USMB Coffee Shop IV

Good morning everybody. Hope everybody has something good planned for the weekend.

12002231_1084376581580152_2424212563945142712_n.jpg

I'm supposed to get the last of the parts for my new PC today, so putting it together and messing with it are my weekend plans......well, that and football, of course! :D
Not building a PC, but getting some new toys myself.
My double cross draw rig (in black) should be here early next week
$(KGrHqRHJCQE8fW7s)6zBPOttUcm8!~~60_35.JPG

and soon after, 2 of these to fill it up.

uberti_1873_cm_charbluepearl.jpg

in .45 Long Colt.
Is that a Uberti?

I have a Ruger Vaquero Birdshead in .45LC with a 4 3/4" barrel, (like Doc Holiday carried), and I holster that in a cross draw bandoleer with ammo loops.
Yup. Uberti is my first choice right now, a bit more than a couple made by Piatta, but they get the best reviews.
Once the rig gets here, I'll go visit some pistols with a wad of cash.
I ordered the rig with 2 strong side holsters so I have a couple options if I want to carry just one weapon.
When Pietta first came out their reproductions were junk, not so anymore, they're just as good as Uberti but still carry some of the negativity from their original offerings.

So my computer is put together, but I'm having problems with Linux Mint :(. It doesn't like the video card I got. I finally got it sorted out after way too long, then screwed it up again. Now I'm hoping I don't need to reinstall completely.

So frustrating! Why can't things just work? :p
Last March (over a year ago) I bought Metal of Honor Warfighter which had to be played on EAs Origin, had nothing but problems playing the game so I pitched a bitch with EA via the BBB and got my money back. Yesterday I reinstalled Origin to give it another try, same problems, well hours later dealing with tech support and finding no solution I finally narrowed it down and discovered the problem myself, it's my high end graphics card on my older system. That triggered my decision to finally upgrade my computer, ordered an AMD Phenom ii x6 processor, a new Gigabyte mobo, 16GBs of DDR 3 RAM, a 4GB NVidia graphics card and a new case, everything else I have.
The DDR 3 2GB card I currently own and the RAM from the computer will go into my wife's desktop.

I got an AMD FX 6300 chip for mine, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, but decided to go with a lower-end video card for now. I got a GeForce GT 730. Only 1GB onboard RAM, but it does use GDDR5.

If I end up needing a better card later I can get it, but I only spent $70 on the one I got. Considering how I tend to get games that don't require huge amounts of graphics power, and I'm still not sure how my games will run on linux anyway, I'm good with it.

I was able, finally, to revert my drivers and fix my problem, but wow it was annoying. Then I had some trouble installing Hearthstone, the Blizzard online card game, but now that's good, too. I'll probably be tweaking little things here and there for the next few weeks. Actually, now that I think of it, I need to go into my BIOS and manually adjust my RAM. It's 1600 but for some reason defaults to 1333. :dunno:

Thankfully the testing with Mint I did prior to putting this new machine together has let me do some basic things quickly. :D

So my computer is put together, but I'm having problems with Linux Mint :(. It doesn't like the video card I got. I finally got it sorted out after way too long, then screwed it up again. Now I'm hoping I don't need to reinstall completely.

Last March (over a year ago) I bought Metal of Honor Warfighter which had to be played on EAs Origin, had nothing but problems playing the game so I pitched a bitch with EA via the BBB and got my money back. Yesterday I reinstalled Origin to give it another try, same problems, well hours later dealing with tech support and finding no solution I finally narrowed it down and discovered the problem myself, it's my high end graphics card on my older system. That triggered my decision to finally upgrade my computer, ordered an AMD Phenom ii x6 processor, a new Gigabyte mobo, 16GBs of DDR 3 RAM, a 4GB NVidia graphics card and a new case, everything else I have.
The DDR 3 2GB card I currently own and the RAM from the computer will go into my wife's desktop.

I've got a couple of games on Origin. One of them I got when it was free, the other I think I've already played and don't know if I'll want to play again. I'll probably stick with Steam and trying to load some games I have but haven't played yet (I have all the Elder Scrolls games, for example) before I give Origin a try on Linux. And of course I still have the Vista machine, so as long as that's running I can play on it, too.

I got an AMD FX 6300 chip for mine, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, but decided to go with a lower-end video card for now. I got a GeForce GT 730. Only 1GB onboard RAM, but it does use GDDR5.

If I end up needing a better card later I can get it, but I only spent $70 on the one I got. Considering how I tend to get games that don't require huge amounts of graphics power, and I'm still not sure how my games will run on linux anyway, I'm good with it.

I was able, finally, to revert my drivers and fix my problem, but wow it was annoying. Then I had some trouble installing Hearthstone, the Blizzard online card game, but now that's good, too. I'll probably be tweaking little things here and there for the next few weeks. Actually, now that I think of it, I need to go into my BIOS and manually adjust my RAM. It's 1600 but for some reason defaults to 1333. :dunno:

Thankfully the testing with Mint I did prior to putting this new machine together has let me do some basic things quickly. :D
What's happening is with new technology hardware coming out almost daily (yeah that's an exaggeration) the Linux people haven't created all the appropriate drivers for all of them not to mention some companies don't play well with Linux. So the latest drivers aren't included with the ISO meaning we have to do the work of finding and fixing to make things work properly. In another year that will not be the case unless even newer technology is introduced that requires a complete new set of drivers, pretty are M$ and some of their affiliated partners are partially to blame,

I've got a couple of games on Origin. One of them I got when it was free, the other I think I've already played and don't know if I'll want to play again. I'll probably stick with Steam and trying to load some games I have but haven't played yet (I have all the Elder Scrolls games, for example) before I give Origin a try on Linux. And of course I still have the Vista machine, so as long as that's running I can play on it, too.
Origin (EA) is having some problems with the fact they're proprietary like Steam was at first, you can only get EA games on Origin. That means they're trying to exist in a vacuum and that doesn't go over very well with most consumers. Origin is either going to have to expand or eventually will go under, hopefully if they take a nose dive they'll finally offer their games on Steam.

What's happening is with new technology hardware coming out almost daily (yeah that's an exaggeration) the Linux people haven't created all the appropriate drivers for all of them not to mention some companies don't play well with Linux. So the latest drivers aren't included with the ISO meaning we have to do the work of finding and fixing to make things work properly. In another year that will not be the case unless even newer technology is introduced that requires a complete new set of drivers, pretty are M$ and some of their affiliated partners are partially to blame,

Using Linux doesn't help. I don't know my way around it well enough, and certainly don't know the coding, to do things that would be simple in Windows. It took me a bunch of searching to try and figure out how to apply drivers I downloaded from Nvidia's site, which were supposed to be for my card and OS type. When I applied the drivers, my PC decided that I was on a laptop with poor resolution and I couldn't access the menu button on the desktop. Then I had to wander through the Mint programs I could access until I found another way to get to the driver manager and go back to the Nvidia drivers you get through Mint. I still don't know if the drivers I got from Nvidia were bad or if the command lines I used to install them were wrong. :p

I think the moral of the story is to do as little as I can with Linux and not trust the instructions I find online if I don't have to, or can't find confirmation elsewhere. :lol:

Using Linux doesn't help. I don't know my way around it well enough, and certainly don't know the coding, to do things that would be simple in Windows. It took me a bunch of searching to try and figure out how to apply drivers I downloaded from Nvidia's site, which were supposed to be for my card and OS type. When I applied the drivers, my PC decided that I was on a laptop with poor resolution and I couldn't access the menu button on the desktop. Then I had to wander through the Mint programs I could access until I found another way to get to the driver manager and go back to the Nvidia drivers you get through Mint. I still don't know if the drivers I got from Nvidia were bad or if the command lines I used to install them were wrong. :p

I think the moral of the story is to do as little as I can with Linux and not trust the instructions I find online if I don't have to, or can't find confirmation elsewhere. :lol:
Generally I find the Mint and Ubuntu forums and Wikis to be the best source, Mint is built on Ubuntu so is very compatible.
I also learned to find solutions that actually showed which commands to use in Terminal, copy and past the commands so I didn't have to type them out and make a mistake. Years ago it was the Radeon cards that didn't play well with Linux and NVidia cards had very few problems. It could be your NVidia drivers didn't install properly, don't know, haven't tried Linux on any of my newer machines.

Good morning everybody. Hope everybody has something good planned for the weekend.

I'm supposed to get the last of the parts for my new PC today, so putting it together and messing with it are my weekend plans......well, that and football, of course! :D

in .45 Long Colt.

You can be like Clint Eastwood! Don't forget your chewing tobacco so you can spit on the neighborhood dogs! :lol:
"The Outlaw Josey Wales," probably my most favorite movie of all time... :beer:

My second favorite Clint next to The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. :)

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Oh, I don't know why I failed to mention, the little one lost her first tooth this morning! She's got a bit of shark teeth, which is when your adult teeth come in behind your baby teeth rather than from directly under. It's apparently common enough, about 10% of kids are supposed to get it. It means we've been watching somewhat closely for her teeth to come out, because it's possible to have your adult teeth come in so far behind the babies that the babies don't get pushed out. She was so excited! :D

in .45 Long Colt.
Is that a Uberti?

I have a Ruger Vaquero Birdshead in .45LC with a 4 3/4" barrel, (like Doc Holiday carried), and I holster that in a cross draw bandoleer with ammo loops.
Yup. Uberti is my first choice right now, a bit more than a couple made by Piatta, but they get the best reviews.
Once the rig gets here, I'll go visit some pistols with a wad of cash.
I ordered the rig with 2 strong side holsters so I have a couple options if I want to carry just one weapon.
When Pietta first came out their reproductions were junk, not so anymore, they're just as good as Uberti but still carry some of the negativity from their original offerings.
Pietta make long guns for Uberti. Their .44-40 Henry replica looks top shelf.

Oh, I don't know why I failed to mention, the little one lost her first tooth this morning! She's got a bit of shark teeth, which is when your adult teeth come in behind your baby teeth rather than from directly under. It's apparently common enough, about 10% of kids are supposed to get it. It means we've been watching somewhat closely for her teeth to come out, because it's possible to have your adult teeth come in so far behind the babies that the babies don't get pushed out. She was so excited! :D

How much is the Tooth Fairy paying these days? :D

She seems to think she will get $5 per tooth. I told her she needs all 4 of her front, bottom teeth to come out, and she says that should get her $20....and 2 quarters. :lol:

I'm guessing the reality will be more like $1.

The second time our household Tooth Fairy forgot his/her duties, our son comes to the breakfast table to announce disgustedly, "Boy we sure do have a fink tooth fairy around here." The tardiness always meant the fairy paid double of course.

Forum List

Back