USMB Coffee Shop III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would consider putting up the following sign ... :badgrin:
beware_owner.jpg

I can't picture you being vicious...Jughead....:eusa_whistle:
Well ... I was on the wrestling team in high school. Does that count? :D

lol, so was I. when I was a freshman I was in the 94 - 102 lb weight class. which I don't think they even have anymore. I think now it starts at 103. the closest person in weight to me was 138.

In addition to doing medical taxi duty this week, Hombre's volunteer services at the hospital, and three different service type guys (AC man, yard man, and electrician) coming or scheduled this week, we have had a steady steam of folks coming to the front door peddling something--cable/internet/phone companies, window replacement guys, security system people, kids selling stuff for school projects or sports teams etc.. And because so many folks have been invited, you feel you almost have to answer the door just in case. . . .

So I just saw this that my niece posted and wonder if it would help? (I would like to change the 'free beer' to 'free candy' or something though:

1975154_10152119949643801_193429010_n.jpg

I need a sign like that for my property.

In addition to doing medical taxi duty this week, Hombre's volunteer services at the hospital, and three different service type guys (AC man, yard man, and electrician) coming or scheduled this week, we have had a steady steam of folks coming to the front door peddling something--cable/internet/phone companies, window replacement guys, security system people, kids selling stuff for school projects or sports teams etc.. And because so many folks have been invited, you feel you almost have to answer the door just in case. . . .

So I just saw this that my niece posted and wonder if it would help? (I would like to change the 'free beer' to 'free candy' or something though:

As soon as you post that sign and they go ahead and ring the doorbell they are guilty of soliciting.

No soliciting signs means that it is illegal to ring the doorbell since that constitutes soliciting. It doesn't matter if they aren't selling anything either. So if it was me I would just add that I call the cops on solicitors and they will be arrested for trespassing if they don't leave.

Yeah, but I just can't do it you know? It just looks so unfriendly when it's posted. I can't even be snotty to the telephone solicitors, even the ones who are flat out scams, UNLESS they don't take no for an answer. But I'm sure getting good at being able to say no thanks to everybody.

The only ones I really kind of resent are relatives or relatives of friends who have never made a phone call, never bothered to stop by and say 'hi' at a family gathering or otherwise give us the time of day in any way, but then we receive the invitation to the wedding or the baby shower or something else we're expected to spend money on. I suppose I shouldn't feel ungracious about that, but I do. :(

I have to say, if they find their way to my place, they at least deserve some conversation.
Once, long ago, my JW sister sent some "sisters" to my place to proselytize. Within a few minutes, we were trading recipes for smoked salmon. Never got around to god, though...

Hope I haven't missed too much, didn't have time to come online yesterday.

Another great class last night, I am having a really good week! I went to the gym for an hour before class and did half an hour on the treadmill, plus some weights. My muscles were well and truly loose when I got to class, and I think that helped. Our regular warm up gets my body warm, but my muscles are always cold and stiff still.

The class itself was great, I let out a few really loud 'kiai's, which is basically a yell that helps you gain tremendous strength when you do a kick or a punch. First time I have ever done that for Tracy - did it Wednesday night too but I chickened out at the last second and waited for someone else to yell with me. This time I did it on my own. Something I have been terrified of for so long, and I did it. Tracy was very proud of me. :)

My daughter called me with a major dilemma today. My oldest granddaughter has become the target of the school bus bullies. And their brand of harassment has a very distinct sexual aspect.
So, the child came home in tears. After intense interrogation, the girl was able to tell my daughter some of what transpired, but not all because it is so...nasty, she does not feel comfortable repeating it.
The little girl (middle school aged) told my daughter that some other children were administering "hand jobs" to others. When asked whether she wanted to participate, she told them they were disgusting. She was then accused of masturbating. She doesn't even know what that means. As the bus was passing a dead skunk, my granddaughter was told to close her legs. There's more, but my daughter has been unable to coax the child into describing it all. These are 11-14 year old kids. My daughter has contacted school authorities but isn't very hopeful that much will be done. She says it is all she can do to resist marching down the street and asking the parents of the boy involved what their son's problem is. She's ready to pull both girls out of public school and home-school them. (The younger girl has also been having problems.)
Any suggestions?

My daughter called me with a major dilemma today. My oldest granddaughter has become the target of the school bus bullies. And their brand of harassment has a very distinct sexual aspect.
So, the child came home in tears. After intense interrogation, the girl was able to tell my daughter some of what transpired, but not all because it is so...nasty, she does not feel comfortable repeating it.
The little girl (middle school aged) told my daughter that some other children were administering "hand jobs" to others. When asked whether she wanted to participate, she told them they were disgusting. She was then accused of masturbating. She doesn't even know what that means. As the bus was passing a dead skunk, my granddaughter was told to close her legs. There's more, but my daughter has been unable to coax the child into describing it all. These are 11-14 year old kids. My daughter has contacted school authorities but isn't very hopeful that much will be done. She says it is all she can do to resist marching down the street and asking the parents of the boy involved what their son's problem is. She's ready to pull both girls out of public school and home-school them. (The younger girl has also been having problems.)
Any suggestions?

I know only too well what your poor grand child is going through, having suffered bullying right from the day I started school to the day I finally left, after enduring enough.

If the school has an anti bullying policy in place, they should take care of the matter, however, sometimes they think its too much trouble, and just think that if they ignore it, the problem will somehow go away.

Your grand daughter should threaten to go to a local media outlet. Schools hate bad publicity, and if members of the public find out that a child is being severely bullied and nothing is being done, you can bet the school will scramble to find a solution.

Any suggestions?

No way I would subject my child to that. And shame on the school for refusing to deal with it. And I am really big on homeschooling but it does require a great deal of dedication and discipline from the parent to do it. But if that is an option and your daughter is up to it. . . .or if there isn't a good parochial or private school as another option. . . .

Any suggestions?

6 Steps to Take if Your Child Is Being Bullied | Legal News | Lawyers.com

Bullying: Help your child handle a bully - Mayo Clinic

Any suggestions?

Nothing i wouldn't have to spend some time in jail for.....

Any suggestions?

The squeaky wheel gets the grease...both of your granddaughter's parents should be visiting the administration in person and making it very clear that they will continue to be in their office daily until this issue is addressed and resolved. I can guarantee from my experience in education that administrators will pacify those who they think will accept it...they might be intimidated to deal with the parents of bullies because more than likely, they're assholes who have set the example for their kids. I'm sorry that your granddaughter has to deal with such nonsense...growing up is already challenging enough.

One thing to do in a bullying case is document, document, document. Hound the school administration as a school bus is technically school property and the school is required by law to address the problem. Consult with a lawyer, find one that will offer a free consultation. If it can be determined there was any physical contact between the bully and the bullied then contact law enforcement and file a report.
And number one, no matter how upset the parent is do not get emotional! Stay calm but firm in all your dealings with everyone involved and let your child know they are not the one at fault, that he or she did nothing wrong. The child is the injured party here, not the parent, keep that in focus.

Ahhhh, yes. Ribeye steaks for dinner....... I shoulda bought more....... And had seconds......

20110516-cowboy-steak-5.jpg

Took Mrs. BBD out to the Steak Pit in Oregon tonight for supper. She had a Ribeye - well, half of a Ribeye. She brought the other half home in a doggie bag. I ordered a New York Strip Steak. Brought half of mine home too. I can almost bet what will be for lunch tomorrow...:D

One thing to do in a bullying case is document, document, document. Hound the school administration as a school bus is technically school property and the school is required by law to address the problem. Consult with a lawyer, find one that will offer a free consultation. If it can be determined there was any physical contact between the bully and the bullied then contact law enforcement and file a report.
And number one, no matter how upset the parent is do not get emotional! Stay calm but firm in all your dealings with everyone involved and let your child know they are not the one at fault, that he or she did nothing wrong. The child is the injured party here, not the parent, keep that in focus.

When I was in the 7th grade there was a guy on our school bus that was always bulling me. Every day. I didn't pay much attention to him but yet he kept at it. Then one day on the school bus he said that there was going to be a neighborhood football game that afternoon and I had better show up for it because he was going to beat me up at the football game. I got home from school and my mother made me sit down and begin my homework. Well, about 20 minutes later here was this clown and about half of the neighborhood kids and he asked my mother if I could come out and play football with the guys. My mother said I could go so I went. When we got to the football field the bully stated that it was time for him to kick my butt. He hit me and I decided that I had really had all of his crap and that there would be no more of it after today. I beat the snot out of this loudmouth. Of course, about an hour later, he and his mother was at my house and his mother was making all sorts of noise about what a "bad" kid I was. Then it was my turn to talk and I told the story about how he was bullying everybody on the school bus, including me, and he said that today was the day that he was going to beat me up. After his mother heard the other side of the story, and I had beat the snot out of him, for some strange reason he was always fairly nice to everybody. I never had anymore trouble from him.

Last edited:
Isn't the abacus a device that dates back to 5,000BC in China or something?

I have to do physical therapy for the next few days. Will drop by and answer pms already in my mailbox here as time and energy permits.

Huge hug, everybody! :huddle:

yes, the thing with the little balls that slide.

Hope you are healling well
Thanks, Spoonman. I sweated buckets for two hours of "physical therapy" this afternoon. I pushed the new lawnmower and completed mowing down the grass that grew due to all the lawn equipment having malfunctioned, run into the swamp area and unavailable till late May. The small riding mower had its belt to the blade slip off again, and I don't know how to fix it, and my husband, who used to do all that stuff, can't think it through any more due to his dementia. It's funny how he has some skills, and others have evaporated. :( I have to let go of my little case of denial, quit being co-dependent, and step up to the plate. So I have selected a therapy that keeps me close if he needs me, and completes tasks he used to do with no prompting whatever. The only way to get him to do something is to resort to being a drill sergeant. The only trouble is that makes me cry. Oh, well, as the saying goes, "into each life some rain must fall." :rolleyes:

As soon as you post that sign and they go ahead and ring the doorbell they are guilty of soliciting.

No soliciting signs means that it is illegal to ring the doorbell since that constitutes soliciting. It doesn't matter if they aren't selling anything either. So if it was me I would just add that I call the cops on solicitors and they will be arrested for trespassing if they don't leave.
I would consider putting up the following sign ... :badgrin:
beware_owner.jpg

I want that sign! I went to the lumber store, and all I found was this prosaic "No Trespassing" sign. Haven't had another grifter selling mud for $80 a pound to seal the roof with since posting it, however.

When I was in the 7th grade there was a guy on our school bus that was always bulling me. Every day. I didn't pay much attention to him but yet he kept at it. Then one day on the school bus he said that there was going to be a neighborhood football game that afternoon and I had better show up for it because he was going to beat me up at the football game. I got home from school and my mother made me sit down and begin my homework. Well, about 20 minutes later here was this clown and about half of the neighborhood kids and he asked my mother if I could come out and play football with the guys. My mother said I could go so I went. When we got to the football field the bully stated that it was time for him to kick my butt. He hit me and I decided that I had really had all of his crap and that there would be no more of it after today. I beat the snot out of this loudmouth. Of course, about an hour later, he and his mother was at my house and his mother was making all sorts of noise about what a "bad" kid I was. Then it was my turn to talk and I told the story about how he was bullying everybody on the school bus, including me, and he said that today was the day that he was going to beat me up. After his mother heard the other side of the story, and I had beat the snot out of him, for some strange reason he was always fairly nice to everybody. I never had anymore trouble from him.

In the ninth grade we had moved to Florida, on about the second week of school the school bully decided to show me who ran the school. when I was walking by in the hall he shoved me up against the wall, big mistake..... I gave him to the count of three to let me go, he laughed, at three he hit the concrete head first then I broke his nose. I looked up at his cronies who suddenly beat a hasty retreat. No one bothered me after that.
What worked for us won't necessarily work for everyone.
My wife recommended going to Sharper Image and getting a button camera, sewing it on the little girl's shirt and recording the next encounter. Don't know what the legality of that approach is but if it works there's an indisputable audio-video record........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back