Walmart looking to bail out of the UK ahead of Brexit.

Sounds like a good opportunity for Aldi. Can't help but wonder why there is so little competition?

How is this merger getting Walmart out of the UK?
And what does Brexit have to do with it?
It isn't even mentioned in the article.
Asda is owned by Walmart and now they are looking to sell out. Brexit will depress the UK economy and the short and medium term prospects are not attractive. Good time to get out maybe.

Sounds like a good opportunity for Aldi. Can't help but wonder why there is so little competition?
There are 4 major players. Sainsburys and Asda being 2 and 3.The proposed merger will severely limit competition, reduce choice and squeeze suppliers. There was a wave of supermarket openings by the major chains up to about 5 years ago. those days are gone and the only way to increase your business is to do your job better or buy a competitor. Thats if the regulators allow it.

uk-supermarket-share-600x587.jpg

So there is a bonus of leaving the EU.
I think losing Walmart is a definite benefit. I have done work for Asda,off and on, for many years and the staff despise Walmart with a passion. They have chipped away at employee rights and benefits for many years and I have seen a lot of people drop out with stress.
But having said that losing Asda would be a bad thing

I think losing Walmart is a definite benefit. I have done work for Asda,off and on, for many years and the staff despise Walmart with a passion. They have chipped away at employee rights and benefits for many years and I have seen a lot of people drop out with stress.

Well, Safeway went, Asda going would just be another change.

Yes, everyone wants competition, but really, I'd prefer it if the competition didn't involve people like Walmart.

I basically refuse to go to any Walmart store if I can help it.

Yes, everyone wants competition, but really, I'd prefer it if the competition didn't involve people like Walmart.

I think that they will struggle with this.The regulators will need to be convinced that competition is not harmed and I cant see how they can do that.

Walmart still have a couple of options. Sell it to someone else. Amazon ? Or float it on the market.

I think that they will struggle with this.The regulators will need to be convinced that competition is not harmed and I cant see how they can do that.

Walmart still have a couple of options. Sell it to someone else. Amazon ? Or float it on the market.

But the Tories are in power, so a few backhanders and wham, "I don't see a problem, what what!"

Asda is owned by Walmart and now they are looking to sell out. Brexit will depress the UK economy and the short and medium term prospects are not attractive. Good time to get out maybe.

Asda is owned by Walmart and now they are looking to sell out.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is expected to carefully scrutinise Sainsbury’s planned £7.3bn takeover of Asda under which the latter’s US parent, Walmart, will become a major shareholder in the combined group.

Looks like they'll still be in the grocery business.

Brexit will depress the UK economy

Brexit isn't even mentioned in the article. Any proof that it played into their decision?

Asda is owned by Walmart and now they are looking to sell out.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is expected to carefully scrutinise Sainsbury’s planned £7.3bn takeover of Asda under which the latter’s US parent, Walmart, will become a major shareholder in the combined group.

Looks like they'll still be in the grocery business.

Brexit will depress the UK economy

Brexit isn't even mentioned in the article. Any proof that it played into their decision?

Looks like Walmart has an expanded presence with this move. I did not read anything about Brexit in the article.

There are 4 major players. Sainsburys and Asda being 2 and 3.The proposed merger will severely limit competition, reduce choice and squeeze suppliers. There was a wave of supermarket openings by the major chains up to about 5 years ago. those days are gone and the only way to increase your business is to do your job better or buy a competitor. Thats if the regulators allow it.

Currently, Walmart owns 100% of ASDA...17% of the market.
After the merger, they'll own 42% of (17%+29%).....about 19% of the market.

Do you want to alter your claim?

How will Brexit depress the economy? That's just your opinion, many think it will help the UK economy. The fact that you want LESS competition speaks volumes. Maybe the government should nationalize the industry like British Leyland did with the auto industry. Let the unions make all the decisions. Yeah, that will work!

Good luck!

Sainsbury’s & Asda mega merger: what we know and what it means

It’s not quite a merger of equals. Sainsbury’s will retain control thanks to a £2.975bn cash payment to Walmart. The chairman (David Tyler), CEO (Mike Coupe) and CFO (Kevin O’Byrne) will all hail from Holborn, which will remain the HQ. In return Walmart will take a 42% stake, and have two seats on the board. Asda will continue to be run by CEO Roger Burnley, and there are no plans to close its Leeds HQ.

Walmart will own some shares in the new company and they will have board representation. However this will be an enlarged Sainsburys. Walmart are paying for the privilege of getting out and taking on the large pension liability. They are bailing out.

How will Brexit depress the economy? That's just your opinion, many think it will help the UK economy. The fact that you want LESS competition speaks volumes. Maybe the government should nationalize the industry like British Leyland did with the auto industry. Let the unions make all the decisions. Yeah, that will work!

Good luck!
This is why I put this thread in the Stock Market forum. You can talk to adults there.

This is why I put this thread in the Stock Market forum. You can talk to adults there.

So instead of answering my legitimate questions, you deflect. Very adult of you.

Sainsbury’s & Asda mega merger: what we know and what it means

It’s not quite a merger of equals. Sainsbury’s will retain control thanks to a £2.975bn cash payment to Walmart. The chairman (David Tyler), CEO (Mike Coupe) and CFO (Kevin O’Byrne) will all hail from Holborn, which will remain the HQ. In return Walmart will take a 42% stake, and have two seats on the board. Asda will continue to be run by CEO Roger Burnley, and there are no plans to close its Leeds HQ.

Walmart will own some shares in the new company and they will have board representation. However this will be an enlarged Sainsburys. Walmart are paying for the privilege of getting out and taking on the large pension liability. They are bailing out.

Walmart are paying for the privilege of getting out and taking on the large pension liability. They are bailing out.

42% of the merged company......kinda sounds like they aren't bailing out.

0% would be bailing out.

Forum List

Back