Walmart To Raise Age Requirement To Purchase Firearms, Ammunition

The retail giant said it’s making changes to its gun sale policies “in light of recent events.”
5a9740311e000008087ad1ee.jpeg

Walmart has vowed to raise its age requirement to 21 years old for customers looking to purchase firearms or ammunition from their stores.

The retail giant decided to change its firearms policy “in light of recent events,” Walmart said in a statement to reporters on Wednesday.

In addition to the age requirement, Walmart will be removing from its website any items that resemble “assault-style rifles, including nonlethal airsoft guns and toys.”

“We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms and go beyond Federal law by requiring customers to pass a background check before purchasing any firearm,” the company’s statement read.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

More: Walmart To Raise Age Requirement To Purchase Firearms, Ammunition

I salute Walmart for doing the right thing. What do you think?

Great, I hope they get their asses sued off.

hope in one hand, shit in the other

which one fills up first?

So what happened to you almighty public accommodation laws, this is no less discriminatory than a baker denying a fag a cake.

that's nice, honey

it's not true, but it's nice

You can't pretend it's not true, you need to prove it. The law says an 18 year old can marry, can a county clerk deiced they need to be 21? The law says an 18 year old can buy guns and ammo, how can Walmart legally discriminate on age and not violate public accommodation laws?

Because they are not gay...

The retail giant said it’s making changes to its gun sale policies “in light of recent events.”

Walmart has vowed to raise its age requirement to 21 years old for customers looking to purchase firearms or ammunition from their stores.

The retail giant decided to change its firearms policy “in light of recent events,” Walmart said in a statement to reporters on Wednesday.

In addition to the age requirement, Walmart will be removing from its website any items that resemble “assault-style rifles, including nonlethal airsoft guns and toys.”

“We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms and go beyond Federal law by requiring customers to pass a background check before purchasing any firearm,” the company’s statement read.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

Why would they get sued?

See post 114.

3 years ago, Walmart stopped selling guns at all. Was that a violation?

Stores can set age limits for their products. That has been done time and again.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

So what happened to you almighty public accommodation laws, this is no less discriminatory than a baker denying a fag a cake.

that's nice, honey

You can't pretend it's not true, you need to prove it. The law says an 18 year old can marry, can a county clerk deiced they need to be 21? The law says an 18 year old can buy guns and ammo, how can Walmart legally discriminate on age and not violate public accommodation laws?

The marriage license analogy is bogus, since a county clerk is not a private business.

Do you not think both Walmart and Dicks ran this by their legal dept?

that's nice, honey

The marriage license analogy is bogus, since a county clerk is not a private business.

Do you not think both Walmart and Dicks ran this by their legal dept?

Why do they need to? What laws have they broken?

So what? The .223 is a fine little varmint cartridge. However, I prefer the .22-250.

You were the one responding to a comment that Dicks will still be selling semi-auto handguns with high capacity magazine by saying "Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip". (which makes not sense in the context of the post you quoted)

22-250 has a greater range. But a heavy varmint rifle in .223 has such a low recoil, you can keep your target in the field of view of your scope.

That has to do with ones proficiency. The first time I ever shot an AR-15 (.223), it walked on me - but I quickly corrected that.

Pretty much all phases of shooting have to do with proficiency.

But I am still trying to figure out what "Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip" has to do with the posting of "They're still selling semi-automatic handguns with 17 round magazines. Somehow they're less deadly? Not in the right hands they're not, especially in the settings in which we see most of these these shootings".

Yes, handguns are less dangerous than AR-15s. Handgun calibers are generally less deadly than an AR-15 in .223 caliber. Since you've already gone BOLD, I guess large fonts are next.

Considering how many shootings, school and otherwise, have been accomplished with semi-auto handguns, the deadliness is relative.

Between 1982 and 2017, there have been 67 mass shooting involving semi-auto handguns, and 35 involving rifles.

The AR ban is not the cure-all you think.

"First, it is clearly possible to carry out attacks similar to yesterday's, which killed 17 people, without using "assault weapons." Nine of the mass shootings with the 20 highest death tolls involved handguns or long guns that are not covered by Feinstein's bill. That includes the third deadliest mass shooting, which killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2007, as well as two other attacks that killed 17 or more people."

"Second, the fact that the perpetrators of the deadliest mass shootings tend to favor "assault weapons" does not mean that choice makes the attacks deadlier than they otherwise would be. That proposition seems pretty doubtful in light of the "assault weapon" definitions used by legislators, which are based on appearance rather than lethality"

"Americans own something like 15 million AR-15-style rifles, which have been one of the biggest-selling firearm categories during the last decade or so. These guns are almost never used to commit violent crimes. According to the FBI, rifles of all kinds accounted for just 3 percent of firearm homicides in 2016, while handguns accounted for 65 percent. Contrary to what you may have heard, handguns are also by far the most common choice for mass shooters. A Mother Jones review of mass shootings from 1982 through 2012 found that 66 percent of the weapons were handguns, while just 14 percent would qualify as "assault weapons" under the definition used in a 2013 bill sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)."

So all rifles account for just 3% of the gun murders in 2016. Handguns, by comparison account for 65% of gun murders. Dismissing them as "less deadly" is laughable. Especially when you consider how much easier handguns are to get into places where more people are.

And FYI, I use Bold to emphasize specific parts of quotes.
There’s not going to be a ‘new’ AWB.

There’s no political will for it; the current Supreme Court would never let one stand.

In order for one to be even marginally effective there would need to be some type of comprehensive licensing and registration policy enacted as well, or compel that the banned firearms be surrendered, which would result in protracted 4th and 5th Amendment challenges.

And even if 5th Amendment Takings Clause jurisprudence didn’t apply because the banned firearms would be considered ‘contraband,’ 4th Amendment search and seizure challenges would be allowed to proceed, an impossible task in states that didn’t require the registration of firearms prior to the ban.

They are going to run into an issue in the 19 states that ban discrimination based on age in a Public Accommodation.

You are really not that stupid, are you?

19 States have Public Accommodation laws that list age as a protected class. Businesses are allowed to deny goods or services to those under 21 for things like alcohol and tobacco only because local laws prohibit the sale to them. If guns are a legal product for someone under 21 in one of these States, then the companies that will not sell to them are liable for discrimination based on age.

That is their prerogative and I respect their decision. Dick's branded stores haven't sold the AR style rifle since 2012, the change in age for sales aside, this move only applies only to their Field and Stream branded stores. But good on them. Though I believe the decision is as much a publicity play as anything else.

That being said... and I posted this in another thread in reference to this topic...

Fucking pussies. Sell them all or sell none at all.

This is like a store saying they will no longer sell cigarettes, but they'll continue selling loose tobacco and Zig Zags...

All or none? Damn, that's pretty dumb.

Why? If they really want to make a difference, terminate all gun sales. They're still selling semi-automatic handguns with 17 round magazines. Somehow they're less deadly? Not in the right hands they're not, especially in the settings in which we see most of these these shootings. Both Dick's and Field and Stream have plenty of other products to keep customers coming in the door and their websites, what's the big deal?

Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip.

You do realize the caliber of the round is independent from the load of propellant in it, which is what is responsible for the recoil, right?

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

You going to continue to shop there?

Yes.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

You would.

From the OP:

Good for Walmart.

That is their prerogative and I respect their decision. Dick's branded stores haven't sold the AR style rifle since 2012, the change in age for sales aside, this move only applies only to their Field and Stream branded stores. But good on them. Though I believe the decision is as much a publicity play as anything else.

That being said... and I posted this in another thread in reference to this topic...

This is like a store saying they will no longer sell cigarettes, but they'll continue selling loose tobacco and Zig Zags...

Why? If they really want to make a difference, terminate all gun sales. They're still selling semi-automatic handguns with 17 round magazines. Somehow they're less deadly? Not in the right hands they're not, especially in the settings in which we see most of these these shootings. Both Dick's and Field and Stream have plenty of other products to keep customers coming in the door and their websites, what's the big deal?

You do realize the caliber of the round is independent from the load of propellant in it, which is what is responsible for the recoil, right?

Yeah, that's why I load my .460 Weatherby Magnum with the same load as my .22s.

I foresee a law suit in the future. The store has no legal right to deny a patron the right to buy any merchandise they sell so long as they are legally able to posses it.

I foresee a law suit in the future. The store has no legal right to deny a patron the right to buy any merchandise they sell so long as they are legally able to posses it.

Yeah, that's what homos said about cakes.

If you think banning one particular style of rifle and one specific caliber with suddenly change things, you are not very well informed.

And Dicks will most likely still carry .223 ammo. It is a popular round with varmint hunters, especially in wooded areas.

So what? The .223 is a fine little varmint cartridge. However, I prefer the .22-250. BTW, I've never thought of the .223 as good for "wooded areas".
Washington redskin, a .223 is a Very fine antelope and deer cartridge...

Of course, high-powered rifles ARE much more deadly than handguns. Ask any physician. they are more deadly, in the sense than each bullet does so much more damage.
What qualifies as “high powered”? Did you learn that from a Hollywood movie? LOL

I salute Dick's Sporting Goods for doing the right thing. Hopefully more companies will follow.

Just a lot of meaningless bullshit intended to solve NOTHING but maintain a false public image of "proactiveness" to keep all of the liberal activist groups out there from attacking their corporate image. None of this will solve a damned thing because the law is the law and if someone could have bought xyz at Dicks or Walmart, they can go right to any gun store and still purchase same----- probably for less money. All it will really do is mean more money and business for the other suppliers.

Besides, most gun crimes are committed with a handgun! :21:
What is proactive about raising the age limit? Tell me about the interdiction that will occur....
What about rural areas? Why would you deny someone who is 18 considered adult the constitutional right to purchase firearms? It seems you are a fucking gun grabber cowardly one at that. Lol

Forum List

Back