Virginia Halts Concealed Carry Reciprocity With 25 States

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
I guess Virginia doesn't trust other states to keep guns out of the hands of killers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/23/u...oncealed-gun-permits-from-25-states.html?_r=0

Virginia will no longer recognize concealed handgun permits issued by 25 other states, its attorney general announced Tuesday, a stark change in policy for a state known for its expansive gun rights.

The announcement by Attorney General Mark R. Herring, a Democrat, means that permit-holding residents of the 25 states, which span the country from Alaska to Florida, will no longer be able to carry concealed weapons in Virginia, beginning Feb. 1. Virginia is revoking its so-called reciprocity agreements with those states.

Mr. Herring made the decision, his office said in a statement, after “months of research and evaluation,” including an audit of 30 states whose concealed handgun permits have been considered valid in Virginia. All but five of those states, he said, grant permits to people who would be barred from carrying concealed weapons in Virginia.

From the VA AG's statement:

Virginia's concealed handgun permit law includes a number of disqualifiers and safeguards designed to prevent potentially dangerous or irresponsible individuals from being able to lawfully conceal handguns, such as:

• An individual who has been ordered by a court to receive outpatient mental health treatment, who has received inpatient mental health or substance abuse treatment, or who has been adjudicated legally incompetent, mentally incapacitated, or not guilty by reason of insanity.
  • An individual who is subject to a restraining order, or to a protective order
  • An individual who has been convicted of stalking or has pending stalking charges
  • An individual who has been convicted of any assault, assault and battery, sexual battery, discharging of a firearm or brandishing of a firearm within the three-year period immediately preceding the application, or has pending charges for any of the above
  • An individual who has been convicted of a felony or has felony charges pending
  • An individual who has been convicted of two or more misdemeanors within the five-year period immediately preceding the application
  • An individual who is addicted to, or is an unlawful user or distributor of, marijuana, synthetic cannabinoids, or any controlled substance.
  • An individual who has been convicted of driving under the influence within the three years prior to the application
  • An individual who the court finds, by a preponderance of the evidence, based on specific acts by the applicant, is likely to use a weapon unlawfully or negligently to endanger others
  • An individual whose juvenile adjudications would have constituted a felony conviction if committed by an adult
  • An alien other than an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence
  • An individual who is a fugitive from justice
  • An individual who has been discharged from the armed forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions
Because the following 25 states lacked adequate disqualifiers to deny a permit to someone who would be barred from obtaining a permit in Virginia, the Virginia State Police, on the advice of the Attorney General, has begun notifying the following states that their concealed handgun permits will no longer be recognized by the Commonwealth:

Boycott Virginia ham until they grant concealed carry to illegals!

Sad to see Virginia go Communist/Progressive. Nuff said.
Yeah. Those bastards. Not letting illegal immigrants, mental patients, wife beaters, or felons conceal carry. For shame!

What's this country coming to when a drug dealer isn't allowed to conceal carry?

I have a feeling its less about illegal immigrants and more about the provisions that stop you from carrying when you haven't been convicted of anything, or the two misdemeanor thing.

The main issue is the AG just decided to do it out of the blue, with no consult with the legislature. Expect lawsuits to follow.

Yeah. Those bastards. Not letting illegal immigrants, mental patients, wife beaters, or felons conceal carry. For shame!

What's this country coming to when a bank robber isn't allowed to conceal carry?

Nice hysterical nonsense. Virginia is lost. The Communists/Progressives have invaded and destroyed another once great state. It's tragic.

Sounds more like an excuse by gun grabbers to try and push their agenda since they can't win with it at the ballot box.

If you are an Alabama wife beater, don't be going to Virginia with a gun. Y'all hear now?

If you are an Alabama wife beater, don't be going to Virginia with a gun. Y'all hear now?

I live in Nevada, but my CWP is from South Carolina because that is where I lived when I had it issued. Nevada has a reciprocity agreement with South Carolina so my CWP is good here until it expires in 2017. If the State Attorney General suddenly decreed Nevada would no longer honor CWPs from SC suddenly I'd no longer legally be able to carry despite the fact I've only ever fired either of my guns at a gun range and I've never been arrested for anything in my life.

As I said before, I suspect this is nothing more than a lame attempt by a gun grabbing leftist to push an agenda they can't win on when it comes to a vote by the people and you, for what ever reason, seem to be swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

I'm also curious how the Attorney General of Virginia can suddenly just wave his hand and declare this. In Nevada, these agreements are voted on by the legislature. His action may not even be legal.

"im sorry son. You hung out with the wrong crowd when you were 11. You cant carry a gun"
"im sorry son. You got busted with a join of pot on 2 different occasions. You cant carry a gun"
WTF kind of totalitarian bullshit is this?

I live in Nevada, but my CWP is from South Carolina because that is where I lived when I had it issued. Nevada has a reciprocity agreement with South Carolina so my CWP is good here until it expires in 2017. If the State Attorney General suddenly decreed Nevada would no longer honor CWPs from SC suddenly I'd no longer legally be able to carry despite the fact I've only ever fired either of my guns at a gun range and I've never been arrested for anything in my life.

As I said before, I suspect this is nothing more than a lame attempt by a gun grabbing leftist to push an agenda they can't win on when it comes to a vote by the people and you, for what ever reason, seem to be swallowing it hook, line, and sinker.

I'm also curious how the Attorney General of Virginia can suddenly just wave his hand and declare this. In Nevada, these agreements are voted on by the legislature. His action may not even be legal.
Trump wants to ban all Muslims based on the actions of a few. Lots of people cheered this "logic". They also want to ban all refugees "because you can't tell which ones are terrorists". Again, using the same "logic".

Banning out of staters from carrying a gun in Virginia "because you can't tell which ones are the killers" is the exact same "logic".

You can't whine about one position and be okay with the other.

LIBTARD: Guns just killed some more people. We must ban them.

RUBE: Cars kill a lot more people than guns. So I guess we should ban them, too, right? Right? Right?

FOX NEWS: Some more Muslims just killed some more people. Every time any Muslim anywhere kills someone, we will be right here to tell you all about it, with doom music.

RUBE: WE MUST BAN MUSLIMS!!!

What's this country coming to when a drug dealer isn't allowed to conceal carry?
Oh go fuck yourself. How many permit holders from other states have caused crimes in VA? Yeah, none. The whole thing is a political move to stick it to law abding gun owners and make Papa Obama proud of them.

Trump wants to ban all Muslims based on the actions of a few. Lots of people cheered this "logic". They also want to ban all refugees "because you can't tell which ones are terrorists". Again, using the same "logic".

Banning out of staters from carrying a gun in Virginia "because you can't tell which ones are the killers" is the exact same "logic".

RUBE: Cars kill a lot more people than guns. So I guess we should ban them, too, right? Right? Right?

FOX NEWS: Some more Muslims just killed some more people. Every time any Muslim anywhere kills someone, we will be right here to tell you all about it, with doom music.

No it isnt the same logic at all. But we've already determined you're a mental defective.

Trump is a fucking retard, but what the hell does he or his statements regarding Muslims have to do with what is going on Virginia? You're making a very weak case at linking the two. I'm not seeing any logic from you on this comparison. One is not even remotely related to the other.

"im sorry son. You hung out with the wrong crowd when you were 11. You cant carry a gun"
"im sorry son. You got busted with a join of pot on 2 different occasions. You cant carry a gun"
WTF kind of totalitarian bullshit is this?
Hanging out with the wrong crowd is not a felony conviction.

2 wrongs make a rightwinger. Right g5000? ;)

Forum List

Back