USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as you post that sign and they go ahead and ring the doorbell they are guilty of soliciting.

No soliciting signs means that it is illegal to ring the doorbell since that constitutes soliciting. It doesn't matter if they aren't selling anything either. So if it was me I would just add that I call the cops on solicitors and they will be arrested for trespassing if they don't leave.
I would consider putting up the following sign ... :badgrin:
beware_owner.jpg

I want that sign! I went to the lumber store, and all I found was this prosaic "No Trespassing" sign. Haven't had another grifter selling mud for $80 a pound to seal the roof with since posting it, however.
I've seen a few like "PRIVATE PROPERTY - KEEP OUT" or just "PRIVATE PROPERTY" at Lowes and Home Depot, Becki. I personally would not put up the one about the viscious owner at my home. My conscience would not let me do it since it would give the impression of not being very welcoming. My neighbors would start ribbing me about it, especially getting together to watch football or something.

My daughter called me with a major dilemma today. My oldest granddaughter has become the target of the school bus bullies. And their brand of harassment has a very distinct sexual aspect.
So, the child came home in tears. After intense interrogation, the girl was able to tell my daughter some of what transpired, but not all because it is so...nasty, she does not feel comfortable repeating it.
The little girl (middle school aged) told my daughter that some other children were administering "hand jobs" to others. When asked whether she wanted to participate, she told them they were disgusting. She was then accused of masturbating. She doesn't even know what that means. As the bus was passing a dead skunk, my granddaughter was told to close her legs. There's more, but my daughter has been unable to coax the child into describing it all. These are 11-14 year old kids. My daughter has contacted school authorities but isn't very hopeful that much will be done. She says it is all she can do to resist marching down the street and asking the parents of the boy involved what their son's problem is. She's ready to pull both girls out of public school and home-school them. (The younger girl has also been having problems.)
Any suggestions?

That's so sad, makes me so angry! From my own parenting page I made sure my kids understood being picked on was better than being the trash doing the bullying. Stand strong and never let them see you sweat. And lots of hugs.

My daughter called me with a major dilemma today. My oldest granddaughter has become the target of the school bus bullies. And their brand of harassment has a very distinct sexual aspect.
So, the child came home in tears. After intense interrogation, the girl was able to tell my daughter some of what transpired, but not all because it is so...nasty, she does not feel comfortable repeating it.
The little girl (middle school aged) told my daughter that some other children were administering "hand jobs" to others. When asked whether she wanted to participate, she told them they were disgusting. She was then accused of masturbating. She doesn't even know what that means. As the bus was passing a dead skunk, my granddaughter was told to close her legs. There's more, but my daughter has been unable to coax the child into describing it all. These are 11-14 year old kids. My daughter has contacted school authorities but isn't very hopeful that much will be done. She says it is all she can do to resist marching down the street and asking the parents of the boy involved what their son's problem is. She's ready to pull both girls out of public school and home-school them. (The younger girl has also been having problems.)
Any suggestions?

6 Steps to Take if Your Child Is Being Bullied | Legal News | Lawyers.com

Bullying: Help your child handle a bully - Mayo Clinic

Thanks for the links. I will forward them to my daughter, although she's already done or is doing most of those things. The granddaughter has tried ignoring and walking away, only to get slapped in the back of her head if she turns her back. My daughter also told me she was going to request any plan of action by school officials be provided in writing. Depending on the response from the school, she plans on consulting JAG.

There ya go. Now all she needs is corroboration of the physical contact (slapping) and now the police can get involved.
As minor as it is it's unwanted contact hence it's call an assault. If nothing els it gives your daughter more leverage with the school and can potentially be the basis of a law suit against the school and the bully's parents.
Consulting JAG is one thing, (I don't always trust JAGs motives), She may want to contact a civilian lawyer also.

My friend, Otis, is being released from the hospital today. He is being sent home with hospice care and his outlook is not good. The hospital has done all they can do for him. Being told that he has few days left to live. Although the death of a friend is always a sad thing, sometimes a death can be a blessing. I will miss him.

BBD, your friend will soon be released from grief, pain, and suffering. You and he will be in our prayers. Being a good friend is a good thing.

GW, if people can definitely say the head slapping occurred, bring in the police as quickly as possible.

Good morning, everyone.

Good morning, TGIF!

Today's celeb no. 1 drinking coffee:

tumblr_mezlf53EdS1ql84zho1_500.jpg

That's Jimi Hendrix

I checked some websites about this. That could also be a teapot, but I often serve coffee out of a pot very similar to that.......

[MENTION=41303]katsteve2012[/MENTION]

Also, the baristas at a number of coffee shops like to do his likeness in decorating a cup of java:

article-2306240-192F2022000005DC-961_634x353.jpg

Jimi Hendrix drinking out of dainty tea cups.....doesn't look quite right....:D

Going to go see the move "Heaven Is Real".....heard a lot of good things about it...my friends at Bunco were all giving it the :thup: - has anybody seen it?

Isn't the abacus a device that dates back to 5,000BC in China or something?

I have to do physical therapy for the next few days. Will drop by and answer pms already in my mailbox here as time and energy permits.

Huge hug, everybody! :huddle:

yes, the thing with the little balls that slide.

Hope you are healling well
Thanks, Spoonman. I sweated buckets for two hours of "physical therapy" this afternoon. I pushed the new lawnmower and completed mowing down the grass that grew due to all the lawn equipment having malfunctioned, run into the swamp area and unavailable till late May. The small riding mower had its belt to the blade slip off again, and I don't know how to fix it, and my husband, who used to do all that stuff, can't think it through any more due to his dementia. It's funny how he has some skills, and others have evaporated. :( I have to let go of my little case of denial, quit being co-dependent, and step up to the plate. So I have selected a therapy that keeps me close if he needs me, and completes tasks he used to do with no prompting whatever. The only way to get him to do something is to resort to being a drill sergeant. The only trouble is that makes me cry. Oh, well, as the saying goes, "into each life some rain must fall." :rolleyes:

you have it rough right now becki. hang in there. a little tip. the blade belt should slip on pretty easily with the blade disengaged. the problem is reaching in there, grabbing it and getting it back on the pully. i don't know how much room you have to maneuver under your tractor. put the belt on the least accesible pully first and then on the most and easiest to reach last

Isn't the abacus a device that dates back to 5,000BC in China or something?

I have to do physical therapy for the next few days. Will drop by and answer pms already in my mailbox here as time and energy permits.

Huge hug, everybody! :huddle:

yes, the thing with the little balls that slide.

Hope you are healling well
Thanks, Spoonman. I sweated buckets for two hours of "physical therapy" this afternoon. I pushed the new lawnmower and completed mowing down the grass that grew due to all the lawn equipment having malfunctioned, run into the swamp area and unavailable till late May. The small riding mower had its belt to the blade slip off again, and I don't know how to fix it, and my husband, who used to do all that stuff, can't think it through any more due to his dementia. It's funny how he has some skills, and others have evaporated. :( I have to let go of my little case of denial, quit being co-dependent, and step up to the plate. So I have selected a therapy that keeps me close if he needs me, and completes tasks he used to do with no prompting whatever. The only way to get him to do something is to resort to being a drill sergeant. The only trouble is that makes me cry. Oh, well, as the saying goes, "into each life some rain must fall." :rolleyes:

Keep on keeping on, becki. Thinking of you.

Any suggestions?

Yes, first and foremost your daughter needs to set an example for your granddaughter that bullying will not be tolerated. She does that by making an appointment to see the principal and no one but the principal. Once there she explains the entire situation and asks what steps the principal intends to take to remedy the problem and by when it will be done.

Whatever the principal says your daughter relays this to your granddaughter. That way she will know what to expect. Your daughter needs to hold the principal accountable. If the principal is going to take action then she needs to check in with your grand daughter and determine if the behavior has stopped.

If the principal won't take any action then it is time to escalate. As a taxpayer your daughter has certain rights and she can exercise them publicly which is the next step in the process. (Why should a bully deprive your granddaughter of the public education that your daughter is paying for?) I have no doubt whatsoever that there are other concerned parents who are equally opposed to bullying at that school. Have your daughter contact the local media and that will bring out the other anti-bullying supporters. (Not unlike you see happening right here. :) )

The important thing here is that your granddaughter learns that she is not alone and that bullying is antisocial behavior that is not allowed. A bullying incident occurred on my daughter's school bus when was in the 2nd grade. She wasn't the target since it was 3rd graders picking in 1st graders. I went right to the principal the following day and the matter was taken care of immediately so there was no need to escalate.

But setting that example worked because when my daughter was a junior she saw a senior bullying a freshman and so she stepped between them and stared down the bully. He backed off even though he was a foot taller and on the football team.

Best of luck to your daughter and granddaughter and positive vibes for a good outcome.

Any suggestions?

I know only too well what your poor grand child is going through, having suffered bullying right from the day I started school to the day I finally left, after enduring enough.

If the school has an anti bullying policy in place, they should take care of the matter, however, sometimes they think its too much trouble, and just think that if they ignore it, the problem will somehow go away.

Your grand daughter should threaten to go to a local media outlet. Schools hate bad publicity, and if members of the public find out that a child is being severely bullied and nothing is being done, you can bet the school will scramble to find a solution.

I discussed both options with my daughter. She's been trying to contact the school, has left voice messages and email. I am concerned that there may be inadequate or even inappropriate action by the school. When my granddaughter reported her problem to the bus driver, she was told he only drives the bus. Other options include home-schooling or requesting a variance to put the child in another school. I suggested that she press charges. What she's described to me is clearly sexual harassment.
I'm glad you have overcome your mistreatment. You seem to be doing quite well for yourself.

Screw the voice mails and emails. Go there in person and refuse to leave until your daughter sees the principal. Make it abundantly clear that this matter will be escalated if it isn't resolved by the school. Bullying is unacceptable and must be stopped. I am willing to bet that there are plenty of other parents who feel exactly the same way in that school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back