Walmart Earnings Disaster Exposes a Collapsing Economy

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Walmart (WMT) reported earnings of $1.24 a share this morning on revenues of $116.2 billion. Analysts had been expecting $1.25 on $118.5 billion. Sales in stores open morethan a year declined 0.3%. Walmart also guided lower for the full year citing a "challenging sales and operating environment." The stock is off sharply and at risk of going negative for the last 52 weeks. Those are the numbers, but not the whole story.

Walmart is the thermometer of the American economy. Disregard the government data. Jobs and GDP and all the rest are at best inaccurate measures of the economy and at worst flat out corrupt.

Walmart Earnings Disaster Exposes a Collapsing Economy: Davidowitz | Breakout - Yahoo! Finance

Or are people sick of Walmart?

Let's see how Amazon did, and that will tell the tale.

In many towns and small cities, it's Wal-Mart, online purchasing, or drive an hour or more to shop.

If Wal-Mart is down and Amazon isn't up to make up the difference, I'd say it is troubling.

Last edited:
from the story

Davidowitz says another 50 million customers shop at Target (TGT), which he also expects to have negative comp stores sales when it reports next week. Don't forget that Macy's (M) also missed expectations yesterday. Three makes a trend

IMO - Walmarts golden years are ending.
Target/Costco and other big box retailers have since improved their own logistics and practices and can compete with WalMart prices, but have enormously better service and product choices.
We can only hope the decline of Walmart is of a permanent nature.

Being off by a penny does not strike me as a "disaster".

When the economy dived, Wal-Mart got more business. So did the Dollar Store. It does not take a genius to understand why.

Maybe people are maxed out on the amount of cheap, useless crap they can store in their attics and basements.

Time to cut taxes, deregulate and send more jobs to China.

That worked good last time, right, fellows?

You can thank Clinton for that. :lol:

Uhh...no. Clinton foolishly passed NAFTA in a deal with Republicans if they went along with the mortgage shell game the Democrats wanted...., they both got what they wanted and we got screwed on both accounts.
As usual.

Or are people sick of Walmart?

Let's see how Amazon did, and that will tell the tale.

In many towns and small cities, it's Wal-Mart, online purchacing, of drive an hour or more to shop.

If Wal-Mart is down and Amazon isn't up to make up the difference, I'd say it is troubling.

Amazon not looking great either...

Amazonprofit_zps3212567f.png

Amazon.com Profit Margin Quarterly (AMZN)

I don't know. I went out to get my mail, and it did not appear that the sky is falling. Maybe sales are off because people are too busy preparing for the civil war that the tea party keeps predicting....

About the only thing keeping the economy going is the massive amount of money the Fed has been pouring into it. And time. People are starting to peer out from under their bomb shelters and move around a little bit

Certainly nothing the scum of the Earth dimocraps have done.

The Markets are down today (over 200 points) based mostly on the fear that the Fed is going to chill with their QE43..... About a Trillion a year.

Bernanke has done a good job keeping us out of the shitter.

Let's see what happens when the economy has to stand on its own two feet. :eusa_eh:

I don't know. I went out to get my mail, and it did not appear that the sky is falling. Maybe sales are off because people are too busy preparing for the civil war that the tea party keeps predicting....

As far as I know - the sky has never fallen because the chemical makeup of the upper atmosphere is lighter than the denser air we live in.
Anything else?

IMO - Walmarts golden years are ending.
Target/Costco and other big box retailers have since improved their own logistics and practices and can compete with WalMart prices, but have enormously better service and product choices.
We can only hope the decline of Walmart is of a permanent nature.

Costco is a piss ant compared to Wal-mart.

• As of April 18, 2013, Costco has 626 warehouses

Wal-mart?

• Total retail units on June 30, 2013: 10,928

Target, according to the article also has declining profits.

As far as I know - the sky has never fallen because the chemical makeup of the upper atmosphere is lighter than the denser air we live in.
Anything else?

I got my information directly from Chicken Little, and he never lies....

Forum List

Back