USMB Coffee Shop IV

Yes, venison cooked properly is very good - however, Mrs. BBD doesn't care for it so I always give my deer to a friend of mine who likes it and knows how to cook it properly. I go over to his place for a meal now and then. He's a big deer hunter too so there is always some in his freezer.

Yes, venison cooked properly is very good - however, Mrs. BBD doesn't care for it so I always give my deer to a friend of mine who likes it and knows how to cook it properly. I go over to his place for a meal now and then. He's a big deer hunter too so there is always some in his freezer.
I've only had venison twice where I actually liked it, it wasn't gamey.

Cold again today and they keep telling us to expect snow. I'll believe it when I see it.
The partner showed up this morning and helped out with the goats. We trimmed the hooves on his eating shit-machines. Not much use for the gelded on a dairy farm but my partner insists on "saving" them. Soooo...he needs to keep up on their maintenance. Dinner later, Thanksgiving leftovers. It's my turn to cook, but I'll have to wait until next Sunday.
Wish I could share BBD's deer. I love venison and I certainly know how to care for it in the field and cook it when I get it home. I kind of miss hunting, but I have little use for 600-900 lbs of meat for just l'il ol' me. Rabbits and squirrels in these parts are actually pretty small.

oh, Shiite! The partner just came in and will not STFU! No woman I know can yak as much (and as randomly) as this guy does!

This is our temp home. They said we can use it (parked) until after Xmas. No hot water, no shower, no hookups, and all of their stuff still in it, so we keept our stuff in the van. We have the black water tank emptied once every two weeks since it isn't just a weekend usage...which costs 55 bucks at each emptying. No stove and no fridge because it is not leveled, so I roll out of the bed unless I use pillows to hold me in. Mrg rolls the other way and the wall holds him in. No , it can't be levred..it in a slanty hill and no other room to put it.
They offered to sell it to us, but again...no place to park it. Space rent for an RV is 60 bucks a night. Driving it to Arizona to look for a place is impossible...it gets about 7 miles to the gallon. Plus, it is very crowded and has a leaky roof. Most of the appliances no longer work, either...level or not. And drafty? Omg..I had to wear 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of pants, gloves, knee warmers my coat, two down blankets last night and I still was cold. So no...I don't want to buy it.

Isn't this fun? Not. Everywhere we turn, it's another wall.
f4fe3c14caa1c6377ab43a88b4a45851.jpg
f486cc6f279df8fc0e9cf2442d202515.jpg
210d3abf18f5f2743e4089bba1f54952.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using USMessageBoard.com mobile app
Look at it this way, it's better than a cardboard box or dirty sleeping bags under a bridge.
I'll kill myself before it comes to that.

This is our temp home. They said we can use it (parked) until after Xmas. No hot water, no shower, no hookups, and all of their stuff still in it, so we keept our stuff in the van. We have the black water tank emptied once every two weeks since it isn't just a weekend usage...which costs 55 bucks at each emptying. No stove and no fridge because it is not leveled, so I roll out of the bed unless I use pillows to hold me in. Mrg rolls the other way and the wall holds him in. No , it can't be levred..it in a slanty hill and no other room to put it.
They offered to sell it to us, but again...no place to park it. Space rent for an RV is 60 bucks a night. Driving it to Arizona to look for a place is impossible...it gets about 7 miles to the gallon. Plus, it is very crowded and has a leaky roof. Most of the appliances no longer work, either...level or not. And drafty? Omg..I had to wear 2 pair of socks, 2 pair of pants, gloves, knee warmers my coat, two down blankets last night and I still was cold. So no...I don't want to buy it.

Isn't this fun? Not. Everywhere we turn, it's another wall.
f4fe3c14caa1c6377ab43a88b4a45851.jpg
f486cc6f279df8fc0e9cf2442d202515.jpg
210d3abf18f5f2743e4089bba1f54952.jpg

Look at it this way, it's better than a cardboard box or dirty sleeping bags under a bridge.
I'll kill myself before it comes to that.

I hope not.

A lot of people who shoot a deer make the mistake of not cutting off the musk glands behind the knees before bleeding it out and guttting it.

No outhouse here, but I do like to pee off my porch every chance I get! lol

If you live in the country, you can do that. :)

The country life is a trade-off. You get far more Freedom, but far less Convenience. No neighbors to be whiny little pooheads over the smoke coming out of my chimney either! :eusa_dance:

True. There were a lot of good points when we lived up on the mountain. You really didn't have to worry about offending or annoying anybody. There were factors I miss--like sitting beside a wood fire and watching a beautiful snowfall outside. Like being able to get out and walk through the pinon forest and commune with nature. We had 100% natural landscaping that required almost no maintenance or yard work at all. And Hombre could pee off the deck. :)

But there are aspects I don't miss at all like shoveling three feet of snow off our large decks or out of a 60-foot double driveway or breaking up the huge ice dams that sometimes formed on the roof. Like the pump dying in the well and days and days of no water while it was pulled and replaced--really expensive process I might add. Like the 10" bear tracks in the front yard. And worrying about the large owls or golden eagles or a coyote snagging a small pet.

But most of all I missed people. I am a people person and it got lonely up there because most people who move up there do so to get away from people. They don't neighbor.

I like waving to the neighbors when I go outside, or having them close by--we all help each other out a lot and any one would be here for us in a flash in any kind of emergency. And I like snagging a gallon of milk or the ingredient I forgot for a recipe being a 10-minute round trip etc. I hate the traffic in the city, but it does have its redeeming qualities too.

The trick to having your cake and eating it too, is finding a town with a population of less than 50, and moving to the outskirts of that. Just far enough out to hear nothing but the ringing in your ears, but close enough to where you can still score 25Mbps internet. This puts things in descending order.

Surrounded by rolling hills of open pastures while still being 0.9 miles from the gas station, which is also the only actual business in town (not even a post office), so it's open from 5am until at least 10pm every night and it tends to have all the odds and ends a typical family would need.

The Ma and Pa stores, feed stores, post office, banks, etc., are all in the next town about 7 miles away; a 7 minute drive at 60 mph with open roads.

The bigger amenities like box stores, big screen theaters, and great dining are about 20 minutes away. Still well within reach, but more effort involved.

All the finer dining, high-end malls, and national attractions are anywhere from 90 minutes to an hour and a half.

View attachment 100090

You make very good points about the labor and maintenance, too, and those are exactly the losses of Convenience that come with the trade-off. Most people wouldn't want the extra work involved, hence most people now live in cities.

When we were on the Mountain we were about 15 miles from the first Albuquerque exit so access to big deal shopping was fairly easy--unless Tijeras Canyon that we had to traverse to get to the other side of the mountain was closed which could happen if there was bad weather. Old Route 66 - two lanes serving as a frontage road for I-40 through the canyon was rarely ever closed though, and those of us with 4WD and who were brave could sometimes get through anyway. We did have a small 'super market' (if you exaggerate) within 2 miles and a small and very expensive gas station within 2 miles and a post office within 2 miles plus a few other amenities along the highway. And I don't think its really easier in town except that we don't have to have the wood burner for heat in town. Yard maintenance is a lot tougher, even though we are xeroscaped, than just letting Mother Nature take care of all of that.

I do know what you are describing though--been there done that--and can't disagree with it. And you are probably in an area where even the rural folks neighbor.

It's always great hearing descriptions of Old Route 66 in other states. I also live within 10 miles of it here in Missouri. :beer:

Hello, first time i come here...tonight i am listening to Roy Orbison i adore that music, merci. my mother like that singer so it remind me of her. she is a wonderful women.

Dalia, so happy you dropped in. I am a HUGE Roy Orbison fan and happy to have a kindred spirit here in that regard. I see you are in France. Are you French?
Damn, I think our cell phones are close to $300 a month.

Yes, but you probably have smartphones and plans that make the most of them. We really just wanted to make and receive calls and text once in awhile Verizon has been good to tailor simple plans like ours for people like us.
I think Ollie is at another board.
is 007 still around?

He is. He stops in every now and then, sort of like you and Olie do, but isn't really active right now.
I think Ollie is at another site.

Yes he is. I am at the same site though I do a lot of my serious debating at yet another; however USMB and especially the Coffee Shop remains my official board home, Ollie does drop in here just to say hi every now and then though.

I haven't been to that board in quite awhile. last time I was there his wife was having some health issues

You probably didn't read back far enough in the Coffee Shop but his wife passed away recently. Ollie is doing well though.

wow, I'm very sorry. it was at least a year ago that I was at that site.

it's been so long, how do you attach a picture here?

Look at your options - the square green icon to the right of the yellow smilies icon is where you can paste you photo URL in - or just code the photo URL yourself.. Or if you are using certain browsers you can just copy some photos and paste them here.
I was trying to post some pictures I have on my hard drive. I got one to work.

How about this folks?

Definitely a reindeer, a domestic animal. It has obviously been raised as a pet, observe its absolute lack of fear of the dogs, among other indications. Caribou are wild relatives of reindeer. It is a cute video, though. I used to keep llamas and alpacas, but their non-domestic cousins include guanacos and vicunas still roam in their native habitat in South America. Similar situation as reindeer vs. caribou.

A lot of people who shoot a deer make the mistake of not cutting off the musk glands behind the knees before bleeding it out and guttting it.
My dad liked the gamey taste so guess what, the musk glands weren't cut out right away........ and people wondered why I never liked venison till I finally found someone who knew how to gut it properly.

If you live in the country, you can do that. :)

The country life is a trade-off. You get far more Freedom, but far less Convenience. No neighbors to be whiny little pooheads over the smoke coming out of my chimney either! :eusa_dance:

True. There were a lot of good points when we lived up on the mountain. You really didn't have to worry about offending or annoying anybody. There were factors I miss--like sitting beside a wood fire and watching a beautiful snowfall outside. Like being able to get out and walk through the pinon forest and commune with nature. We had 100% natural landscaping that required almost no maintenance or yard work at all. And Hombre could pee off the deck. :)

But there are aspects I don't miss at all like shoveling three feet of snow off our large decks or out of a 60-foot double driveway or breaking up the huge ice dams that sometimes formed on the roof. Like the pump dying in the well and days and days of no water while it was pulled and replaced--really expensive process I might add. Like the 10" bear tracks in the front yard. And worrying about the large owls or golden eagles or a coyote snagging a small pet.

But most of all I missed people. I am a people person and it got lonely up there because most people who move up there do so to get away from people. They don't neighbor.

I like waving to the neighbors when I go outside, or having them close by--we all help each other out a lot and any one would be here for us in a flash in any kind of emergency. And I like snagging a gallon of milk or the ingredient I forgot for a recipe being a 10-minute round trip etc. I hate the traffic in the city, but it does have its redeeming qualities too.

The trick to having your cake and eating it too, is finding a town with a population of less than 50, and moving to the outskirts of that. Just far enough out to hear nothing but the ringing in your ears, but close enough to where you can still score 25Mbps internet. This puts things in descending order.

Surrounded by rolling hills of open pastures while still being 0.9 miles from the gas station, which is also the only actual business in town (not even a post office), so it's open from 5am until at least 10pm every night and it tends to have all the odds and ends a typical family would need.

The Ma and Pa stores, feed stores, post office, banks, etc., are all in the next town about 7 miles away; a 7 minute drive at 60 mph with open roads.

The bigger amenities like box stores, big screen theaters, and great dining are about 20 minutes away. Still well within reach, but more effort involved.

All the finer dining, high-end malls, and national attractions are anywhere from 90 minutes to an hour and a half.

View attachment 100090

You make very good points about the labor and maintenance, too, and those are exactly the losses of Convenience that come with the trade-off. Most people wouldn't want the extra work involved, hence most people now live in cities.

When we were on the Mountain we were about 15 miles from the first Albuquerque exit so access to big deal shopping was fairly easy--unless Tijeras Canyon that we had to traverse to get to the other side of the mountain was closed which could happen if there was bad weather. Old Route 66 - two lanes serving as a frontage road for I-40 through the canyon was rarely ever closed though, and those of us with 4WD and who were brave could sometimes get through anyway. We did have a small 'super market' (if you exaggerate) within 2 miles and a small and very expensive gas station within 2 miles and a post office within 2 miles plus a few other amenities along the highway. And I don't think its really easier in town except that we don't have to have the wood burner for heat in town. Yard maintenance is a lot tougher, even though we are xeroscaped, than just letting Mother Nature take care of all of that.

I do know what you are describing though--been there done that--and can't disagree with it. And you are probably in an area where even the rural folks neighbor.

It's always great hearing descriptions of Old Route 66 in other states. I also live within 10 miles of it here in Missouri. :beer:

We are less than 10 miles from Old Route 66 that becomes Central Ave as it passes through Albuquerque. And now I'll always think of you on the other end of it. :)

View attachment 100090

We are less than 10 miles from Old Route 66 that becomes Central Ave as it passes through Albuquerque. And now I'll always think of you on the other end of it. :)
I lived in St. Roberts, MO for 3 years. Signs along I-44 would have near them signs that said "Old Route 66." The original Rt.66 signs had all been removed and sold as souvenirs.

View attachment 100090

I lived in St. Roberts, MO for 3 years. Signs along I-44 would have near them signs that said "Old Route 66." The original Rt.66 signs had all been removed and sold as souvenirs.

Same here. None of the original signs remain anywhere I would suppose.

Forum List

Back