USMB Coffee Shop IV

I know it's 2:00 in the morning. But when the muse whispers, you just gotta get something down on paper, or floating through cyberspace, as it were.

Awesome!!! Good read...well done!

I, too, am sometimes awakened by the muse...and you've perfectly described the compulsion to 'get something down on paper'. He never whispers to me though - why is it always on the darkest side of dawn?

The Scribe

I am not a poet.

Though every now and then a faceless one appears without invitation.
Demanding, controlling, selfishly screaming words insistent on dictation.

Impossible to ignore, whirling round and round.
I do not create the words, merely write them down.

I am a scribe.

SeaGal 11/14/16

I understand this completely. Sometimes I just have to write down the words that crowd my mind and these are replaced by new thoughts/words that must follow the previous ones, etc. It is difficult to think of myself as creative in those words because I don't consciously call them up. They are just there.

Did you write the poem that 'wasn't a poem' in your post? If so you get an A+. :)

Last edited:
I know it's 2:00 in the morning. But when the muse whispers, you just gotta get something down on paper, or floating through cyberspace, as it were.

I, too, am sometimes awakened by the muse...and you've perfectly described the compulsion to 'get something down on paper'. He never whispers to me though - why is it always on the darkest side of dawn?

The Scribe

I am not a poet.

I am a scribe.

SeaGal 11/14/16

I understand this completely. Sometimes I just have to write down the words that crowd my mind and these are replaced by new thoughts/words that must follow the previous ones, etc. It is difficult to think of myself as creative in those words because I don't consciously call them up. They are just there.

Did you write the poem that wasn't in your post? If so you get an A+. :)

The Scribe

I am not a poet.

I am a scribe.

SeaGal 11/14/16

That's exactly how I feel! Yes, The Scribe is an original poem. Thank you. I wrote it for USMB poets corner thread - a place that showcases the talent of real poets...not just scribes like me. :)

The Scribe

I am not a poet.

I am a scribe.

SeaGal 11/14/16

The Scribe

I am not a poet.

I am a scribe.

SeaGal 11/14/16

That's exactly how I feel! Yes, The Scribe is an original poem. Thank you. I wrote it for USMB poets corner thread - a place that showcases the talent of real poets...not just scribes like me. :)

Well coming from something of a quasi-wanna be-sometimes--maybe literary critic, that is the work of a real poet. :)

sunday_023.jpg

Well coming from something of a quasi-wanna be-sometimes--maybe literary critic, that is the work of a real poet. :)

Well to something of a quasi-wanna be-sometimes-maybe poet/scribe...that is High Praise! Thank you. :)

In post 50653 there is a single verse variation from a poem I wrote to a Savannah friend about the wonders seen and heard during an early morning trip to the salt marshes...he's a fisherman. I attributed that soul stirring beauty as proof of God's presence - he responded with - 'my soul is stirred by such, but the alien was a no-show.' Friends, we still are. :up:

disclaimer - not meant to be a discussion, just explanation of how a poem came to be.

Nosmo, that was a really cool peek into the Mason/Shriner world. Kudos to your muse!

I see you are not new to USMB Compost, but I don't find you on the Coffee Shop register, so welcome. Glad you found us. Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

Caramel-Hazelnut-Cafe-Mocha-RU243394.jpg
Thanks much, Foxfyre. Wait. Was I supposed to sign a register? You guys seem nice... I'll sign but only if I'm promised no sales calls.:D

Nosmo, that was a really cool peek into the Mason/Shriner world. Kudos to your muse!

I see you are not new to USMB Compost, but I don't find you on the Coffee Shop register, so welcome. Glad you found us. Your first timer's complimentary beverage:

Thanks much, Foxfyre. Wait. Was I supposed to sign a register? You guys seem nice... I'll sign but only if I'm promised no sales calls.:D
What? You don't want to see my signature collection of bridges and Arizona ocean front properties? :dunno:

I just watched the DVD of 'The mummy' with Tom Cruise. I was disappointed in it as I was hoping for more from a blockbuster. I should have known it would not be that great after seeing him in 'The war of the worlds' another remake that was not as good as the original.

I haven't seen this movie yet. But plan to do it nearest weeks :) The trailer was good, as I remember )

I am in deep depression... Darned old Cowboys beat my beloved Washington Redskins. I know there are some Dallas fans here in the coffee shop (Foxy for one) so you guys can snicker while I moan in my agony. I am certain that the sun will come out tomorrow but I doubt that it will shine so brightly.

I am in deep depression... Darned old Cowboys beat my beloved Washington Redskins. I know there are some Dallas fans here in the coffee shop (Foxy for one) so you guys can snicker while I moan in my agony. I am certain that the sun will come out tomorrow but I doubt that it will shine so brightly.
The Cowboys own the Deadskins, BBD. Sorry 'bout that.

Chin up, BBD. You could have been a Cleveland Browns fan.

LOL. No, you don't sign anything and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get any sales calls anyway. I just keep a running roster of all who have visited the Coffee Shop. Since the Coffee Shop opened seven and a half years ago, several hundred folks are on that roster. :)

I feel your pain BBD. I really do. But yes, Hombre and i and SFC Ollie are all Cowboys fans and I suspect Hossfly probably too. Win some lose some as it were.

Right now we're going into the 5th hour of the 5th game of the World Series. In 10th Inning knotted at 12 to 12--can you believe that? And its two games apiece so far. I have never seen a World Series like this one. I'm guessing there's a lot of folks in Houston who will be late for work in the morning.

Forum List

Back