Wal-Mart introduces new dress code, employees must buy own clothes

If you use a product you cannot write it off twice. It's no different than using a perishable good off the shelf. If i own a convenience store and use a carton of cream for the coffee station I can only write off the cost of the cream once. if I make less profit on that one carton of cream I cannot call that a loss and write it off again.

Using a product wasn't an issue. An ex-employee not returning a uniform was the issue. That's loss.

If you provide uniforms for staff all you can write off is the cost of the uniform. You cannot write it off again if that uniform gets stolen or damaged.

Someone breaks into a company truck and steals tools and I have no deductible loss? Really? My CPA would have issue with that.

Now on the other hand the uniforms can be considered an employee benefit and the employees may be liable for taxes as the value of the uniforms can be counted as income.

Not if the uniform must be returned.

Would you want to wear a recycled uniform? Just curious...ewww

Not sure about what he thinks but he's not thinking this issue through...that much is obvious.

That's where you are wrong.

Your position is that since Wal Mart is the biggest, they should pay for employees for all 2+ million employees and state that doing such would not cost them anything.

IF that is not your position...please tell me where I'm wrong.

We'll wait for you to clarify.

If you use a product you cannot write it off twice. It's no different than using a perishable good off the shelf. If i own a convenience store and use a carton of cream for the coffee station I can only write off the cost of the cream once. if I make less profit on that one carton of cream I cannot call that a loss and write it off again.

Using a product wasn't an issue. An ex-employee not returning a uniform was the issue. That's loss.

If you provide uniforms for staff all you can write off is the cost of the uniform. You cannot write it off again if that uniform gets stolen or damaged.

Someone breaks into a company truck and steals tools and I have no deductible loss? Really? My CPA would have issue with that.

Now on the other hand the uniforms can be considered an employee benefit and the employees may be liable for taxes as the value of the uniforms can be counted as income.

Sure...why not? When I wrenched, I bought every pair of returned work pants the guy had in my size! They were the now-disco'd Dickies Industrial Wear, far and away the toughest work pants I have ever seen. I finally retired my last pair recently...fifteen YEARS after getting them! (In perspective, I get 2-3 years from a pair of typical work pants.)

I usually buy shorts for work secondhand at Savers. My job beats the hell out of them anyway...why pay three times as much?

You knuckle draggers realize that Wal-Mart has had this requirement for years. It's not so much different than a solider in basic being forced to buy his own running shoes and hygiene stuff.

I bet if you looked around then you would find this practice fairly normal.

Sure...why not? When I wrenched, I bought every pair of returned work pants the guy had in my size! They were the now-disco'd Dickies Industrial Wear, far and away the toughest work pants I have ever seen. I finally retired my last pair recently...fifteen YEARS after getting them! (In perspective, I get 2-3 years from a pair of typical work pants.)

I usually buy shorts for work secondhand at Savers. My job beats the hell out of them anyway...why pay three times as much?

To each her own I guess. I work in healthcare so maybe I think of risk a bit different.

Not sure about what he thinks but he's not thinking this issue through...that much is obvious.

That's where you are wrong.

Your position is that since Wal Mart is the biggest, they should pay for employees for all 2+ million employees and state that doing such would not cost them anything.

IF that is not your position...please tell me where I'm wrong.

We'll wait for you to clarify.

Well...clarify your position...

You knuckle draggers realize that Wal-Mart has had this requirement for years. It's not so much different than a solider in basic being forced to buy his own running shoes and hygiene stuff.

I bet if you looked around then you would find this practice fairly normal.

In retail? Please furnish examples.

Standard Dress Codes for Retail Stores eHow

A popular choice for retail stores is to give employees guidelines of what their uniform should be. Black pants, name tag, belt and red shirt are an example of guidelines that employees follow. This allows the employer to have all of the staff dress similarly without being responsible for supplying them with specific items to wear as part of their "uniform." Employers may also give staff members a shirt that is customized for the business and then require them to buy pants, shoes and accessories that meet the assigned dress code.

What To Wear to Work at Major Retailers

When you work for one of the major retailers, the company will have a strict dress code for cashiers, as well as for other store employees.

Big box retail stores may provide a t-shirt for their employees, or may require you to wear a shirt of a specific color. The retailer may allow some choice in pants, or skirts for women, and footwear.

As with company stores, you may be able to use your employee discount to purchase what you need to wear to work.

Before you start your job, check to be sure you know what you should be wearing and make sure you have the appropriate attire to start work.

Retail Store Dress Code Policies Overview - JobMonkey.com

Many retail locations will have some sort of uniform or dress code that you are required to abide by, and they will lay out the exact requirements for your clothing at the time that you are hired, perhaps even providing clothing for you in the case of a uniform.

Instead of a uniform, which the company is legally required to provide, many companies will settle for a dress code instead. You will be required to wear something specific, like a certain color of shirt and pants, and you may be required to wear a belt. In a clothing store, the dress code is usually that you must wear clothing that looks like it was purchased in the store. In most cases, that means khakis or dress pants and a nice top, although some high-scale clothing stores require fancier dress.

http://www.careersatsafeway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Store-Dress-Code-All-Divisions.pdf
Directly from Safeway's employee guide:

Food Clerks/Courtesy Clerks/GMHBC/Liquor:
 Black pants
 Black apron with embroidered logo (not optional – must be worn)
 Khaki button down shirt (male/female versions available)– Long sleeve or short sleeve (casual-optional)
 Black leather shoes
 Black hat with IFL logo optional
 Black Shorts – applicable only to Courtesy Clerks. Limited to be worn from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

http://www.howtohint.com/finance/retail-industry/article-22061-dress-codes-for-retail-jobs.html

In the twenty first century, every job comes with a baggage of its own. Be it the late working hours, the much await salary or the unwanted customer attractions, one has to deal with all of these in just one go. Another such thing that comes in this baggage of a retail job is its dress code. For retail jobs anywhere in the world, a certain dress code is given to the store’s employees, depending upon their job, to carry out a statement of their well maintained standard. As a result, for retail jobs all round the world, a uniform or dress code is a must as you are no longer yourself in the retail store but, a representative of that brand or store.

And just for comparison, here is an even more extreme case of dress codes out there in retail: Revealed in Remarkable Detail American Apparel s Beauty Guidelines -- The Cut

A bit of the lady guidelines:

a) Makeup is to be kept to a minimal- please take this very seriously. Liquid eyeliner, pencil eyeliner and eyeshadow are advised against; mascara must look very natural (ie. should not be clumpy or a color that does not compliment your skin and haircolor). Blush must not be overdone- should not have glitter or sparkles. Liquid foundation is prohibited (undereye concealer is understandable if it looks natural- ie. not clumpy or caked on, must match your skin tone). Please do not use a shiny gloss on your lips; any lipcolor must be subtle.
b) Eyebrows must not be overplucked. Full eyebrows are very much encouraged. Please do not dye your eyebrows a different color.
c) We encourage long, healthy, natural hair, so please be advised of the following:
-Hair must be kept your natural color.
-Blow-drying hair excessively could cause heat damage, so this is advised against.
-"Bangs" or "fringe" are advised against. It is not part of the direction we're moving in.

And guidelines for dudes:

a) Hair should look natural. Excessive product to the extent of creating stiffness and an unnatural or greasy appearance to your hair is advised against.
b) Eyebrows should be natural. Please do not dye your eyebrows a different color or overpluck them.
c) Males should not wear makeup.
d) Facial hair needs to be kept clean and well groomed. Any mustache or goatee of a contemporary style are advised against.
e) No gauges allowed whatsoever.

[...]

Point being, practically every retail business has an image to uphold, and subsequently, a dress code it adheres to. It seems that most of American Apparel's dress-code requirements are comparable to the requirements of other chain retailers. Where the company differs is mainly in its photo-submission rule for potential new employees.

(meh stupid message box lost a few of my source/quotes because some site crashed my browser, w/e I think that covers it anyway.)

Last edited:

Standard Dress Codes for Retail Stores eHow

A popular choice for retail stores is to give employees guidelines of what their uniform should be. Black pants, name tag, belt and red shirt are an example of guidelines that employees follow. This allows the employer to have all of the staff dress similarly without being responsible for supplying them with specific items to wear as part of their "uniform." Employers may also give staff members a shirt that is customized for the business and then require them to buy pants, shoes and accessories that meet the assigned dress code.

What To Wear to Work at Major Retailers

When you work for one of the major retailers, the company will have a strict dress code for cashiers, as well as for other store employees.

Big box retail stores may provide a t-shirt for their employees, or may require you to wear a shirt of a specific color. The retailer may allow some choice in pants, or skirts for women, and footwear.

As with company stores, you may be able to use your employee discount to purchase what you need to wear to work.

Before you start your job, check to be sure you know what you should be wearing and make sure you have the appropriate attire to start work.

Retail Store Dress Code Policies Overview - JobMonkey.com

Many retail locations will have some sort of uniform or dress code that you are required to abide by, and they will lay out the exact requirements for your clothing at the time that you are hired, perhaps even providing clothing for you in the case of a uniform.

Instead of a uniform, which the company is legally required to provide, many companies will settle for a dress code instead. You will be required to wear something specific, like a certain color of shirt and pants, and you may be required to wear a belt. In a clothing store, the dress code is usually that you must wear clothing that looks like it was purchased in the store. In most cases, that means khakis or dress pants and a nice top, although some high-scale clothing stores require fancier dress.

http://www.careersatsafeway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Store-Dress-Code-All-Divisions.pdf
Directly from Safeway's employee guide:

Food Clerks/Courtesy Clerks/GMHBC/Liquor:
 Black pants
 Black apron with embroidered logo (not optional – must be worn)
 Khaki button down shirt (male/female versions available)– Long sleeve or short sleeve (casual-optional)
 Black leather shoes
 Black hat with IFL logo optional
 Black Shorts – applicable only to Courtesy Clerks. Limited to be worn from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

http://www.howtohint.com/finance/retail-industry/article-22061-dress-codes-for-retail-jobs.html

In the twenty first century, every job comes with a baggage of its own. Be it the late working hours, the much await salary or the unwanted customer attractions, one has to deal with all of these in just one go. Another such thing that comes in this baggage of a retail job is its dress code. For retail jobs anywhere in the world, a certain dress code is given to the store’s employees, depending upon their job, to carry out a statement of their well maintained standard. As a result, for retail jobs all round the world, a uniform or dress code is a must as you are no longer yourself in the retail store but, a representative of that brand or store.

And just for comparison, here is an even more extreme case of dress codes out there in retail: Revealed in Remarkable Detail American Apparel s Beauty Guidelines -- The Cut

A bit of the lady guidelines:

a) Makeup is to be kept to a minimal- please take this very seriously. Liquid eyeliner, pencil eyeliner and eyeshadow are advised against; mascara must look very natural (ie. should not be clumpy or a color that does not compliment your skin and haircolor). Blush must not be overdone- should not have glitter or sparkles. Liquid foundation is prohibited (undereye concealer is understandable if it looks natural- ie. not clumpy or caked on, must match your skin tone). Please do not use a shiny gloss on your lips; any lipcolor must be subtle.
b) Eyebrows must not be overplucked. Full eyebrows are very much encouraged. Please do not dye your eyebrows a different color.
c) We encourage long, healthy, natural hair, so please be advised of the following:
-Hair must be kept your natural color.
-Blow-drying hair excessively could cause heat damage, so this is advised against.
-"Bangs" or "fringe" are advised against. It is not part of the direction we're moving in.

And guidelines for dudes:

a) Hair should look natural. Excessive product to the extent of creating stiffness and an unnatural or greasy appearance to your hair is advised against.
b) Eyebrows should be natural. Please do not dye your eyebrows a different color or overpluck them.
c) Males should not wear makeup.
d) Facial hair needs to be kept clean and well groomed. Any mustache or goatee of a contemporary style are advised against.
e) No gauges allowed whatsoever.

[...]

Point being, practically every retail business has an image to uphold, and subsequently, a dress code it adheres to. It seems that most of American Apparel's dress-code requirements are comparable to the requirements of other chain retailers. Where the company differs is mainly in its photo-submission rule for potential new employees.

(meh stupid message box lost a few of my source/quotes because some site crashed my browser, w/e I think that covers it anyway.)

sorry about that, I misunderstood your point.

Forum List

Back