UVA student jailed for possession of bottled water, ice cream

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
A University of Virginia student spent a night and good part of the next day in jail after seven plain-clothes agents from the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control division ambushed her.

The student, 20-year-old Elizabeth Daly, made the mistake of walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream in a dark supermarket parking lot near the UVA campus, reports The Daily Progress.

Daly, along with two roommates who were in the car, did what reasonable, unarmed people usually do when violently pounced upon by seven people. They tried to get away.

The seven Alcoholic Beverage Control agents were not satisfied. They charged Daly with three felonies: one count of eluding police and two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer. In Virginia, each of these Class Six felonies carries up to five years in prison and up to $2,500 in fines.

Another case of cops gone nuts. They should all get fired.

A University of Virginia student spent a night and good part of the next day in jail after seven plain-clothes agents from the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control division ambushed her.

The student, 20-year-old Elizabeth Daly, made the mistake of walking to her car with bottled water, cookie dough and ice cream in a dark supermarket parking lot near the UVA campus, reports The Daily Progress.

Daly, along with two roommates who were in the car, did what reasonable, unarmed people usually do when violently pounced upon by seven people. They tried to get away.

The seven Alcoholic Beverage Control agents were not satisfied. They charged Daly with three felonies: one count of eluding police and two counts of assaulting a law enforcement officer. In Virginia, each of these Class Six felonies carries up to five years in prison and up to $2,500 in fines.

Another case of cops gone nuts. They should all get fired.

If they were only that vigilant at the Mexican border.

All charges were dropped.... non-issue other than her starting her car when approach by police, hitting two officers with her car, and running from law enforcement officers.

Last edited:
Did the officers clearly identify themselves is the only relevant question here that needs to be answered.

Did the officers clearly identify themselves is the only relevant question here that needs to be answered.

Good point. They wore plain clothes so their intent was to hide their identity.

Now, could the police adequately identify themselves to people who were afraid and trying to escape attack? I think not.

Daly states she saw their badges. Also, she "was on edge after spending the night listening to stories from dozens of sexual assault survivors at an annual "Take Back the Night" vigil on Grounds said Daly's defense attorney, Francis Lawrence."

Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student - The Daily Progress: News

All parties here need to regroup and develop more effective strategies. Perhaps pepper spray for one can of beer and 30 days on the rock pile for a 12 pack...:doubt:

Daly states she saw their badges. Also, she "was on edge after spending the night listening to stories from dozens of sexual assault survivors at an annual "Take Back the Night" vigil on Grounds said Daly's defense attorney, Francis Lawrence."

Bottled-water purchase leads to night in jail for UVa student - The Daily Progress: News

All parties here need to regroup and develop more effective strategies. Perhaps pepper spray for one can of beer and 30 days on the rock pile for a 12 pack...:doubt:

I think this girl deserves a big apology and have all charges dropped.

All charges were dropped.... non-issue other than her starting her car when approach by police, hitting two officers with her car, and running from law enforcement officers.

Spending the night in jail is not a non issue. As for her trying to get away, let us imagine you had a daughter and some assholes tried to jump her in a parking lot. Would you expect her to a) let them kidnap and rape her, or b) get the fuck out of there using whatever force is necessary to protect herself?

I agree and a few bucks from a settlement to buy more beer. These LEOs have some nerve.

Spending the night in jail is not a non issue. As for her trying to get away, let us imagine you had a daughter and some assholes tried to jump her in a parking lot. Would you expect her to a) let them kidnap and rape her, or b) get the fuck out of there using whatever force is necessary to protect herself?

c) Aim at center mass and fire until the threat is neutralized. Repeat until all threats are neutralized or only one round is left...the last one is for her.

I agree and a few bucks from a settlement to buy more beer. These LEOs have some nerve.

I would say that $100,000,000 in punitive damages is about right, plus all officers involved should get a year in prison.

A year in maximum security's general population, with "BAD COP" tattooed on their faces.

Now, could the police adequately identify themselves to people who were afraid and trying to escape attack? I think not.

If they held up the IDs high in the air and shouted "police", yes.

I think what disturbs me the most about this incident is that even if the ABC agents were correct and she had illegally purchased a beer, they felt escalating their assault on her to the level they did was appropriate, all over a bottle of beer. They're teenage girls, not fucking terrorists. This is why more and more people are losing respect for law enforcement. They don't seem to know their boundaries anymore and think that pointing guns in people's faces over minor offensives is acceptable in the name of law enforcement.

Then of course there is the separate discussion of why we need to have a legal minimum drinking age of 21 or a legal minimum any age in the first place. When you're 18 you're an adult and legally responsible for making your own decisions. For those under 18, let their parents parent. How much billions of dollars a year are wasted on underage alcohol enforcement? Is it really worth it? Get rid of these stupid laws already, stop turning otherwise innocent people into criminals, and let these thugs at the ABC get a real job like the rest of us.

Last edited:
The purpose of Law Enforcement these days is to intimidate non-criminals into passively accepting whatever the government does. We have so many laws and regulations on the books, that everyone breaks many without even knowing that they exist. It's so much easier to control the plebes when the heavy hand of law enforcement can be used against them.

If they held up the IDs high in the air and shouted "police", yes.

The bottom line is that she did nothing wrong.

The police screwed up,

now she is in trouble.

I see no legitimate reason to charge her for anything.

Forum List

Back