USMB Coffee Shop IV

And good morning all. I have been having those night 'hot flashes' lately too and I thought I was long past that period of my life. Maybe its the alignment of the stars or something?

And I can be so tired I hurt but I just can't make myself go to bed before midnight which means I am up way later than Hombre who is always an early riser. Sometimes he will wake up in the wee hours and can't get back to sleep though and will be up at 3 or 4 in the morning.

I think as much as none of us want to admit it, it is just a syndrome of advancing age maybe?

Or an alien species doing some kind of weird experiments on us? That would be more fun.

And good morning all. I have been having those night 'hot flashes' lately too and I thought I was long past that period of my life. Maybe its the alignment of the stars or something?

And I can be so tired I hurt but I just can't make myself go to bed before midnight which means I am up way later than Hombre who is always an early riser. Sometimes he will wake up in the wee hours and can't get back to sleep though and will be up at 3 or 4 in the morning.

I think as much as none of us want to admit it, it is just a syndrome of advancing age maybe?
Can't fix hot flashes, but the older we become, the less Melatonin our brain produces. Taking a 3-5mg Melatonin an hour before bed helps compensate for that reduction. A WebMD link to hot flashes and sleep is here: How to Sleep After a Hot Flash

Melatonin-Overview
What does natural melatonin do in the body?

Your body has its own internal clock that controls your natural cycle of sleeping and waking hours. In part, your body clock controls how much melatonin your body makes. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then drop in the early morning hours.

Light affects how much melatonin your body produces. During the shorter days of the winter months, your body may produce melatonin either earlier or later in the day than usual. This change can lead to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or winter depression.

Natural melatonin levels slowly drop with age. Some older adults make very small amounts of it or none at all.

Why is melatonin used as a dietary supplement?
Melatonin supplements are sometimes used to treat jet lag or sleep problems (insomnia). Scientists are also looking at other good uses for melatonin, such as:

I just told you. :biggrin:
Hubby can't sleep.
The wife is in bed sound asleep but she had just gone to bed when I woke up. :lol:

I get up when he does because he cant walk well at all when he first wakes up.
I bring in his coffee and liquid pot that needs.It has to be stored in the fridge.
I'm a slave to the dredded MS. :coffee:

My mother has been doing great on her new medication combination. She still chokes on her drinks a lot though. Does your husband do that?

No he doesn't.
Thats whats so strange with this disease, it effects each one differently.
There're doing great in the research dept. with management of it and drugs.
Much better than it was in the 70's and 80's.

Yeah, that is strange. My mother apparently has some weakness in her esophageal muscles that causes a problem with motility. It doesn't happen when she eats though, only with liquids. Other than that little problem, she's been doing quite well. She just has to remember to take small sips of drinks.

My nephew in law here in Albuquerque and also another friend here have been dealings with MS for years and it does indeed affect people differently. And as Peach has described, it flares up and goes into a kind of remission though never to the point that a person is entirely symptom free. But because they do have so much better ways to manage it now, many suffering from it can enjoy a mostly normal life much of the time.

Or an alien species doing some kind of weird experiments on us? That would be more fun.
I went back to bed for an hour and a half, have a headache now. Maybe I should have stayed up........

Can't fix hot flashes, but the older we become, the less Melatonin our brain produces. Taking a 3-5mg Melatonin an hour before bed helps compensate for that reduction. A WebMD link to hot flashes and sleep is here: How to Sleep After a Hot Flash

Melatonin-Overview
What does natural melatonin do in the body?

Your body has its own internal clock that controls your natural cycle of sleeping and waking hours. In part, your body clock controls how much melatonin your body makes. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then drop in the early morning hours.

Light affects how much melatonin your body produces. During the shorter days of the winter months, your body may produce melatonin either earlier or later in the day than usual. This change can lead to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or winter depression.

Natural melatonin levels slowly drop with age. Some older adults make very small amounts of it or none at all.

Why is melatonin used as a dietary supplement?
Melatonin supplements are sometimes used to treat jet lag or sleep problems (insomnia). Scientists are also looking at other good uses for melatonin, such as:

Hi DW - happy you stopped by. I agree that melatonin can help, at least when used intermittently. I found I built up a tolerance for it fairly quickly and it became less effective for me, so I use it only intermittently now--usually when sleeping other than in my own bed.

I am having good results taking a couple of extra strength acetaminophen PM (generic Tylenol) plus a 220mg naproxen a half hour before I retire and I usually then go right to sleep. I will wake up several hours later and generally just cat nap off and on until time to get up, but at least I do usually get several hours of solid sleep.

I went back to bed for an hour and a half, have a headache now. Maybe I should have stayed up........

Or maybe you just need some sinus or allergy meds? Though as I recall those can be problematic for you.

Or maybe you just need some sinus or allergy meds? Though as I recall those can be problematic for you.
Yeah my sinuses are bothering me but no more than normal. It's not unusual for me to take a nap and wake up feeling worse than before I laid down.

Is that you Hossfly and your pet Deer?
No I lifted it off of Facebook. When I was a kid my aunt had a pet deer.

Sweet!
I had a pet turkey when I was a kid at 2 1/2 yrs old.
He was my guard turkey, just like a guard dog, maybe even better. He keep me away from the farms irrigation ditches. :biggrin:

Hombre and I once had a contract to look at every farm and ranch property that State Farm insured in New Mexico. When we called ahead to speak to the property owners, we always asked if there was a dog we needed to worry about. The few that had serious guard dogs would assure us the dog would be inside or penned up when we got there. And some along the east side of the state would tell us they would lock up their guard turkeys. :) Those suckers were mean.

Yes they are including mine.
Everbody yelled at me to come and get him before they came near the farm house.

The farmers/ranchers were good to pen their 'bad' turkeys up when we were there but at one place I was measuring the buildings when here came the turkey--ENORMOUS turkey. I was not sure of his intentions, and we had already been well schooled in guard turkeys so I put my rol-a-tape against his chest to keep him from getting all the way to me--I was careful not to hurt him. And he started walking around so here I was in the middle of clearing holding a turkey off me as he circled me--around and around and around we went until finally the farmer's wife saw the situation and came out to rescue me.

They said he probably wouldn't have hurt me. Probably????
As a child my grandmother kept goats and you had to watch for the billies and not turn your back on them or you would get bruised cheeks. I carried a stick in the barnyard and when they came at me, I would run at them, they would stop and then they'd get a good wack on the horns. Two or three times and they would get the message. The kids would butt anything that moved and would be one or more years old before a whack on the horns would do any good.

Yeah my sinuses are bothering me but no more than normal. It's not unusual for me to take a nap and wake up feeling worse than before I laid down.
Benadryl is a twofer; helps relieve congestion (I have allergies too) and helps induce sleep.

Benadryl is a twofer; helps relieve congestion (I have allergies too) and helps induce sleep.
Benadryl also affects the prostate making urination difficult for those with prostate problems.......... The headache will go away in time.

Sweet!
He was my guard turkey, just like a guard dog, maybe even better. He keep me away from the farms irrigation ditches. :biggrin:

Hombre and I once had a contract to look at every farm and ranch property that State Farm insured in New Mexico. When we called ahead to speak to the property owners, we always asked if there was a dog we needed to worry about. The few that had serious guard dogs would assure us the dog would be inside or penned up when we got there. And some along the east side of the state would tell us they would lock up their guard turkeys. :) Those suckers were mean.

The farmers/ranchers were good to pen their 'bad' turkeys up when we were there but at one place I was measuring the buildings when here came the turkey--ENORMOUS turkey. I was not sure of his intentions, and we had already been well schooled in guard turkeys so I put my rol-a-tape against his chest to keep him from getting all the way to me--I was careful not to hurt him. And he started walking around so here I was in the middle of clearing holding a turkey off me as he circled me--around and around and around we went until finally the farmer's wife saw the situation and came out to rescue me.

As a child my grandmother kept goats and you had to watch for the billies and not turn your back on them or you would get bruised cheeks. I carried a stick in the barnyard and when they came at me, I would run at them, they would stop and then they'd get a good wack on the horns. Two or three times and they would get the message. The kids would butt anything that moved and would be one or more years old before a whack on the horns would do any good.

When I was little, we lived in a teensy NM town with all dirt streets except for the sort of paved highway that passed through town and also served as Main Street. The folks across the street had goats including one old billy who would chase anything that moved if he got out. Which was frequently. We were always cautious.

One of my fondest memories though was of our next door neighbor who was a genuine Beaver Cleaver mom kind of person--always wore clean, crisply starched dresses, always had her hair done just so, her make up on just so, and always wore nylons and stylish shoes with moderate high heels. . . .

. . .and the sight of her sprinting across the street headed for home, her skirt hiked above her knees, the billy goat in hot pursuit. . .she made it to the rough hewn wood fence between her property and ours and LEAPED onto the top of it just in time. . .

Priceless.

Last edited:
Is that you Hossfly and your pet Deer?

Sweet!

Not probably, would have tried his best to if not actually.

Tom was huge too. He attacked everything, including some of the smaller wild hogs in the slaughter pens.
It seemed to be a great game for him.
I named him Tom because that's all I heard from the adults.
WHAT! I was,( 2 )I didnt know . :biggrin:
That Tom turkey did it again, that tom turkey attacked so and so ,bloody calves. :laugh:
The top of my head came up to the bottom of his neck.
I could hide easily behind one of his wings when he held them outstreached or behind his fanned out tail feathers.

Hello, first time i come here...tonight i am listening to Roy Orbison i adore that music, merci. my mother like that singer so it remind me of her. she is a wonderful women.

Hi Dalia and so happy you found us and joined in. I am an all time avid Roy Orbison fan so we are kindred spirits in that regard. I see you are in Paris. Are you French or just living there? We are becoming sort of an international Coffee Shop lately and that really makes it fun.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage. (Actually they all are but we like to welcome new friends with something special): The drinks are lethal or benign as you prefer. ::)

French_Martini.jpg

Bonsoir, thank you very much for the drink Foxfire give_rose-1e88.gifi am fan of Roy Orbison last year in the same time of the year christmas time i did bought the Monument singles collection form ebay you could see the monument record on tv and i am born in Canada but i been living in France Région Lyon for a longtime now.

I offer to peoples tonight a cocktail
4621.gif

Hello, first time i come here...tonight i am listening to Roy Orbison i adore that music, merci. my mother like that singer so it remind me of her. she is a wonderful women.

Hi Dalia and so happy you found us and joined in. I am an all time avid Roy Orbison fan so we are kindred spirits in that regard. I see you are in Paris. Are you French or just living there? We are becoming sort of an international Coffee Shop lately and that really makes it fun.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage. (Actually they all are but we like to welcome new friends with something special): The drinks are lethal or benign as you prefer. ::)

French_Martini.jpg

Bonsoir, thank you very much for the drink Foxfire View attachment 100224i am fan of Roy Orbison last year in the same time of the year christmas time i did bought the Monument singles collection form ebay you could see the monument record on tv and i am born in Canada but i been living in France Région Lyon for a longtime now.

4621.gif

Well Canadian or French, you are most welcome Dalia. And your cocktail offering is much more beautiful and impressive than mine was. Thank you. :)

Last edited:

French_Martini.jpg

Bonsoir, thank you very much for the drink Foxfire View attachment 100224i am fan of Roy Orbison last year in the same time of the year christmas time i did bought the Monument singles collection form ebay you could see the monument record on tv and i am born in Canada but i been living in France Région Lyon for a longtime now.

4621.gif

Well Canadian or French, you are most welcome Dahlia. And your cocktail offering is much more beautiful and impressive than mine was. Thank you. :)

I told this story to a new Vietnamese Coffee shopper recently, but when we were in West Virginia we met a new friend who was Chinese by race but a citizen of Hong Kong that made him a British citizen at that time. And he came to America from Lyon, France where he had been attending the university there. Somewhere over the years we lost track of him--we left Kansas and I think he left Lyon. The last we heard from him though is that he was looking for a French woman to marry so he could stay there. :)

Thank you, it seem more difficult now to go live in France still if France is call land of welcome

And here in France a lot of peoples don't know Roy Orbison i did make French peoples listen to it...they like it a lot so Pretty woman French peoples did ear that song before from the movie

Last edited:
Christmas time in France faire-sapin.gif

This year i don't receive for christmas and i am invited at the same place on the 24 Décember honestly i prefer that way...receiving peoples for christmas it is nice but it is a lot of work.
I am going to the same place for the the two day so the family are receiving two days in the role.
Anyway it's been a long time that family get together for the 24 and 25...but doux Jésus we drink, we eat a lot here in France so on the 25 for 12.00 après-midi for me i don't really feel like doing it again i mean, eat, drink and don't sleep almost .
But it is only once a year...Good god.bisou.gif

Forum List

Back