Wal-Mart introduces new dress code, employees must buy own clothes

Will it never stop with these guys?

Employees at Walmart are about to be forced to dress a little nicer at their own expense.

The world's largest retailer has unveiled a new dress code for its massive workforce, Business Insider reports. Starting Sept. 29, associates must wear navy blue or white collared shirts paired with khaki or black pants, capris or skirts.

Employees will also be required to wear a Walmart-branded vest, which the company will provide. However, Walmart says its employees will have to purchase the rest of their work uniform at their own expense. The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

Well, isn't that nice?

http://abc13.com/careers/walmarts-new-dress-code-criticized-by-employees/295823/

The only thing Wal-Mart gave you was a shirt, you still had to provide you own britches, underwear, socks and shoes....

This has to be a joke OP right?

People that are employed at the nations largest welfare recipient pay for their own uniform is a joke?

The Walton Foundation has spent hundreds of millions in NW Ark building Crystal Bridges Art Museum and stuffing it with art, along with the NW Ark Music Pavilion..Of course you have to buy your own shirt....and Mrs Walton paid a ton of gold to keep from getting convicted of DWI 2.............

But hey,,at least you get a 2% adjust gross income tax deduction for it, if you itemize on your taxes.. WAHOOO!

My wife pays 170 dollars a month for a single person health care fee, with a 7k deduction, and,,,,,,,,a 10 dollar a paycheck health care saving fund, to help pay for that 7k deduction......What a country....!(flacid)
She works for Wal-Mart...Associates..Inc....

Employees at Walmart are about to be forced to dress a little nicer at their own expense.

The world's largest retailer has unveiled a new dress code for its massive workforce, Business Insider reports. Starting Sept. 29, associates must wear navy blue or white collared shirts paired with khaki or black pants, capris or skirts.

Employees will also be required to wear a Walmart-branded vest, which the company will provide. However, Walmart says its employees will have to purchase the rest of their work uniform at their own expense. The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

Well, isn't that nice?

http://abc13.com/careers/walmarts-new-dress-code-criticized-by-employees/295823/

That's bullshit. They should be paying for the uniforms themselves. Selfish pricks.

Well, isn't that nice?

That's bullshit. They should be paying for the uniforms themselves. Selfish pricks.
They are in a slump, several locations are losing money and they will close about 270 store this year. They have to pinch pennies to keep the billionaires happy. I worked for Tyson's and one year,1990, Don Tyson wanted to earn 300 million, he only made 250 million, so he cut out bonus checks at Christmas...

Well, isn't that nice?

This reminds me of old west days where company stores sold everything employees needed. Effectively getting labor for free due to markup of everyday goods like food and clothing. :)

Gonna start wearing my pro-union stuff at Wal-Mart. Say loudly near mngt. "So you guys unionized yet?" :)

While I support the idea of unionization, companies have a right to set dress codes for employees. Most employers also require that you buy your own clothes. This really isn't out of line at all.

Many companies have a dress code or require special attire when on the job.

In my line of work steel toe shoes were mandatory at work.

On the positive side.......any attire required by your job is 100% tax deductible. .... :cool:

And those steel toe shoes are paid for by the company....right?
Depends.

I have worked for several companies/corporations in my career doing mechanical engineering.

Some helped pay for your mandatory steel toe shoes/boots and others didn't.

It was a 100% tax deduction for steel toes that I paid for myself.

Bottom line.......a person has to wear shoes on their feet at the job regardless of who pays for them.

So I fail to see why this is an issue?? ..... :cool:

I always had to buy my own climbing boots. They start at $300 a pair and work up quickly. But it was how I made my living, so I bought them.

As a Telecom tech I have to buy my own tools.
My first "real job" working at a brokerage firm on wall Street in their back office I was required to
wear dress pants,dress shirt and tie....Which I had to buy.

I don't get the gripe here?

I always had to buy my own tools also.

Some companies had a weekly payroll deduct deal worked out with the vender.......Snap-On, Mac, Proto, etc.

But the bottom line was that certain tools were required for the job and the money came out of my pocket.

I had no problem with that.......... :cool:

I avoid WalMart whenever possible. Not because of the false Union issue, but because the stores are generally unkempt and filthy.

Agreed. When I shop at WalMart, it is because of the budget. At the end of the month, there's usually a WalMart trip, at the beginning a Costco, and all in between some dollar store type stops.

Good employees can move out of WalMart pretty quickly. I've known a few. Bad ones remain at WalMart on their cell phones hiding from cameras. Get a month of training then move on to another, better managed retail outlet.

Forum List

Back