US JUDGE GETS 28 YEARS FOR SELLING CHILDREN TO PRIVATE PRISONS

What a horrible idea...private (for profit) juvenile centers and adult prisons. What a horrible idea...but my Republican Governor is all for em!
PA went private under a (D).

I know, I live here as well

Because private prisons is more about suckling private corps dick than about political parties.

When your profit comes from taking away people's freedom and they have a bottom line to meet, guess who loses?
that post is so full of absolute ignorance, it's shocking.

prisons don't take away freedom, the criminals actions see to that.

this judge, this one judge, is clearly incompetent and criminal on many levels

This isn't an isolated case. In states with private prisons, the rate of incarceration starts climbing as soon as the contracts are signed. Those guaranteed occupancy quotas have to be met.

And the vast majority of those imprisoned are Hispanic or black. The prisons then hire these workers out to for profit corporations at rates much lower than minimum wage. The prisoners are paid pennies per hour and the prisons pocket the rest. Modern day slavery.

What a horrible idea...private (for profit) juvenile centers and adult prisons. What a horrible idea...but my Republican Governor is all for em!

Private prisons are a great idea, but you need STRICT policies making sure they aren't abused.
Wherever there is profit to be made from a thing, that thing will be abused. It's in our nature.

courthouse_kickbacks_8288491_wide-373e355d76819fae7501e333bda2eb00057fa6d4-s800-c85.jpg

The AP adds:

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Read the entire article @ Pa. Judge Sentenced To 28 Years In Massive Juvenile Justice Bribery Scandal The Two-Way NPR

It sucks that Robert Mericle was only handed a 1 year prison sentence, when he should be doing 30.

I remember reading about this scumbag years ago. He sentenced a 17 year old kid to one of those facilities for a misdemeanor charge (can't remember what it was) and sentenced him for his entire senior year in high school resulting him in losing his football scholarship. The hard time he did for that year resulted in him going into depression upon his release and eventual suicide. I remember his mother being on the news with a serous extreme vendetta against this judge... not that I blame her.

courthouse_kickbacks_8288491_wide-373e355d76819fae7501e333bda2eb00057fa6d4-s800-c85.jpg

The AP adds:

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court tossed about 4,000 convictions issued by Ciavarella between 2003 and 2008, saying he violated the constitutional rights of the juveniles, including the right to legal counsel and the right to intelligently enter a plea.

Ciavarella, 61, was tried and convicted of racketeering charges earlier this year. His attorneys had asked for a "reasonable" sentence in court papers, saying, in effect, that he's already been punished enough.

"The media attention to this matter has exceeded coverage given to many and almost all capital murders, and despite protestation, he will forever be unjustly branded as the 'Kids for Cash' judge," their sentencing memo said.

Read the entire article @ Pa. Judge Sentenced To 28 Years In Massive Juvenile Justice Bribery Scandal The Two-Way NPR

It sucks that Robert Mericle was only handed a 1 year prison sentence, when he should be doing 30.

I remember reading about this scumbag years ago. He sentenced a 17 year old kid to one of those facilities for a misdemeanor charge (can't remember what it was) and sentenced him for his entire senior year in high school resulting him in losing his football scholarship. The hard time he did for that year resulted in him going into depression upon his release and eventual suicide. I remember his mother being on the news with a serous extreme vendetta against this judge... not that I blame her.

Oops! I got the details wrong:

WATCH Heartbroken mom to crooked judge Rot in hell - NY Daily News

The real issue here is why did it take so long for charges to be brought against this guy? Another question - how many more like him are out there?
There was actually a Law and Order SVU episode on how hard it is to take down a corrupt judge, mostly because the system is set up to protect judges. In this particular episode, there were several victims before a track record could be established to launch an investigation. If you're going to try to get another judge to side against a judge, you better have your pistolas loaded.

Because private prisons is more about suckling private corps dick than about political parties.

When your profit comes from taking away people's freedom and they have a bottom line to meet, guess who loses?

This isn't an isolated case. In states with private prisons, the rate of incarceration starts climbing as soon as the contracts are signed. Those guaranteed occupancy quotas have to be met.

And the vast majority of those imprisoned are Hispanic or black. The prisons then hire these workers out to for profit corporations at rates much lower than minimum wage. The prisoners are paid pennies per hour and the prisons pocket the rest. Modern day slavery.
link

and in regular prison, prisoners get to work jobs, they are NOT forced, so your slavery comment is a complete and utter lie.

The AP adds:

Can you imagine how many lawsuits there will be for unlawful imprisonment? Pennsylvania taxpayers better get ready for a big tax increase.

link

and in regular prison, prisoners get to work jobs, they are NOT forced, so your slavery comment is a complete and utter lie.
No, not forcerd at all unless of course they want basic 'privileges.' Prisons hold EXTREME sway over inmates (as they should) and thus have the complete capability to force them to work. I do not oppose criminals working - they should be required to work IMHO - but I STRONGLY oppose them working for any type of profit motive. The very idea is sick. There are plenty of jobs that they can accomplish for the state without selling the labor to companies.

Prison labor sold to private companies is unacceptable:
Prison Labor Booms As Unemployment Remains High Companies Reap Benefits

The AP adds:

Can you imagine how many lawsuits there will be for unlawful imprisonment? Pennsylvania taxpayers better get ready for a big tax increase.
Social Justice on a for-profit basis; what a concept.

The AP adds:

i wonder if the judge in this case is still behind bars 4 years later?

link

No, not forcerd at all unless of course they want basic 'privileges.' Prisons hold EXTREME sway over inmates (as they should) and thus have the complete capability to force them to work. I do not oppose criminals working - they should be required to work IMHO - but I STRONGLY oppose them working for any type of profit motive. The very idea is sick. There are plenty of jobs that they can accomplish for the state without selling the labor to companies.

Prison labor sold to private companies is unacceptable:
Prison Labor Booms As Unemployment Remains High Companies Reap Benefits
Yes. How horrible that those who say they paid their debt to society actually mean it. They should live completely on the taxpayer dole and do nothing to mitigate their cost to society.

Sarcasm alert.

My question is why aren't those who own that private prison who paid that judge being prosecuted for their crimes?

They walk away with millions of tax dollars received through fraud and corruption yet they don't face any consequences for their crimes.

The judges aren't the only guilty criminals here. The owners of the for profit prisons are also guilty but if you're a rich business person the laws don't apply to you.

My question is why aren't those who own that private prison who paid that judge being prosecuted for their crimes?

They walk away with millions of tax dollars received through fraud and corruption yet they don't face any consequences for their crimes.

The judges aren't the only guilty criminals here. The owners of the for profit prisons are also guilty but if you're a rich business person the laws don't apply to you.

It goes both ways. Take Harry Reid for example, recipient of substantial amounts of illegal campaign donations merely had to give up the money while the donors were prosecuted & sentenced to lengthy prison terms.

Because Corporations arent people ONLY when it applies to looking for someone to hold accountable for the companies actions.

It goes both ways. Take Harry Reid for example, recipient of substantial amounts of illegal campaign donations merely had to give up the money while the donors were prosecuted & sentenced to lengthy prison terms.
Yep. And they haven't forgotten.

harry-reid-injured-eye-AFP-640x480.jpg

Private prisons are a great idea, but you need STRICT policies making sure they aren't abused.

Like hell they are. Nobody would want to be in the industry of private "for profit" prisons if there were strict policies with no abuse. That's how they make their profit.

Most prisons are for-profit nowadays, why we incarcerate so many - it's a business. And why many things that shouldn't be, are illegal. People and whole sectors are making money on keeping things illegal like cannabis.

Forum List

Back