Va Governor orders special session

Does it matter? Seems to me that universal background checks, extreme risk protective orders, and child access prevention are common sense and may actually save some lives without overly restricting gun rights.

2nd amendment says otherwise.

There are other rights in the Constitution, can they be restricted? Can you yell fire in a movie theater? Every right comes with restrictions.
Name the restrictions in the 2nd Amendment. I pretty sure its very specific on the subject.
What are the restrictions on free speech?

hate speech laws - Bing
slander laws

in Gun Control.

'The nation is watching': Virginia governor orders special session on gun control after Virginia Beach shootings

"Northam said he would seek universal background checks, bans on assault weapons and suppressors, extreme risk protective orders, child access prevention and other restrictions."

Can ANYONE inform me how those restrictions would have prevented the recent shooting?
Does it matter? Seems to me that universal background checks, extreme risk protective orders, and child access prevention are common sense and may actually save some lives without overly restricting gun rights.

Nope...they don't.....criminals don't undergo background checks, mass shooters like this guy pass the background checks......and he wasn't a criminal and didn't have any orders of protection against him...

Nothing you posted for new laws does anything except increase the cost, paperwork and legal peril for law abiding gun owners....

You are an idiot.
That may be but universal background checks would prevent guns from being diverted and made available to criminals:

While criminals typically do not buy their guns at a store, all but a tiny fraction of those in circulation in the United States are first sold at retail by a gun dealer – including the guns that eventually end up in the hands of criminals.

That first retail sale was most likely legal, in that the clerk followed federal and state requirements for documentation, a background check and record-keeping. While there are scofflaw dealers who sometimes make under-the-counter deals, that is by no means the norm. If a gun ends up in criminal use, it is usually after several more transactions.
Seems like a reasonable solution to keeping guns from criminals.

No, universal background checks would not do it, the same way Current background checks don't stop criminals from getting guns.

It is not reasonable, and you can't show how it would be any more effective than current, federally mandated background checks.

Criminals use straw buyers, friends and family to buy their guns or they steal them. The straw buyer can pass the current federally mandated background check which means they can pass any universal check for a private sale....do you understand that?

Criminals are not caught through the background check system...they are caught when a snitch tells the police about someone selling illegal guns, they police, using police techniques, set up a sting, set up a buy for the illegal guns and then arrest them......or they catch the criminal in a criminal act in possession of the illegal gun....no background check needed...

and NONE of them would have prevented the recent shooting.

He's sprinkling sugar on dog poop, to make it more palatable.
So there are only 2 choices, either get rid of all firearms or let everyone have whatever they can get? I like to think there is middle ground somewhere.
Shootings like this are the result of so called “middle ground” approaches...

No, universal background checks would not do it, the same way Current background checks don't stop criminals from getting guns.

It is not reasonable, and you can't show how it would be any more effective than current, federally mandated background checks.

Criminals use straw buyers, friends and family to buy their guns or they steal them. The straw buyer can pass the current federally mandated background check which means they can pass any universal check for a private sale....do you understand that?

Criminals are not caught through the background check system...they are caught when a snitch tells the police about someone selling illegal guns, they police, using police techniques, set up a sting, set up a buy for the illegal guns and then arrest them......or they catch the criminal in a criminal act in possession of the illegal gun....no background check needed...
Current background checks do stop criminals from getting guns. Few criminals buy their guns at gun stores. If every gun sale was tracked, fewer guns would be diverted and available to criminals. Also, straw buyers would become obvious. Legitimate gun owners should not be adversely affected until they want to sell a gun.

So there are only 2 choices, either get rid of all firearms or let everyone have whatever they can get? I like to think there is middle ground somewhere.
So what is the solution? No gun controls? I have a hard time imagining how that would lower the death toll.

Knee jerk reaction. Just like New Zealand did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.

The gun is the tool. The person using it is the weapon.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people.

Until you can regulate and control people who use guns to do harm there will always be shootings.

I agree.

Until you can regulate and control people who use guns to do harm there will always be shootings.
How many lives have seat belts saved?

Seat belts have saved a lot of lives but guns aren't seat belts. Until you can regulate and control people who would do harm with a gun then you will always have deaths.

You don't need a gun store to get a gun. There is a huge black market out there for guns. You have the money. You have the gun.

I agree.

compare-apples-to-oranges.gif

So what is the solution? No gun controls? I have a hard time imagining how that would lower the death toll.
One aspect of a viable solution, is restoring personal responsibility, and agency. Taking an active role, and control of ones own personal safety, and well being; instead of thinking you can sub that role out to nanny government to handle, whilst you go on your merry way. As we saw in Florida, and the courts, the government, nor its agents are responsible for saving your life. Thus it’s the responsibility of the citizenry to demand the peeling back of restrictive gun laws, and restoring power, and responsibility to the people.
As our founder wisely knew; those who are willing to trade liberty, for security; will surely lose both. And that is exactly what we see happening.

I agree.

Seat belts have saved a lot of lives but guns aren't seat belts. Until you can regulate and control people who would do harm with a gun then you will always have deaths.

You don't need a gun store to get a gun. There is a huge black market out there for guns. You have the money. You have the gun.
People still die in cars every day, doesn't mean it is useless to save some lives just because you can't save every life.

I agree.

compare-apples-to-oranges.gif
The car is the tool. The person using it is the weapon.

Cars don't kill people. People kill people.

One aspect of a viable solution, is restoring personal responsibility, and agency. Taking an active role, and control of ones own personal safety, and well being; instead of thinking you can sub that role out to nanny government to handle, whilst you go on your merry way. As we saw in Florida, and the courts, the government, nor its agents are responsible for saving your life. Thus it’s the responsibility of the citizenry to demand the peeling back of restrictive gun laws, and restoring power, and responsibility to the people.
As our founder wisely knew; those who are willing to trade liberty, for security; will surely lose both. And that is exactly what we see happening.
Personal responsibility is fine. Until it isn't. Every law is a reaction to an existing problem.

Current background checks do stop criminals from getting guns. Few criminals buy their guns at gun stores. If every gun sale was tracked, fewer guns would be diverted and available to criminals. Also, straw buyers would become obvious. Legitimate gun owners should not be adversely affected until they want to sell a gun.

You are right, criminals do not buy their guns at gun stores....their mothers, grandmothers, sisters, girlfriends, and people they pay, buy the guns at gun stores for them...they are called straw buyers...making background checks useless.......those same straw buyers would pass a universal background check for a private sale.

Also.....criminals steal guns.....Dennis Prager, a radio host, spent a day with the L.A. Police....he spoke to a detective who stated the gangs have relatives who work at all levels of state government....they also have dedicated robbery crews who do nothing but break into homes to steal guns.......

So universal background checks do absolutely nothing you claim they would do....

The only reason anti-gunners want universal background checks is so that, when criminals keep getting guns, and mass shootings still happen.....they can come back and demand universal gun registration.....which is why they need the first step of universal background checks.....

You don't understand the issue, you don't understand the agenda behind universal background checks.

The solution is to lock up gun offenders for 15-30 years.......right now democrat party judges and prosecutors are releasing violent, known, repeat gun offenders over and over again and they are the ones shooting people.....Japan stopped the Yakuza from using guns in all but the worst gang violence by putting 10 year minimum sentences for mere possession of an illegal gun...

Guess how long a violent felon, caught with an illegal gun is held in Chicago....? In over 70% of the cases they are released on their own recognizance...so when democrat party judges are doing that...it doesn't matter what law you pass......

This is the problem........solve this, and you stop 99% of gun crime....

See....solving the problem of actual criminals means you don't get to take guns away from law abiding people...that is why anti-gunners have no interest in keeping violent gun criminals in jail....

Officials Address 'Vicious Cycle' Of I-Bond Violations After Violent Weekend

Many of the gun offenders arrested by Chicago police over the weekend walked out of jail on bond, without having to pay a dime.

As of Monday morning, 19 people had been arrested on gun-related charges. By Monday afternoon, 11 were back on the street, some with prior gun offenses.

“We know who a lot of these people are,” Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson said. “And how do we know that? Because we keep arresting them over and over and over and over and over again. And it’s just a vicious cycle.”

In a tweet Sunday night, a Chicago police spokesperson criticized the practice of letting gun offenders out on Individual Recognizance Bonds or “I-Bonds.”
-----

The tweet said, in part, “Letting gun offenders out on I-Bonds shows there is absolutely no repercussion for carrying illegal guns In Chicago.”
-----
In a statement, an office representative said since the beginning of this year, 72% of gun related cases received monetary bail or no bond.
==================
http://www.cwbchicago.com/2019/05/man-connected-to-whitney-young-high.html

The man who is charged with driving the carjacked SUV of a Whitney Young High School teacher this week is on probation for possessing a handgun—a probation term that was cut in half just three weeks ago by a Cook County judge.

The CPD arrest report that documents the capture of Nicholas Williams on Tuesday says cops and federal agents found Williams “in possession” of a loaded 9-millimeter handgun with a defaced serial number. But, a source with knowledge of the case told CWBChicago tonight that the gun was “ditched” and weapons charges could not be approved.

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office did not immediately respond to an after-hours email seeking comment.

Court records show that in Aug. 2017 Williams was charged with felony unlawful use of a weapon for allegedly carrying a handgun in the front of his waistband during a traffic stop on the West Side. Police said in a report that the gun had been reported stolen one month earlier.

A grand jury returned a 12 felony count true bill against Williams. But the Cook County State’s Attorney dropped all charges on May 3, 2018.

Five months after that case was dropped, Williams was charged with a new set of eight weapons felonies for allegedly carrying a handgun in the front of his waistband while riding his bike on the West Side.

----

The solution, again, is locking up gun criminals...actual criminals who commit crimes with guns...I know you don't realize that this is the real issue......because the press doesn't cover how just about every shooter in these democrat controlled cities should have been in prison on other felony convictions at the time of the last shooting where they actually killed someone....

You don't understand that, so you don't know what the problem actually is.....

The solution, again, is locking up gun criminals...actual criminals who commit crimes with guns...I know you don't realize that this is the real issue......because the press doesn't cover how just about every shooter in these democrat controlled cities should have been in prison on other felony convictions at the time of the last shooting where they actually killed someone....

I think you're right, locking up gun criminals would help. Unfortunately, as I understand it, that won't address the majority of gun deaths.

I think you're right, locking up gun criminals would help. Unfortunately, as I understand it, that won't address the majority of gun deaths.

The majority of gun deaths are suicides. That is a mental health issue, not a gun issue.

Forum List

Back