US JUDGE GETS 28 YEARS FOR SELLING CHILDREN TO PRIVATE PRISONS

My question is why aren't those who own that private prison who paid that judge being prosecuted for their crimes?

They walk away with millions of tax dollars received through fraud and corruption yet they don't face any consequences for their crimes.

The judges aren't the only guilty criminals here. The owners of the for profit prisons are also guilty but if you're a rich business person the laws don't apply to you.

Because Corporations arent people ONLY when it applies to looking for someone to hold accountable for the companies actions.

The people in the corporation committed crimes. The corporation is liable but the corporation isn't the one who schemed to commit fraud. The people who run the corporations did that.

Those people who committed those crimes should be prosecuted for the crimes they committed. They should have to pay back all the money they got from fraud with interest.

There was a time when our justice system prosecuted all those who commit crimes. Seems like ever since the bush boy those who commit corporate fraud and crimes are no longer prosecuted. It's the african Americans and low income people who have a little pot on them or commits a minor infraction who go to jail.

Because private prisons is more about suckling private corps dick than about political parties.

When your profit comes from taking away people's freedom and they have a bottom line to meet, guess who loses?
that post is so full of absolute ignorance, it's shocking.

prisons don't take away freedom, the criminals actions see to that.

this judge, this one judge, is clearly incompetent and criminal on many levels

This isn't an isolated case. In states with private prisons, the rate of incarceration starts climbing as soon as the contracts are signed. Those guaranteed occupancy quotas have to be met.

And the vast majority of those imprisoned are Hispanic or black. The prisons then hire these workers out to for profit corporations at rates much lower than minimum wage. The prisoners are paid pennies per hour and the prisons pocket the rest. Modern day slavery.
link

and in regular prison, prisoners get to work jobs, they are NOT forced, so your slavery comment is a complete and utter lie.
No, not forcerd at all unless of course they want basic 'privileges.' Prisons hold EXTREME sway over inmates (as they should) and thus have the complete capability to force them to work. I do not oppose criminals working - they should be required to work IMHO - but I STRONGLY oppose them working for any type of profit motive. The very idea is sick. There are plenty of jobs that they can accomplish for the state without selling the labor to companies.

Prison labor sold to private companies is unacceptable:
Prison Labor Booms As Unemployment Remains High Companies Reap Benefits
Yes. How horrible that those who say they paid their debt to society actually mean it. They should live completely on the taxpayer dole and do nothing to mitigate their cost to society.

Sarcasm alert.
Interesting. Did you even bother to read my post? Of course not. Now go back and read it child before looking like an idiot.

My question is why aren't those who own that private prison who paid that judge being prosecuted for their crimes?

They walk away with millions of tax dollars received through fraud and corruption yet they don't face any consequences for their crimes.

The judges aren't the only guilty criminals here. The owners of the for profit prisons are also guilty but if you're a rich business person the laws don't apply to you.

Because Corporations arent people ONLY when it applies to looking for someone to hold accountable for the companies actions.

The people in the corporation committed crimes. The corporation is liable but the corporation isn't the one who schemed to commit fraud. The people who run the corporations did that.

Those people who committed those crimes should be prosecuted for the crimes they committed. They should have to pay back all the money they got from fraud with interest.

There was a time when our justice system prosecuted all those who commit crimes. Seems like ever since the bush boy those who commit corporate fraud and crimes are no longer prosecuted. It's the african Americans and low income people who have a little pot on them or commits a minor infraction who go to jail.
Because you need evidence for that and that is no small thing.

What a horrible idea...private (for profit) juvenile centers and adult prisons. What a horrible idea...but my Republican Governor is all for em!
Plenty of states have voted to allow unregulated, and unrestricted fracking. Selling out local communities to the private sector is the role of politicians.

What a horrible idea...private (for profit) juvenile centers and adult prisons. What a horrible idea...but my Republican Governor is all for em!
Plenty of states have voted to allow unregulated, and unrestricted fracking. Selling out local communities to the private sector is the role of politicians.

It certainly is for Republican's. Here in my state, as soon as a study showed how fracking was causing earthquakes, the State Energy Committee went out and passed a law to outlaw fracking bans. It passed by 10-1

Senate Energy Committee

Bryce Marlatt-Republican

AJ Griffin-Republican

Randy Bass-Democrat

Rick Brinkley- Republican

Brian Crain-Republican

Eddie Fields-Republican

Clarck Jolley-Republcan

Ron Justice-Republican

Kyle Loveless-Republican

Ralph Shortey-Republican

Rob Standridge-Republican

Charles Wyrick-Democrat

Greg Treat-Republican

that post is so full of absolute ignorance, it's shocking.

prisons don't take away freedom, the criminals actions see to that.

this judge, this one judge, is clearly incompetent and criminal on many levels

This isn't an isolated case. In states with private prisons, the rate of incarceration starts climbing as soon as the contracts are signed. Those guaranteed occupancy quotas have to be met.

And the vast majority of those imprisoned are Hispanic or black. The prisons then hire these workers out to for profit corporations at rates much lower than minimum wage. The prisoners are paid pennies per hour and the prisons pocket the rest. Modern day slavery.
link

and in regular prison, prisoners get to work jobs, they are NOT forced, so your slavery comment is a complete and utter lie.
No, not forcerd at all unless of course they want basic 'privileges.' Prisons hold EXTREME sway over inmates (as they should) and thus have the complete capability to force them to work. I do not oppose criminals working - they should be required to work IMHO - but I STRONGLY oppose them working for any type of profit motive. The very idea is sick. There are plenty of jobs that they can accomplish for the state without selling the labor to companies.

Yes. How horrible that those who say they paid their debt to society actually mean it. They should live completely on the taxpayer dole and do nothing to mitigate their cost to society.

Sarcasm alert.
Interesting. Did you even bother to read my post? Of course not. Now go back and read it child before looking like an idiot.
Yes I read your post. It was stupid beyond belief. That's thirty seconds of my life I'll never get back.

link

Sarcasm alert.
Yes I read your post. It was stupid beyond belief. That's thirty seconds of my life I'll never get back.
Considering that you still fail to see how your comments are false I’ll take that as a no. (psst: I directly sated I supported prison labor)
Carry on in your ignorance - it affects me not.

Naw, that crap started with Clinton back in the 1990's when he helped flood our cities & towns with more cops than you can shake a stick at.

courthouse_kickbacks_8288491_wide-373e355d76819fae7501e333bda2eb00057fa6d4-s800-c85.jpg

The AP adds:

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Read the entire article @ Pa. Judge Sentenced To 28 Years In Massive Juvenile Justice Bribery Scandal The Two-Way NPR

It sucks that Robert Mericle was only handed a 1 year prison sentence, when he should be doing 30.

Not nearly enough. This sort of abuse of power, for personal gain, absolutely deserves the death penalty, and I am not a huge supporter of that final punishment. But this is beyond the pale.

It goes both ways. Take Harry Reid for example, recipient of substantial amounts of illegal campaign donations merely had to give up the money while the donors were prosecuted & sentenced to lengthy prison terms.
Yep. And they haven't forgotten.

harry-reid-injured-eye-AFP-640x480.jpg

That's a fact.

link

Sarcasm alert.
Considering that you still fail to see how your comments are false I’ll take that as a no. (psst: I directly sated I supported prison labor)
Carry on in your ignorance - it affects me not.
I know what you "sated". For profit labor should be a part of every prison so that prisoners don't cost $28,000 a year to house. They can make furniture, work gravel pits, lay train rails, etc. It's unnerving to hear felons talk about how they paid their debt to society when in fact they procured one.

Make those assholes work and fewer will want to go there.

courthouse_kickbacks_8288491_wide-373e355d76819fae7501e333bda2eb00057fa6d4-s800-c85.jpg

The AP adds:

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Read the entire article @ Pa. Judge Sentenced To 28 Years In Massive Juvenile Justice Bribery Scandal The Two-Way NPR

It sucks that Robert Mericle was only handed a 1 year prison sentence, when he should be doing 30.

28 years? What an injustice. This man should be behind bars for life. This is a disgrace. If an ordinary citizen took just one child and sold him, he'd probably get 25 years just for that one kid.

The AP adds:

28 years? What an injustice. This man should be behind bars for life. This is a disgrace. If an ordinary citizen took just one child and sold him, he'd probably get 25 years just for that one kid.
The time does not matter all that much.

Do you think that the judge will survive in prison? I doubt it.

I know what you "sated". For profit labor should be a part of every prison so that prisoners don't cost $28,000 a year to house. They can make furniture, work gravel pits, lay train rails, etc. It's unnerving to hear felons talk about how they paid their debt to society when in fact they procured one.

You are too stupid to be one person. You are agreeing that those who break the law should be moved to slave labor camps.

If prisoners are to do "for profit" labor, it is slavery, as corporations aren't paying minimum wages for their work, and the prisoners are not receiving wages for their work. Those corporations who use this slave labor, have a competitive edge over competitors who use paid labor, giving them an unfair advantage.

The practice of forcing prisoners to work for at profit corporations encourages judges to send as many people to prison as possible to meet the demands for slave labor.

You are too stupid to be one person. You are agreeing that those who break the law should be moved to slave labor camps.

If prisoners are to do "for profit" labor, it is slavery, as corporations aren't paying minimum wages for their work, and the prisoners are not receiving wages for their work. Those corporations who use this slave labor, have a competitive edge over competitors who use paid labor, giving them an unfair advantage.

The practice of forcing prisoners to work for at profit corporations encourages judges to send as many people to prison as possible to meet the demands for slave labor.
Having people pay for their room and board is not slave labor. It's funny how stupid people are calling me stupid. When you pay someone they are not slaves and even today prisoners work to fund their spending accounts. If you think that's slavery, you're an idiot.

Having people pay for their room and board is not slave labor. It's funny how stupid people are calling me stupid. When you pay someone they are not slaves and even today prisoners work to fund their spending accounts. If you think that's slavery, you're an idiot.

If you can't see what's wrong with these ideas, it's hard to think you are anything but stupid.

1. The prisoners are not paying for their room and board - you are. The money paid by the corporations hiring the slaves, is going to the corporations who run the prisons, not the taxpayers. And the corporations hiring the slaves are getting tax breaks from the government for doing so, you're paying twice for their slaves.

2. The corporations who run the prisons are not giving discounts to the government based on the prisoners' earnings. They also have contracts with the government to keep the for profit prisons full, ensuring a steady source of workers, and encouraging judges to incarcerate people for petty crimes, to meet the quotas, again, costing the tax payers more money.

3. The prisoners get sent to the for profit prisons first, meaning that the government run institutions get more costly on a per capita basis because they only receive prisoners when the for profit prisons are at capacity.

4. Honest, hard working people are deprived of jobs which go to prison slaves.

So the tax payers are getting hosed, businesses who don't hire slave labor are at a competitive disadvantage, and a lot of people who should be on probation are being sent to jail to meet quotas, and you're paying for it all.

And this doesn't even touch on the morality of slave labor.

If you can't see what's wrong with these ideas, it's hard to think you are anything but stupid.

1. The prisoners are not paying for their room and board - you are. The money paid by the corporations hiring the slaves, is going to the corporations who run the prisons, not the taxpayers. And the corporations hiring the slaves are getting tax breaks from the government for doing so, you're paying twice for their slaves.

2. The corporations who run the prisons are not giving discounts to the government based on the prisoners' earnings. They also have contracts with the government to keep the for profit prisons full, ensuring a steady source of workers, and encouraging judges to incarcerate people for petty crimes, to meet the quotas, again, costing the tax payers more money.

3. The prisoners get sent to the for profit prisons first, meaning that the government run institutions get more costly on a per capita basis because they only receive prisoners when the for profit prisons are at capacity.

4. Honest, hard working people are deprived of jobs which go to prison slaves.

So the tax payers are getting hosed, businesses who don't hire slave labor are at a competitive disadvantage, and a lot of people who should be on probation are being sent to jail to meet quotas, and you're paying for it all.

And this doesn't even touch on the morality of slave labor.

And none of that really matters as it is utterly eclipsed by the last statement. THAT is what matters more than the rest. My rights are not and should never be subject to a company’s whims or needs.

The problem isn't the prisons. A little critical thought would tell you this.

The problem is and always will be, a government that is so powerful people are helpless to change it. This did not just 'happen' as people were blowing the alarm for years prior. The judicial system needs a strong and apolitical watchdog that has the power to step in and do the right thing when the government gets out of line.

The problem isn't the prisons. A little critical thought would tell you this.

The problem is and always will be, a government that is so powerful people are helpless to change it. This did not just 'happen' as people were blowing the alarm for years prior. The judicial system needs a strong and apolitical watchdog that has the power to step in and do the right thing when the government gets out of line.

Critical thought would tell you that there is a clear corruption problem when establishing for profit institution centered around suppressing rights.
It is not the ultimate source of our judicial problems but is a source and should be eliminated. Work done by inmates should center around the states needs and the needs on the inmates such as growing their own food.

Forum List

Back