles by journalists who visited gun shows, read carefully what they write because you will discover they will mix buying a tee shirt with buying an AR-15 and state that is some cases, they didn't even need a background check. The LIV reads the article and goes away thinking, "Wow, he bought an assault rifle at a gun show without any background check." Actually he bought the tee shirt without the background check but combined multiple purchases to mislead the reader. People do sell guns at gun shows without a background check, but those people are you and me. I went to a gun show last summer and brought my Walther PPK with me. I brought it because I wanted to make a side-by-side comparison with a new gun that I thought I might find at the show. (And yes, I actually did find the gun and held it side by side with my Walther) When I checked in my firearm at the gate, there was a man stationed right next to the check-in table. He took one look at my PPK and asked, "Do you want to sell it?" No, I had no intention of selling my pistol, but he worked for one of the vendors and his job was to identify attendees who owned a firearm that they might be interested in selling. Like anybody else there, I could have sold my PPK to any of the FFL vendors (already cleared front, back, and sideways by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives [BATFE]) and I would not have phoned in a background check on the gun dealer. THAT is the actual "gun-show loophole".

The left is seeking to fix the "gun-show loophole" problem with what they call a universal background check. It is all part of what Obama collectively terms a "common sense" approach to reasonable and responsible gun laws. First of all, the law would restrict law abiding citizens and have NO EFFECT on criminals obtaining guns. Watch the TV show "Sons of Anarchy" to get clued in to what a big business selling guns illegally really is. The left knows this, but they have no interest in actually cutting back on crime. What they really want is to disarm all of us who obey the law. Passing a universal background check law is how they will make firearm ownership illegal, and thereby confiscate our guns.

Read more:
Articles: Universal Background Checks: the Liberal Holy Grail

Let's go with the flow and have truly universal background checks - on every single one of our Constitutional rights. Freedom is a responsibility and we should all be required to prove we are worthy via a gauntlet of stringent supervision.

Let's go with the flow and have truly universal background checks - on every single one of our Constitutional rights. Freedom is a responsibility and we should all be required to prove we are worthy via a gauntlet of stringent supervision.
If you tried to apply background checks to free speech, they'd call it prior restraint and have a hissy fit.

If you tried to apply background checks to free speech, they'd call it prior restraint and have a hissy fit.

Too bad. We should be consistent. No one should be free until they've proven they truly deserve it.

Forum List

Back