Virginia gun control law kept AR-15 out of hands of DC shooter

Every person on this board who has ever claimed that 'shall not be infringed' means that such a denial of purchase violated the 2nd amendment

did in fact want this person to have gotten that AR15.

It is, btw, a reasonable speculation that the death toll could have easily been double or triple what was had he gone in with that rifle.
...and it could easily have been less had someone had the means to stop him.

Wrong. States should be able to restrict sales within the state to be made to their own residents only. (That might help the situation in Chicago where the thugs buy in nearby states...but I doubt it. Most of them are likely criminals already and have to get their guns on the black market.)

It's okay by me to do away with mail order guns and sales to non-residents of any one state. Local gun shops should not be restricted in any other way. And I wouldn't mind a requirement for background checks for sales at gun shows....just not for private sales or gifts to individuals legal gun owners.

I see a small problem with restricting gun sales only to residents, if a person wants to buy a customized weapon there needs to be a provision for him to do so, perhaps he can have it shipped to a dealer in his state as a compromise.

There will always be Boston bombers, Tim McVeighs, Unabombers, and people like the DC shooter who are going to fall between the cracks and who will use whatever weapons they can invent, assemble, or procure to do their violence. The 9/11 terrorists had only box cutters and airplanes. There have been far more horrendous mass murders committed by people using ordinary substances or firearms than there have been mass murders committed with assault rifles. Do the dead really care what sort of weapon was used to kill them?

This guy buys a perfectly legal shotgun, breaks it down to carry in inside a small bag, assembles it in a bathroom, and kills and murders many. What sort of gun laws would be acceptable to you anti-gun folks to have made that impossible for him to do? Do you think it is possible to pass enough laws to make it impossible for him to have purchased any kind of materials that could be put together into a weapon?

He took out some armed security in his pre-planned massacre. But it is a fact that if more people had been armed that day, he would have been taken out before he could do so much damage.

And the one fact I think we're all going to have to take a hard look at, is that essentially ALL the domestically produced mass murderers over the last decade or two have been avid addicts to super violent video games. I don't think we can ignore that any longer.

No, you don't. You thought an AR-15 is .22 caliber :lol:

The bullet is .22 caliber...that's a fact.

Yup, it's .223 caliber --one one thousandth of an inch bigger than a .22.

You'd have to have a micrometer to tell the difference.

uhm dude, there is no comparison between a .22 and a .223 but this is so typical of the uneducated left trying to make an argument.

3-190913160502.jpeg

hit a 16 guage pipe with a .22 you get a little dent. hit it with a .223 you get a hole through it.

Tyrannical Virginia Gun Law Kept DC Shooter From Buying AR-15

"Aaron Alexis, who was unable to purchase the AR-15 he wanted last week because Virginia law “prohibits the sale of such weapons to out-of-state buyers.” Instead, he bought “a law-enforcement-style shotgun — an 870 Remington pump-action” — which he used in his deadly rampage Monday.
Read more at Tyrannical Virginia Gun Law Kept DC Shooter From Buying AR-15 "

"It’s probably worth noting that Alexis had to pump the shotgun each time he fired, and that the Remington has a standard seven-round magazine. An AR-15, on the other hand, fires a round with each pull of the trigger, with a rate of fire much faster than a shotgun’s, and typical magazines hold 20 to 30 rounds, although higher-capacity magazines — 60 to 100 rounds — are also popular. In the Newtown massacre, Adam Lanza managed to fire 155 rounds in under five minutes.

But, of course, NRA teaches us that laws like this don't work, and that free access to guns saves lives....

awesome, but aren't like 12 people still dead?

oh and did you know Adam Lanza didn't use an AR-15

never heard of extension tubes for shotgun rounds?

Tyrannical Virginia Gun Law Kept DC Shooter From Buying AR-15

"Aaron Alexis, who was unable to purchase the AR-15 he wanted last week because Virginia law “prohibits the sale of such weapons to out-of-state buyers.” Instead, he bought “a law-enforcement-style shotgun — an 870 Remington pump-action” — which he used in his deadly rampage Monday.

"It’s probably worth noting that Alexis had to pump the shotgun each time he fired, and that the Remington has a standard seven-round magazine. An AR-15, on the other hand, fires a round with each pull of the trigger, with a rate of fire much faster than a shotgun’s, and typical magazines hold 20 to 30 rounds, although higher-capacity magazines — 60 to 100 rounds — are also popular. In the Newtown massacre, Adam Lanza managed to fire 155 rounds in under five minutes.

But, of course, NRA teaches us that laws like this don't work, and that free access to guns saves lives....

awesome, but aren't like 12 people still dead?

oh and did you know Adam Lanza didn't use an AR-15

never heard of extension tubes for shotgun rounds?

Yeah and unfortunately for people who need self defense, the libs like like to ban those tubes and force us to put plugs in our guns to limit the number of shells in the guns. Course the "law breakers" ignore those laws, thus only having the effect of crippling lawful use.

I bow to your superior knowledge of shotguns. I own 5 guns, and none of them are shotguns.

But it still has nothing to do with the issue. The shooter was denied the right to purchase a much more lethal weapon by giun laws that worked. It is too bad that such law did not also apply to to a shotgun.

It's funny that these same people that are now claiming a shotgun is more effective and lethal than an AR-15 before were insisting that banning assault weapons would deny citizens the right to own that more effective AR-15 for self-defense,

and, remember,

they mocked Joe Biden for touting the effectiveness of a shotgun.

yes...people...some of us don't forget your idiotic flip flopping.

Joe Biden was touting the NOISE a shotgun makes as effective in scaring off a potential burglar, not it's effectiveness as a weapon. He deserved to be mocked, since it against the law to discharge a firearm in most city limits, so he was encouraging people to commit a criminal act.

Actually you have Mr. Conservative, Ronald Reagan, to thank for it. Because he closed all the mental hospitals, including any of those which could have accommodated Aaron Alexis and other mass shooters in the past -- and those who might emerge in the future because there is no place to properly contain them. Ronald Reagan dumped thousands of crazies onto the public streets.

Ronald Reagan, The Man From General Electric, a professional faker and tool of the corporatocracy, was one of the worst things that ever happened to this Nation.

You seem to forget that the ACLU sued to have those in mental health hospitals released.

Reagan just happened to be President when it happened.

which I fully agree with in this instance.

I like the ACLU, if you look at their website you can see that they are fighting for our Civil Liberties. My main problem with the ACLU is their bogus stance on the Second Amendment and some other issues they advocated.

I bow to your superior knowledge of shotguns. I own 5 guns, and none of them are shotguns.

But it still has nothing to do with the issue. The shooter was denied the right to purchase a much more lethal weapon by gun laws that worked. It is too bad that such law did not also apply to to a shotgun.

What state (or district) was he a resident of?

If he was a resident of Texas, he shouldn't have been able to buy anything in Virginia.

Edit...that's an extremely crappy sentence.

How about...

Of which state was he a resident at the time of the purchase?

Why not? I'm pretty sure that the Virginia (my state) law doesn't have a prohibition of such a sale if it's a shotgun or a rifle, as long as the person has the proper ID (DL, Passport, Birth certificate).

But it still has nothing to do with the issue. The shooter was denied the right to purchase a much more lethal weapon by giun laws that worked. It is too bad that such law did not also apply to to a shotgun.

It's funny that these same people that are now claiming a shotgun is more effective and lethal than an AR-15 before were insisting that banning assault weapons would deny citizens the right to own that more effective AR-15 for self-defense,

and, remember,

Joe Biden was touting the NOISE a shotgun makes as effective in scaring off a potential burglar, not it's effectiveness as a weapon. He deserved to be mocked, since it against the law to discharge a firearm in most city limits, so he was encouraging people to commit a criminal act.

You lie.

Here is an example of a thread from 5 months ago where the gun nuts take exactly the OPPOSITE position on shotgun vs. AR-15 than they are taking now:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...hy-we-need-high-capacity-mags-for-guns-3.html

See? Some of the inmates here forget that there is actually a RECORD of what they've said here that can be easily accessed.

Of course it is about what they might do.

Who is denied purchase of a firearm with NO history of behaviour in their life that disqualifies them?

Who is denied purchase of a firearm solely on what they 'might do' someday?

Nobody, which is the way I like it. You, on the other hand, want to ban everyone from buying one on the basis of what might happen.

What purpose does it serve you to lie about what I believe?

Do you get accolades from the idiots? Do you think that approval from idiots is anything other than the fact that you think and speak in a way that idiots appreciate?

Last edited:
Still not buying that CBS and the New York Times story is wrong, although I will be the first to acknowledge it if either print a retraction.

As far as I am concerned, this is a gun law that worked. Another point I would make is that that, even if a shotgun was more dangerous than an AR-15 with a 100 round drum, the story indicates that he bought the shotgun BECAUSE they insisted that they would have to ship the AR-15 to Texas, which tells me that both of these dangerous guns should have been subject to the same gun control laws. As to the issue of federal vs state laws, I see no common sense in a legal system that says that a person in DC can drive 5 miles to Virginia to buy a gun which DC denies him. We learned in Georgia in 1865 that there is a very real and firm limit on State's rights.

Still not buying that CBS and the New York Times story is wrong, although I will be the first to acknowledge it if either print a retraction.

As far as I am concerned, this is a gun law that worked. Another point I would make is that that, even if a shotgun was more dangerous than an AR-15 with a 100 round drum, the story indicates that he bought the shotgun BECAUSE they insisted that they would have to ship the AR-15 to Texas, which tells me that both of these dangerous guns should have been subject to the same gun control laws. As to the issue of federal vs state laws, I see no common sense in a legal system that says that a person in DC can drive 5 miles to Virginia to buy a gun which DC denies him. We learned in Georgia in 1865 that there is a very real and firm limit on State's rights.

Your OP is a lie. The New York Times and CBS lied.

They have been outed. Alexis never even tried to purchase an AR15.

And Virginia has no such law to have prevented the sale either.

and, remember,

You lie.

Here is an example of a thread from 5 months ago where the gun nuts take exactly the OPPOSITE position on shotgun vs. AR-15 than they are taking now:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...hy-we-need-high-capacity-mags-for-guns-3.html

See? Some of the inmates here forget that there is actually a RECORD of what they've said here that can be easily accessed.

People have different opinions about guns? Really?

Who is denied purchase of a firearm with NO history of behaviour in their life that disqualifies them?

Nobody, which is the way I like it. You, on the other hand, want to ban everyone from buying one on the basis of what might happen.

What purpose does it serve you to lie about what I believe?

Do you get accolades from the idiots? Do you think that approval from idiots is anything other than the fact that you think and speak in a way that idiots appreciate?

If you don't believe that people should be denied the opportunity to buy a gun because they might do something bad you must oppose all background checks that are not based on actual criminal convictions. since you don't, I am not the one lying.

Why not? It isn't like CBS and the NYT have never been wrong.

and, remember,

I recall I have stated several times that my first choice for home defense was and is a shotgun. (In fact, I think mine is a similar model to the one he used.)

I mocked Joe Biden because he's a bumbling idiot who wouldn't know what to do with a shotgun if his life depended on it!

But it still has nothing to do with the issue. The shooter was denied the right to purchase a much more lethal weapon by gun laws that worked. It is too bad that such law did not also apply to to a shotgun.

What state (or district) was he a resident of?

If he was a resident of Texas, he shouldn't have been able to buy anything in Virginia.

Edit...that's an extremely crappy sentence.

How about...

Of which state was he a resident at the time of the purchase?

Why not? I'm pretty sure that the Virginia (my state) law doesn't have a prohibition of such a sale if it's a shotgun or a rifle, as long as the person has the proper ID (DL, Passport, Birth certificate).

You gotta love liberals. They're convinced that the states should be forced to recognize every stupid, illegally-imposed "law" regarding marriage that the states - or their leftist governors, anyway - around them come up with, but when it comes to guns, they're supposed to act like isolated Balkan nations.

No hypocrisy there.

I am beginning to believe you are a victim of mental retardation. What do you think the underlying reason is for denying convicted felons and people with histories of mental illness the right to bear arms?

Why are you avoiding the issue?

Someone should take your computer away from you. You are abusing it.

Why didn't you answer my question?

Do convicted pedophiles get denied work at schools, daycare centers etc., ONLY because of what they might do?

Have they done nothing themselves to lose their opportunity to work at those places?

What is wrong with you?

No...they are denied work because of what they HAVE DONE! Are you really THIS GOD-DAMNED STUPID, boy?!?!

Forum List

Back