Vehicle emissions testing and "The no contact" option.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
I called the MVD to complain about requiring in person emissions testing at the same time we are closing restaurants and bars. I found out they had a not well advertised "no contact" option for testing so I went for that. It worked fine, I showed my receipt on my phone through the window and the girl held up instructions to the window. It didn't take any longer than the usual tests. If they offer 'no contact' testing in your state, I recommend doing it.

I called the MVD to complain about requiring in person emissions testing at the same time we are closing restaurants and bars. I found out they had a not well advertised "no contact" option for testing so I went for that. It worked fine, I showed my receipt on my phone through the window and the girl held up instructions to the window. It didn't take any longer than the usual tests. If they offer 'no contact' testing in your state, I recommend doing it.

Emissions inspection in PA is done at private garages. Actually, it works out smooth as shit, even though the guy I go to doesn't have any "no contact" process and doesn't even care to take a credit card, preferring cash payments.

..stupid politicians ---if you have less than 140,000 or something miles--you don't need a safety inspection, you need an emissions inspections...very stupid

Emissions inspection in PA is done at private garages. Actually, it works out smooth as shit, even though the guy I go to doesn't have any "no contact" process and doesn't even care to take a credit card, preferring cash payments.
There are even a few, "Lick and stick" garages out there too.

I sit in a glass booth while they connect a device to the car computer. The whole process takes two mins. and there isn’t any contact to be concerned about.
Thats the way it’s been for years.

What receipt did you show?
The purchase of the 'no contact' option. They charge $12 bucks for it, but I was happy to pay to not have an attendant climb into my vehicle and breathe all over it.
Wait.... you paid an extra $12 for a no contact option??
Sure. I'd pay twice that to keep someone who has climbed in and out of 50 cars out of my vehicle.
Did they test via the tailpipe?

The purchase of the 'no contact' option. They charge $12 bucks for it, but I was happy to pay to not have an attendant climb into my vehicle and breathe all over it.
Sure. I'd pay twice that to keep someone who has climbed in and out of 50 cars out of my vehicle.
Yeah they have a wand they stick in. Then they check the gas cap for something and that's it.

Yeah they have a wand they stick in. Then they check the gas cap for something and that's it.
You let them charge you an extra $12 to test that way?

The inspector got in my truck and drove it, like he has for several years (to check the brakes), and I paid the regular fee- he wasn't wearing a mask and neither was I. I'm still here and he's still open. In Montgomery County the tail pipe test isn't required on my truck- a 1998 Silverado.

You let them charge you an extra $12 to test that way?
Yes. You can't register your car in Az with an emissions test so the options are let your registration expire, get tested with the attendant entering your vehicle, or pay the 12 bucks and keep the doors and windows closed. Everyone can make the choice that makes sense for them.

Forum List

Back