Urban Myths ~ and other legends, myths, and tales

Stryder50

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2021
Lacking a suitable thread, I'll start this one with this article. It's title gives a clue to content. And provides a starting point;

11 Terrifying Urban Legends That Turned Out to Be True​

Urban legends often come with a dose of skepticism. But sometimes, these stories turn out to be true.

And some myths survive quite well.

Plenty of people still believe we only use 10% of our brain. Even more believe that you can see the Great Wall of China from space.

When I was around 9 years old we moved into a new to us home with a reputation of a ghost living in a closet... we never paid it any mind but there was a hall closet that the light kept turning on seemingly by itself... still didn't think anything of it... but it kept happening... then my mom made a fiend that lived down the street and she told my mother about the "urban legend" of a spirit of a woman that died after being beaten and locked or nailed shut in that very closet... so my mother took the bulb out... problem solved... I always thought it was my sister playing a prank but talking to her a few years ago she swore she didn't do it... and she said she heard noises coming from that closet late at night...

Last edited:
Lacking a suitable thread, I'll start this one with this article. It's title gives a clue to content. And provides a starting point;

11 Terrifying Urban Legends That Turned Out to Be True​

Urban legends often come with a dose of skepticism. But sometimes, these stories turn out to be true.

i will read it now

And some myths survive quite well.

Plenty of people still believe we only use 10% of our brain. Even more believe that you can see the Great Wall of China from space.
That 10% fable was disproved long ago, agreed.
As for Great Wall of China, certainly with telescopic devices it can be seen. USA has long had spy sats with resolutions that can dang near read vehicle license plates. IIRC, astronauts in LEO have seen and maybe photographed the Great Wall.

Forum List

Back