USMB Coffee Shop IV

I knit, crochet and sew. I also design skating and athletic clothing for children, and I use beads and stones in making them. I don't have enough time to finish all the stuff I'm working on now, much less make beads or stained glass. I'm always happiest when people want to stone their own dresses. I've had to give up the fine lace crochet, because the arthritis is in my hands. The last time I crocheted Christmas doilies, my hands ached for days after I finished.

On Sunday, I took my friend out for a nice brunch. There was always lots of restaurants and stores and a very busy business district at Yonge & St. Clair. I lived down by the Lakeshore, so in the morning, when everyone was heading south on the subway, I was going north. Getting a seat wasn't a problem.

All of the stores, restaurants and shops along the east side of Yonge Street, are gone, being replaced by 70 storey office towers. I looked around at all of the two and three storey buildings along the street, and thought about all of the air rights changing hands. I won't recognize the place soon.
I'm sorry you have arthritis. My mother suffered with it all her life. When I was told I had two weeks to live at the e.r. if I didn't get Dr. so-and-so's surgery, and this doesn't happen often, but I smelled a rat, went home and looked up homeopathic dealings with gallbladder issues. I found source after source online that said simply "eat apples." One suggested eating several apples the first day, and two a day after that for 8 days. I haven't had a problem with pain in the back rib cage area since, because after that I buy one apple every time I shop for groceries and eat it before I get home. Guess what else good happened. My arthritis from crocheting also disappeared, and I've forgotten that I had it till you mentioned it. I don't know if you need all that many apples, but I eat three apples on one day of every week, and an apple on at least 4 more days, with a couple of days, no apples. I'm trying to maintain organs and issues as best I can, and those apples really have caused a lot of problems to be put on the back burner. I'm not sure the apple regimen is the cornerstone of me not having much arthritis pain in cold weather any more, but I'm crocheting at least 3 hours a day.

I have to to restock my cotton wash rags. I used to get them when the made and sold cotton dish wash rags down here in the states, and I'm going to try to crochet twelve more while I can. I limit to three hours the crocheting in one day, so it can take a month to make a fancy dish wash rag, or as little as 3 days if I exceed the three hours a day rule. Some of the colors are as fun as making a quilt, but I don't have my computer hooked up with a printer any more, but its' fun. I'm going to do one in brown for the sole purpose of cleaning up around my Mr. Coffee machine. In the meantime, I have 3 starts on dishrags, so if I get tired of one color, I can work on the white one or skip to the other color. Coffee stains won't show up as badly on tan and brown crochet rows, and I found a DMC twisted thread that combines a lot of shades of brown, to add to the fun when I get around to it.

I wonder if the couple of apples a day would kill off your arthritis? It's really not proven, but I'm really happy to be free of the pain of arthritis I was having. One of my sunday school kids when we lived in Oregon had childhood arthritis. She was the sweetest little 6th grade kid as ever, but her mother said they'd been combatting her pain since the cradle. I'll put you on my prayer list that you find something that eliminates your arthritis pain without poisoning you if its a prescription. My body doesn't do well with most pain and antibiotic shots, so you can believe that I practice distancing when out shopping for groceries or ahem cheap answer for baby doggie security at night. Which reminds, I found a huge professional-looking plastic storage box, and several quilted pillow shams and a used but sparkling clean baby bed protector to cut and resew to fit the plastic box which is a pretty shade of medium dark blue. Thanks to Good "Will, it was less than 20 dollars. Oh, my it's getting late. Prayers up for you and anyone here who has pain like what you experienced when you set aside your crochet hook. I'll also be praying for the pandemonium at the pump that seems to be worldwide that has caused food prices to go through the roof. I'm sorry you're losing favored shops that sold helpful things for do-it-yourself seamstresses, fiber artists, and can occasionally find a bargain like I did this afternoon for the nine fat little puppies. I quit giving mommie Song cream, but I treat her to a mix of milk and half and half once a day to ensure that her little guys get enough calcium to develop strong bones and teeth. They're characters! Night all! :huddle: Sweet dreams! :sleep:

Last edited:
I'm gonna faint. Except for Red's dark red show-stopping coat, that looks like him very much. It's odd how the puppies all have ears like a Jack Russell Terrier, but a full half of them have some of the markings like your border collie pic, without the longish hair.

They're all trim as their short-haired mother, Songie. The puppies are drama queens, both boy and girls. A lot of them are males, but there are at least 3 girl doggies. Their mother has made them plump, but plump seems to come before growth. Thanks for letting me know his breed. The woman who gave him to me didn't mention his breed, but he was the last one, and she was eager to get him a new home. He's the happy-go-luckiest dog I've ever been blessed with. Watching them nurse is like watching a bull riding contest at a rodeo. Poor Miss Song. They yank her "equipment" around a lot, and she falls asleep as if it didn't matter that they were brutish ruffians.
The classic border collie is black and white but they do come in the tan in the photo I posted before to a light yellow, darker browns, blues, grays, merles. The red ones are especially beautiful I think:

1667282422397.png

And their newborns look like this. Your pups, or maybe some of them, may actually not be entirely short hair:
1667282706954.png

Last edited:
I'm not sure the apple regimen is the cornerstone of me not having much arthritis pain in cold weather any more, but I'm crocheting at least 3 hours a day.

That’s interesting, about apples.

But are you talking about rheumatoid arthritis? Or osteo? Arthrose in German.

Unfortunately a destiny most of us won’t escape, loss of cartilage. However fit one might be. For example, my ballerina friend has it in her knees. And my sprightly orthopaedic doctor also has it in the knees.

That’s interesting, about apples.

But are you talking about rheumatoid arthritis? Or osteo? Arthrose in German.

Unfortunately a destiny most of us won’t escape, loss of cartilage. However fit one might be. For example, my ballerina friend has it in her knees. And my sprightly orthopaedic doctor also has it in the knees.
I'm not sure, Mindful, but had one knee had a cleanup surgery about 20 years ago by Senator John Barrasso, MD (or OD) in Casper, Wyoming, and a full knee replacement last year on the other side from arthritis and pain issues. My mother and younger sister both had rheumatoid arthritis, and both died with COPD worstened by nicotine addictions. I've never smoked because of getting pneumonia in a smoking home and later realizing I was allergic to burning vegetable matter, and my late husband and children never smoked either. I still have respiratory issues that date back to the Hong Kong flu days and have learned from Covid to shop at 6 am, when few people go shopping and when caught on a busy shopping day to distance when out in the public. The apples era started a few months back, and I also have not been troubled with so much as even one day of acid reflux disease that plagued me throughout my 30s and 40s. Some stuff you just don't miss, but it's like getting a ticket to Lake Freedom, which happens to be on the back 40 around here. :) It's only 2.5 acres, but it hosts an egret family every summer when they fly up from the Carribbean for reasons not clear to me, because every time I've visited Puerto Rico, the weather is idyllic. They've probably done this since time began for their featherhood. I have to say it, the great whiteegrets are the most elegant birds in the world, but the year the flamingos came looking for a new piece of real estate in a year their home was oil slicked to death down east coastal oil slick days, all five pink birds left after one encounter with the male egret did a little surgery of his own on only one or two of them. The offended birds flew back to their associates on the east side of Lake Freedom, chatted awhile, then flew off together and headed north to someplace else. I then realized how smart birds are, and how lethal their potential in great white egret territory. Their body mass is about three times the mass of just 1 great white according to my memory. Fortunately, I haven't seen any flamingos in the Piney Woods since the cleanup of the shores of the Gulf was completed. It was a joy to watch them from my dishwasher's station in the kitchen, but it's equally fun to watch the great white egrets raise their young ones and as the weather cools, they teach them how to fly south for a couple of weeks until they're strong enough to survive a migratory flight back to Roatan or wherever in the Carribbean they call home in Piney Woods winter season of chills and spills.

Last edited:
I just got back from N GA (Appalachian mountains under South Carolina) and got a couple pecks of apples. One was Topaz apples for making pies and baking....the other(assorted) was for just eating.

Topaz is a great variety, better than the granny Smith for baking...better flavor and balance between sugars and acids for making pies etc.
I was kinda shocked too....granny Smith has been the "go to" apple for pies and cooking for years...but the Topaz made them seem tasteless by comparison.

So....I got work to do now. I baked some up last night....awesome.

Today I'll settle in to get my sourdough starter reactivated and going....see if I can't get it active enough to make some bread.

Thanksgiving is coming up in three weeks. Gonna need the bread for stuffing.

I'm sorry you have arthritis. My mother suffered with it all her life. When I was told I had two weeks to live at the e.r. if I didn't get Dr. so-and-so's surgery, and this doesn't happen often, but I smelled a rat, went home and looked up homeopathic dealings with gallbladder issues. I found source after source online that said simply "eat apples." One suggested eating several apples the first day, and two a day after that for 8 days. I haven't had a problem with pain in the back rib cage area since, because after that I buy one apple every time I shop for groceries and eat it before I get home. Guess what else good happened. My arthritis from crocheting also disappeared, and I've forgotten that I had it till you mentioned it. I don't know if you need all that many apples, but I eat three apples on one day of every week, and an apple on at least 4 more days, with a couple of days, no apples. I'm trying to maintain organs and issues as best I can, and those apples really have caused a lot of problems to be put on the back burner. I'm not sure the apple regimen is the cornerstone of me not having much arthritis pain in cold weather any more, but I'm crocheting at least 3 hours a day.

I have to to restock my cotton wash rags. I used to get them when the made and sold cotton dish wash rags down here in the states, and I'm going to try to crochet twelve more while I can. I limit to three hours the crocheting in one day, so it can take a month to make a fancy dish wash rag, or as little as 3 days if I exceed the three hours a day rule. Some of the colors are as fun as making a quilt, but I don't have my computer hooked up with a printer any more, but its' fun. I'm going to do one in brown for the sole purpose of cleaning up around my Mr. Coffee machine. In the meantime, I have 3 starts on dishrags, so if I get tired of one color, I can work on the white one or skip to the other color. Coffee stains won't show up as badly on tan and brown crochet rows, and I found a DMC twisted thread that combines a lot of shades of brown, to add to the fun when I get around to it.

I wonder if the couple of apples a day would kill off your arthritis? It's really not proven, but I'm really happy to be free of the pain of arthritis I was having. One of my sunday school kids when we lived in Oregon had childhood arthritis. She was the sweetest little 6th grade kid as ever, but her mother said they'd been combatting her pain since the cradle. I'll put you on my prayer list that you find something that eliminates your arthritis pain without poisoning you if its a prescription. My body doesn't do well with most pain and antibiotic shots, so you can believe that I practice distancing when out shopping for groceries or ahem cheap answer for baby doggie security at night. Which reminds, I found a huge professional-looking plastic storage box, and several quilted pillow shams and a used but sparkling clean baby bed protector to cut and resew to fit the plastic box which is a pretty shade of medium dark blue. Thanks to Good "Will, it was less than 20 dollars. Oh, my it's getting late. Prayers up for you and anyone here who has pain like what you experienced when you set aside your crochet hook. I'll also be praying for the pandemonium at the pump that seems to be worldwide that has caused food prices to go through the roof. I'm sorry you're losing favored shops that sold helpful things for do-it-yourself seamstresses, fiber artists, and can occasionally find a bargain like I did this afternoon for the nine fat little puppies. I quit giving mommie Song cream, but I treat her to a mix of milk and half and half once a day to ensure that her little guys get enough calcium to develop strong bones and teeth. They're characters! Night all! :huddle: Sweet dreams! :sleep:

The arthritis sucks, but it could always be so much worse. I'm going to try the apples Beautress. As the saying goes, "what do I have to lose"? If it works, I'm way ahead, and if it doesn't work, I'm eating apples, which I love.

The arthritis has been acting up in my left knee since 2007, and I've kept it moving slowing for 15 years. I cried the first time I couldn't open a jar, because I had this vision, when I'm too old to do much but sit in front of the TV, I could still knit, and now maybe I won't. Mine is the osteo arthritis. I told the surgeon that now that I my knee is fixed, I need to get in line for my right hip.

With our system, you need to get in line at the first twinge, because of the shortage of bone surgeons. I was supposed to get my new knee in February of 2021, but covid set everything back. I told the surgeon we had it right. If we had been able to do the surgery when first planned, it would have been no problem for me but the last 15 months were difficult. By this year, I couldn't walk the four blocks downtown and back, without being in pain for two days. I walked more than 2 miles in Toronto on Sunday, without a problem.

I'm very blessed to have such good health at my age. The arthritis is mild and not really painful, and if it bothers me, I take a couple of tokes and carry on. Yes, I'm slowing down compared to when I was younger, and I need to help to do some things that used to be easy for me. But I've been eating clean since the 1980's and I've always been active.

I played squash until well into my 60's. I'm still riding my bike, summer and winter - as long as the roads are clear and dry. Winters aren't like they were when I was a kid, so I can usually ride for most of the winter.

Justin Trudeau just announced he's doubling the GST tax credit for the next 6 months because of inflation. Not a huge amount but an extra $200 is always welcome. A couple of months ago, he raised the Old Age Security payments by 10% for those over 75. All Canadians over 65 get it. We refer to our 65th birthday as our "cash for life" birthday.

I have been trying to make sure Hombre and I get at least an apple a day too and I do believe it helps in numerous ways. Truly a super food.

Worked out for Johnny Appleseed didn't it?
Well legend says he planted the trees. Not sure if he ate them though. :)

But welcome to the Coffee Shop JohnDB. Please read over the OP to see what we're about in the Coffee Shop and then keep right on joining in. We're happy you found us.

First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

1667367752676.png

I just got back from N GA (Appalachian mountains under South Carolina) and got a couple pecks of apples. One was Topaz apples for making pies and baking....the other(assorted) was for just eating.

Topaz is a great variety, better than the granny Smith for baking...better flavor and balance between sugars and acids for making pies etc.
I was kinda shocked too....granny Smith has been the "go to" apple for pies and cooking for years...but the Topaz made them seem tasteless by comparison.

Today I'll settle in to get my sourdough starter reactivated and going....see if I can't get it active enough to make some bread.

Topaz apples must be local to the Applachian world. If I've ever seen them, I must have passed them by. I'll have to look harder for them next time I go shopping. I've been tolerating Granny Apples because I read that they had less sugar but equivalent health benefits to other types of apples. I never paid much attention to the type of apples I pealed for making apple pies in the past. I did add cardamom to them in the past 20 years because it enhances cinnamon and adds panach to apple pie, overall. If I ever find topaz apples, I'll see if I can tell the difference between cinnamon only and cinnamon/cardamom topaz apple pies.

And by the way, Welcome to the USMB Coffee Shop. Best thread in the world. :thup:

Last edited:
The arthritis sucks, but it could always be so much worse. I'm going to try the apples Beautress. As the saying goes, "what do I have to lose"? If it works, I'm way ahead, and if it doesn't work, I'm eating apples, which I love.

The arthritis has been acting up in my left knee since 2007, and I've kept it moving slowing for 15 years. I cried the first time I couldn't open a jar, because I had this vision, when I'm too old to do much but sit in front of the TV, I could still knit, and now maybe I won't. Mine is the osteo arthritis. I told the surgeon that now that I my knee is fixed, I need to get in line for my right hip.

With our system, you need to get in line at the first twinge, because of the shortage of bone surgeons. I was supposed to get my new knee in February of 2021, but covid set everything back. I told the surgeon we had it right. If we had been able to do the surgery when first planned, it would have been no problem for me but the last 15 months were difficult. By this year, I couldn't walk the four blocks downtown and back, without being in pain for two days. I walked more than 2 miles in Toronto on Sunday, without a problem.

I'm very blessed to have such good health at my age. The arthritis is mild and not really painful, and if it bothers me, I take a couple of tokes and carry on. Yes, I'm slowing down compared to when I was younger, and I need to help to do some things that used to be easy for me. But I've been eating clean since the 1980's and I've always been active.

I played squash until well into my 60's. I'm still riding my bike, summer and winter - as long as the roads are clear and dry. Winters aren't like they were when I was a kid, so I can usually ride for most of the winter.

Justin Trudeau just announced he's doubling the GST tax credit for the next 6 months because of inflation. Not a huge amount but an extra $200 is always welcome. A couple of months ago, he raised the Old Age Security payments by 10% for those over 75. All Canadians over 65 get it. We refer to our 65th birthday as our "cash for life" birthday.
I sure wish you well on less debilitating pains that come with those our age, and all our other Coffeeshop pals. I tried to drink green tea for a few weeks, but it doesn't wake me up like coffee does. I really need to get back to drinking green tea for the rest of the day after coffee. I quit too much caffeine in my 30s when drinking too much coffee was bringing on fibrocystic breast issues. At that time they thought that kind of problem was a precursor to breast cancer, and I didn't want that in my life. After several weeks of doing without coffee, I realized that one cup a day was a blessing that two pots of coffee per diem wasn't. Since then, I've learned that a cup of coffee a day adds special health benefits due to its high count of antioxidants that extend your life. It makes the saying about moderation in all things is a good idea to be true. I love my one mug of coffee a day and haven't had a trace of fibrocystic problems since, while getting my wakeup fix from coffee in. :thup:

My prayers are still up for your healing, Dragonlady. If your pain still returns, remember that 10 minutes of doing what you used to do is excellent therapy for septuagenarians and up. :)

Topaz apples must be local to the Applachian world. If I've ever seen them, I must have passed them by. I'll have to look harder for them next time I go shopping. I've been tolerating Granny Apples because I read that they had less sugar but equivalent health benefits to other types of apples. I never paid much attention to the type of apples I pealed for making apple pies in the past. I did add cardamom to them in the past 20 years because it enhances cinnamon and adds panach to apple pie, overall. If I ever find topaz apples, I'll see if I can tell the difference between cinnamon only and cinnamon/cardamom topaz apple pies.
I spent my teenage years in Idaho...Simms Fruit ranch was a yearly thing we visited. We got apples straight from the orchard...cider as it came out of the press. Nothing like it!

Now I live in TN and made a day trip to N Georgia to Mercier orchard in Blue Ridge.

Of course they got the whole tourist trap thing going on. But it's still fun. As a recovering chef I still like locally sourced fresh ingredients and knowing that I'm getting the best that I can for my concoctions. They gave out samples of the various apples...that's how I discovered what I needed to. They also sell flights of hard cider and wines made from fruits. (Picked up a couple of bottles)

Get the cider sold in the plastic jugs...it's done in house. It's not going to taste like apple juice from the store. Much much better. They have to pasteurize it anymore....but it's still better. Fried fruit pies and apple juice donuts from the bakery.. .fudge in their candy shop make Bucky's seem like a joke.

All in all that trip to the orchards was awesome.

But now I am in a quandry....should I feed my sourdough starter again and make bread tonight? Or should I just feed it again and wait till morning?
Sourdough apple fritters....
The dough needs a day (minimum) of rest to increase extensibility and chewyness. Then 8 hours to rise for maximum flavor....

I make just under 10 lbs of bread at a batch....then freeze it. I got Thanksgiving coming...need it for the stuffing. Because friends don't let friends eat takeout for Thanksgiving.

This post is for Hossfly. I previously posted a picture from Luba's showing all of her flavoured coffees. I bought a pound of Los Hermosas coffee - my favourite. She has all kinds of coffee beans including some that cost $50 per lb. or more. I've tried a cup of some of these fancy coffees but my favourite is Los Hermosas whiich is one of her regular priced coffees.

Since Saturday morning, I've been enjoying this delicious coffee. Rich and delicious, without a hint of bitterness. I drink my coffee black, with just a level teaspoon of raw sugar, because I'm not quite sweet enough already. I have enough to last me another week, and I'm sure I'll go through withdrawal when it's gone and I go back to my Maxwell House, but this is Heaven! in a cup for now.

Luba would ship me my coffee. All it takes is money. Until I win the lottery, I will continue to enjoy an occasional treat when I get to the city.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen Topaz apples out west here. We buy Honey Crisp when they are on sale, and maybe a few others (Jazz, Envy, et al) when they're on sale, but our go to apples for every day are Fuji, Granny Smith, and Gala as those are the ones that are almost always the cheapest. But I work hard to include apples in our diet every day at least once if not more often.

Beautress-apples.

I’m always interested in trying something new, so it might be a good idea to eat an apple every evening for dessert, instead of loads of plums?
One way we often enjoy apples is to stew them. Quick and easy. My recipe (modify amts for the number you have to feed):

Stewed Apples

Indulge in sweet and savory flavor with Stewed Apples. They're the perfect fall treat made with just 5 ingredients and ready in 15 minutes!

Ingredients
4 apples - use firmer pie apples
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar (I often use Stevia blend sweetener instead of brown sugar)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions
Chop: Cut apples evenly into bite-sized pieces, leaving or removing the peel (your preference!).

Stew: Place apples and all remaining ingredients in a large pot. Set over medium heat and cover. Cook, stirring often, until apples are fork tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Serve: Serve warm or cold by themselves, on ice cream, yogurt, or oats!

Notes

Store stewed apples in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days.

Interesting. I don't think I've seen Topaz apples out west here. We buy Honey Crisp when they are on sale, and maybe a few others (Jazz, Envy, et al) when they're on sale, but our go to apples for every day are Fuji, Granny Smith, and Gala as those are the ones that are almost always the cheapest. But I work hard to include apples in our diet every day at least once if not more often.
There are thousands of varieties of apples these days. Some are heirloom and others made by selective crossbreeding of varieties.
I'm not exactly sure if Topaz is an heirloom or a "new" type created by crossbreeding apples.
Granny Smith is an older crossbreed. Created just for cooking and etc. I forget the lady who they are named after.

Apples have blossoms and seeds...just a matter of time and intent.

One way we often enjoy apples is to stew them. Quick and easy. My recipe (modify amts for the number you have to feed):

Stewed Apples

Indulge in sweet and savory flavor with Stewed Apples. They're the perfect fall treat made with just 5 ingredients and ready in 15 minutes!

Ingredients
4 apples - use firmer pie apples
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp brown sugar (I often use Stevia blend sweetener instead of brown sugar)
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp ground cinnamon

Instructions
Chop: Cut apples evenly into bite-sized pieces, leaving or removing the peel (your preference!).

Stew: Place apples and all remaining ingredients in a large pot. Set over medium heat and cover. Cook, stirring often, until apples are fork tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.

Serve: Serve warm or cold by themselves, on ice cream, yogurt, or oats!

Notes

Store stewed apples in an airtight container in the fridge for about 5 days.

I stewed one earlier. Very nice.

Forum List

Back