USMB Coffee Shop IV

Iā€™ve a question to ask you ladies, I bought a painting in 1980 for my ex wife on holiday, itā€™s hung on the wall of my house even after we split up. My question is this; As I bought the painting for her should I give her half the money if I sell it?
No.
Meanwhile..love the painting!

Iā€™ve a question to ask you ladies, I bought a painting in 1980 for my ex wife on holiday, itā€™s hung on the wall of my house even after we split up. My question is this; As I bought the painting for her should I give her half the money if I sell it?
No.
Meanwhile..love the painting!
Thanks Gracie.

Itā€™s a Barry Hilton original, one of his earliest.
Barry Hilton

Very nice! Yours is Evening Moaring. I wonder what you will get for it?

I had to sell my personally owned Osterloh painting. Damn, I hated to have to do that but it was a necessity.

840418d5b23f1475444cb35c78fd289b--american-indians-american-art.jpg

home

I sold quite a few of them for him when I had my shop some years before on consignment. This one he did of his dad and James Cagney. His dad was in the movies back in the day.

reo_snvx_med.jpeg

Very nice! Yours is Evening Moaring. I wonder what you will get for it?

I had to sell my personally owned Osterloh painting. Damn, I hated to have to do that but it was a necessity.

840418d5b23f1475444cb35c78fd289b--american-indians-american-art.jpg

home

I sold quite a few of them for him when I had my shop some years before on consignment. This one he did of his dad and James Cagney. His dad was in the movies back in the day.

reo_snvx_med.jpeg
Interesting reading about him. Self taught, war vet. Pretty darn good artist.

Funny story about him. I first saw his work at a Native American shop in Morro Bay, Ca. They were selling a few of his pieces and I fell in love with them all. So..I set about trying to find him, being a fan and all..I wanted to tell him just how much his art spoke to me. So, here I am seeking Robert Osterloh and only getting his dad, not knowing it was his dad and thinking this guy lived in LA or some exotic far away place that great artists live...like France or England or some such. So I look and look and look, because he is very private or so I was told by the store owner. Then one day, he walked in with another painting. I was amazed and said I had been looking for him. He laughed, bummed a cig off me and we went outside to have a smoke and when I asked point blank where he lived, he said about 4 blocks from where I was at that time currently living. LOL.
After that smoke...I left the Native American shop I was working at, opened my own shop, and got him to bring me his art to sell for him :D.
I traded a fairly expensive persian rug for Red Wing..the painting I first posted above. But some years later..had to sell it. Dammit.

Funny story about him. I first saw his work at a Native American shop in Morro Bay, Ca. They were selling a few of his pieces and I fell in love with them all. So..I set about trying to find him, being a fan and all..I wanted to tell him just how much his art spoke to me. So, here I am seeking Robert Osterloh and only getting his dad, not knowing it was his dad and thinking this guy lived in LA or some exotic far away place that great artists live...like France or England or some such. So I look and look and look, because he is very private or so I was told by the store owner. Then one day, he walked in with another painting. I was amazed and said I had been looking for him. He laughed, bummed a cig off me and we went outside to have a smoke and when I asked point blank where he lived, he said about 4 blocks from where I was at that time currently living. LOL.
After that smoke...I left the Native American shop I was working at, opened my own shop, and got him to bring me his art to sell for him :D.
I traded a fairly expensive persian rug for Red Wing..the painting I first posted above. But some years later..had to sell it. Dammit.

Thanks for sharing that with us Gracie :)

Caravaggio the 16th century painter painted his own image in most of his paintings too.

I also started a website for him and bitched/nagged him to do prints. After I got sick, closed the shop and lost the house, I had no further contact with him. Lost the website address too. Had it on Angelfire. Only reason I found the one of the Mountain Man is because I just now googled Osterloh Angelfire and there it was.
Saw he has a brand new website too! Good for him!

Thanks for sharing that with us Gracie :)

Caravaggio the 16th century painter painted his own image in most of his paintings too.

It was the first holiday i could properly afford in 1980, we had our first son in 1978, I had passed my driving test in 1979 and my father in law let me use his prized Rover 2.5 saloon to Newquay in Cornwall.
Weā€™d hired a caravan for the week at a holiday park, it was cheap and cheerful, it gave the young wife a break.
At the end of the week I had a bit of spare money and we walked into a gallery/shop. The saleswoman explained ā€œthis is a special one, Barry Hilton doesnā€™t do many vertical paintingsā€ and so I bought it for my ex wife.
The cost I believe Ā£75 and they framed it too.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ava
I also started a website for him and bitched/nagged him to do prints. After I got sick, closed the shop and lost the house, I had no further contact with him. Lost the website address too. Had it on Angelfire. Only reason I found the one of the Mountain Man is because I just now googled Osterloh Angelfire and there it was.
Itā€™s a sad story Gracie, you sound like youā€™ve had a whale of a time when you were younger tho.

Just like you Iā€™ve been around and done stuff. With more time we can share stories on here?

Oh, I was a wild one, that's for sure. Was a biker chick for a short time..rode with some non affiliated tough guys, was an old lady to one of them but bailed when he wanted to add another chick to our little twosome. I don't do sloppy seconds, :D.

Then I was a galley cook on a tuna boat. Had to sneak onboard, hide my butt length hair under a baseball cap/hoody from the cap'n cuz he didn't allow females on his boat, and the crew called me Charlie. :cheers2: Got busted up in San Fran, hitchhiked home and called it a nice experience after I finally lost my sea legs.

Just a few short stories of my wild and crazy life.:abgg2q.jpg:

Oh, I was a wild one, that's for sure. Was a biker chick for a short time..rode with some non affiliated tough guys, was an old lady to one of them but bailed when he wanted to add another chick to our little twosome. I don't do sloppy seconds, :D.

Then I was a galley cook on a tuna boat. Had to sneak onboard, hide my butt length hair under a baseball cap/hoody from the cap'n cuz he didn't allow females on his boat, and the crew called me Charlie. :cheers2: Got busted up in San Fran, hitchhiked home and called it a nice experience after I finally lost my sea legs.

Just a few short stories of my wild and crazy life.:abgg2q.jpg:
I get the idea... Iā€™ve watched ā€œSons of Anarchyā€ :)

In 1982 we had our 2nd son, he was 3 months old when the company I worked for asked me if I wanted to work on the QE2. It had returned from the Falklands war and needed a refit.
I joined the ship with mostly Manchester guys from a different branch of the company, we were put to work refurbishing the AC in cabins.
We sailed with the ship, mostly rich yank passengers. As we were working passengers we were allowed to join the rich Americans on an evening even eating in the ā€œTables of the worldā€ restaurant.
Probably did around 10 Atlantic crossing to American cities then down to the Caribbean islands, then back to Southampton. Then the world tour began straight after. Saw the world free of course, I have....lots to tell.

Forum List

Back