Wal-Mart introduces new dress code, employees must buy own clothes

One of my Wife's friends, whose husband is in the AF, got a job at WalMart and pretty quickly they wanted her to move into Supervision but she declined. She said there's NO WAY she's gonna' be responsible for the average WalMart employee.

They couldn't pay her enough to do that.

It must be a regional thing. We have two Wally World's here and they are both clean.
same here....you could eat off the floor in them, they are so clean... guess it is where one lives or truthfully, how good the STORE General Manager is.... He/She is responsible for all employees and the whole store!

I have worked at many jobs that required you to buy your own business casual clothes. This is a non-issue.

making minimum wage doesn't leave much left for 5 new outfits for work, 1 for each day of the week you work, that you wear over and over again each week....or 10- 20 outfits so you can have a variety :D

maybe walmart needs the business and now all their employees will be added sales with having to buy new clothes? j/k

I have shopped in many Wal-Mart's in several states while traveling and except for 1 store they have always been clean and the employees helpful.

The 1 store that was the exception was located in a low income ghetto part of town and it was the customers not the employees which were the problem. ..... :cool:

One of my Wife's friends, whose husband is in the AF, got a job at WalMart and pretty quickly they wanted her to move into Supervision but she declined. She said there's NO WAY she's gonna' be responsible for the average WalMart employee.

You couldn't pay me enough to be in any management position, anywhere. When you are in the middle, your job is to supervise those below you and please those above you. No thanks!!

You couldn't pay me enough to be in any management position, anywhere. When you are in the middle, your job is to supervise those below you and please those above you. No thanks!!

After years of being in management I came to the same conclusion and vowed never to do it again, unless I owned the business..Which is what I did...

Meh management isn't so bad, just gotta pay attention to your bosses 'sympathy levels.' By that I mean some bosses like to hang on to shitty employees because their friends of the family and crap so you don't want to jump their shit and get backlash for it. Most of the time I don't have to weed out the lowest end of the pay scale workers so it's not so bad; generally speaking the ones who get a bit higher up are more reasonable and I can sit down with them in a "look you better stop doing this and start doing this or I'm going to recommend getting rid of you" conversation and they straighten right up.

The last low pay puke I fired called me a "slimey purple ****" and I managed to not laugh. I have to admit that is probably the most inventive slur I've ever gotten from the low skill crowd, a bit of a shame though - if the young man had come into work as scheduled and done more than fuck off for eight hours a day the company really could have used the kind of out of the box thinking he had in him. He was bi-polar - it was a really good thing we had a security camera on the discussion so he wasn't able to successfully weasel his way into a lawsuit for unlawful firing due to his "disability" heh

Will it never stop with these guys?

Employees at Walmart are about to be forced to dress a little nicer at their own expense.

The world's largest retailer has unveiled a new dress code for its massive workforce, Business Insider reports. Starting Sept. 29, associates must wear navy blue or white collared shirts paired with khaki or black pants, capris or skirts.

Employees will also be required to wear a Walmart-branded vest, which the company will provide. However, Walmart says its employees will have to purchase the rest of their work uniform at their own expense. The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

Well, isn't that nice?

http://abc13.com/careers/walmarts-new-dress-code-criticized-by-employees/295823/

Dude, tell me about it! I have to buy all of my own clothes for my job too! Button down shirts, ties, polo shirts, pants, dockers, nice jeans for casual Fridays, shoes, belts, and an occasional suit for special work related occasions. They even expect to buy my own bath soap, shampoo, hair styling gel, razors, and cologne so that I'm well groomed when I'm in the office. BULLSHIT I say! They should be giving me an allowance, or better yet, they should buy it all for me. I want a union!!! REVOLUTION BITCHES!!!! Power to Proletariat! Up the IRA!! And all that shit!

making minimum wage doesn't leave much left for 5 new outfits for work, 1 for each day of the week you work, that you wear over and over again each week....or 10- 20 outfits so you can have a variety :D

maybe walmart needs the business and now all their employees will be added sales with having to buy new clothes? j/k
LOL...quit thinking 'outfits' and focus on a uniform.

Employees at Walmart are about to be forced to dress a little nicer at their own expense.

The world's largest retailer has unveiled a new dress code for its massive workforce, Business Insider reports. Starting Sept. 29, associates must wear navy blue or white collared shirts paired with khaki or black pants, capris or skirts.

Employees will also be required to wear a Walmart-branded vest, which the company will provide. However, Walmart says its employees will have to purchase the rest of their work uniform at their own expense. The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

The company even set up a website for employees to buy their new required work clothes at Walmart.

Well, isn't that nice?

http://abc13.com/careers/walmarts-new-dress-code-criticized-by-employees/295823/
It's a non issue.
My company has a dress code designed to portray a modicum of professionalism.
We can wear jeans on Friday if we wear company logo collared shirts sold by the company store.
Regardless of the dress code, we all have to wear clothes purchased by ourselves that fit the company image of professionalism.

If WalMart employees don't like the dress code, they are free to find employment elsewhere.

Well, isn't that nice?

I don't see what the big deal is....they're not being ask to purchase expensive clothing, in fact - it's cheaper than a lot of jeans these days. A lot of places have dress codes and this one is financially modest.

This is NOT a big deal except for one thing.

The timing of it, what a TERRIBLE time to even give the impression that you are saddling your low wage workers with an extra expense for the privilege of working for you.

If I were the CEO, I'd fire whoever decided that this was the right time for that.

One of the things Walmart does is move people into "supervision" in order to force them to work more hours and deny them overtime due to the way the job is technically classified - the duties are still largely the same. It's pretty sucko.

In the end it will be no big deal at all, especially for all the new employees hired because Walmart outfits were never a part of their pay structure or agreement in the first place.

I've always had a dress code, where ever I have worked except this business that I have now, which operates out of my home.

When I was a child and went looking for my very first job, I had a choice of choosing between WT Grants, and McDonalds...they both wanted to hire me....but I chose WT Grants, as a 16 year old teenage girl :D, because I did NOT have to wear a uniform and could buy my outfits and get a discount, while working for WT Grants....

And I laid on the table, that I would have made more money working at McDonald's with them paying for my work clothes.....but, as a girl, I wanted to buy all the work clothes so I chose WTGrants!!!!

The only reason I bring up this story is that a guy friend of mine, who really needed to save up for college because his parents could not afford to pay for him to go, chose to work for McDonalds, BECAUSE they paid for his work clothes, and this would allow him to save up more for college.

So, there will be a handful of employees that this new policy will affect in a negative monetary sense....that may have chosen Walmart over another minimum wage employer, because they could save more by having a Uniform supplied as work clothes verses the minimum wage employer that had a dress code and required you to purchase clothes to fit that dress code.

For all we know Walmart gave these people 6 months notice about this dress code change so these minimum wagers could go find another job with worker clothes provided if they wanted to....?

And Like I Said, this will probably only affect a handful of people.

The net result of the change, is just to make more profit for
Walmart.... higher dividends for the shareholders.... etc.... and this is their company and their choice to make.

They don't have a very smart public relations manager though....or one that is listened to....cuz I believe this negative publicity could have been foretold, and all of this could have been avoided if they handled it differently...while still making the change....

Last edited:
In the end it will be no big deal at all, especially for all the new employees hired because Walmart outfits were never a part of their pay structure or agreement in the first place.

I've always had a dress code, where ever I have worked except this business that I have now, which operates out of my home.

When I was a child and went looking for my very first job, I had a choice of choosing between WT Grants, and McDonalds...they both wanted to hire me....but I chose WT Grants, as a 16 year old teenage girl :D, because I did NOT have to wear a uniform and could buy my outfits and get a discount, while working for WT Grants....

And I laid on the table, that I would have made more money working at McDonald's with them paying for my work clothes.....but, as a girl, I wanted to buy all the work clothes so I chose WTGrants!!!!

The only reason I bring up this story is that a guy friend of mine, who really needed to save up for college because his parents could not afford to pay for him to go, chose to work for McDonalds, BECAUSE they paid for his work clothes, and this would allow him to save up more for college.

So, there will be a handful of employees that this new policy will affect in a negative monetary sense....that may have chose Walmart over another minimum wage employer, because they could save more by having a Uniform supplied as work clothes verses the minimum wage employer that had a dress code and required you to purchase clothes to fit that dress code.

For all we know Walmart gave these people 6 months notice about this dress code change so these minimum wagers could go find another job with worker clothes provided if they wanted to....?

And Like I Said, this will probably only affect a handful of people.

The net result of the change, is just to make more profit for
Walmart.... higher dividends for the shareholders.... etc.... and this is their company and their choice to make.

They don't have a very smart public relations manager though....or one that is listened to....cuz I believe this negative publicity could have been foretold, and all of this could have been avoided if they handled it differently...while still making the change....

Actually, what it boils down to is, they don't give a fuck. Just like McDonalds coming out with a website and encouraging their employees to sign up for SNAP.

What the fuck? I mean seriously.? That's a big slap in the face to everyone in this country, it really is.

I think it's time to tell these companies , you WILL pay your employees enough so that a single person no dependents is NOT eligible for the current level of welfare. If you don't like it, close your doors.

I wasn't that adamant about it until all these companies started thumbing their noses as us.

Another reason (if there aren't enough already) to not shop there. Pretty much anything I could get at Walmart I could get easily at Target and so on. If you don't like Walmart or its policies just don't shop there. Eventually Walmart would go broke if people stopped shopping there, and billions in tax payers money would no longer be spent to prop up Walmart and wage slavery.

Forum List

Back