Walmart To Raise Age Requirement To Purchase Firearms, Ammunition

So what? The .223 is a fine little varmint cartridge. However, I prefer the .22-250.

You were the one responding to a comment that Dicks will still be selling semi-auto handguns with high capacity magazine by saying "Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip". (which makes not sense in the context of the post you quoted)

22-250 has a greater range. But a heavy varmint rifle in .223 has such a low recoil, you can keep your target in the field of view of your scope.

That has to do with ones proficiency. The first time I ever shot an AR-15 (.223), it walked on me - but I quickly corrected that.

Pretty much all phases of shooting have to do with proficiency.

But I am still trying to figure out what "Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip" has to do with the posting of "They're still selling semi-automatic handguns with 17 round magazines. Somehow they're less deadly? Not in the right hands they're not, especially in the settings in which we see most of these these shootings".

Yes, handguns are less dangerous than AR-15s. Handgun calibers are generally less deadly than an AR-15 in .223 caliber. Since you've already gone BOLD, I guess large fonts are next.

Considering how many shootings, school and otherwise, have been accomplished with semi-auto handguns, the deadliness is relative.

Between 1982 and 2017, there have been 67 mass shooting involving semi-auto handguns, and 35 involving rifles.

The AR ban is not the cure-all you think.

"First, it is clearly possible to carry out attacks similar to yesterday's, which killed 17 people, without using "assault weapons." Nine of the mass shootings with the 20 highest death tolls involved handguns or long guns that are not covered by Feinstein's bill. That includes the third deadliest mass shooting, which killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2007, as well as two other attacks that killed 17 or more people."

"Second, the fact that the perpetrators of the deadliest mass shootings tend to favor "assault weapons" does not mean that choice makes the attacks deadlier than they otherwise would be. That proposition seems pretty doubtful in light of the "assault weapon" definitions used by legislators, which are based on appearance rather than lethality"

"Americans own something like 15 million AR-15-style rifles, which have been one of the biggest-selling firearm categories during the last decade or so. These guns are almost never used to commit violent crimes. According to the FBI, rifles of all kinds accounted for just 3 percent of firearm homicides in 2016, while handguns accounted for 65 percent. Contrary to what you may have heard, handguns are also by far the most common choice for mass shooters. A Mother Jones review of mass shootings from 1982 through 2012 found that 66 percent of the weapons were handguns, while just 14 percent would qualify as "assault weapons" under the definition used in a 2013 bill sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)."

So all rifles account for just 3% of the gun murders in 2016. Handguns, by comparison account for 65% of gun murders. Dismissing them as "less deadly" is laughable. Especially when you consider how much easier handguns are to get into places where more people are.

And FYI, I use Bold to emphasize specific parts of quotes.

Okay, I surrender. Let's ban all guns except single-shots.

Why? And none of that is gun grabbing.

Easy to say....if your agenda is anti 2nd
Advocating for laws that are perfectly Constitutional and consistent with Second Amendment case law is not to be anti-Second Amendment.

Laws banning handguns would be un-Constitutional.

Laws banning the carrying of concealed firearms would be un-Constitutional.

No one is advocating for such measures.

And only government can act in violation of the Second Amendment, not private entities such as Walmart.

Consequently, there is no anti-Second Amendment agenda.

Of course, high-powered rifles ARE much more deadly than handguns. Ask any physician. they are more deadly, in the sense than each bullet does so much more damage.

5a9740311e000008087ad1ee.jpeg

The retail giant said it’s making changes to its gun sale policies “in light of recent events.”

Walmart has vowed to raise its age requirement to 21 years old for customers looking to purchase firearms or ammunition from their stores.

The retail giant decided to change its firearms policy “in light of recent events,” Walmart said in a statement to reporters on Wednesday.

In addition to the age requirement, Walmart will be removing from its website any items that resemble “assault-style rifles, including nonlethal airsoft guns and toys.”

“We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms and go beyond Federal law by requiring customers to pass a background check before purchasing any firearm,” the company’s statement read.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

More: Walmart To Raise Age Requirement To Purchase Firearms, Ammunition

I salute Walmart for doing the right thing. What do you think?

Great, I hope they get their asses sued off.

Are you really that dumb? Did you click on Walmart's statement link in the OP? Here, try The New York Times.

Walmart and Dick’s Raise Minimum Age for Gun Buyers to 21
Well there's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Since when do companies set legal age limits? Are you seriously thinking all these nasty corporations you hate are suddenly ok with setting national law? How the fuck does that work? Can gas companies not sell fuel to 16 year olds cars because they may have a wreck?

Any time you the person who hates corporations such as Walmart are cheering when they are setting national policy and law seems concerning to me.

Companies can set any age limit they want. I do not know if they still require it but when I was a manager for WalMart you had to be 18 to buy spray paint.
Because that was the law.

Well, what do you know, you are right. I thought it was some dumb WalMart policy. Thanks for the info.
No problem. Just kinda thinking corporations shouldn't be creating law based on the latest left wing melt down on facebook.
Given the ignorance and stupidity of this post, there’s no evidence of ‘thinking’ going on at all.

That is their prerogative and I respect their decision. Dick's branded stores haven't sold the AR style rifle since 2012, the change in age for sales aside, this move only applies only to their Field and Stream branded stores. But good on them. Though I believe the decision is as much a publicity play as anything else.

That being said... and I posted this in another thread in reference to this topic...

Fucking pussies. Sell them all or sell none at all.

This is like a store saying they will no longer sell cigarettes, but they'll continue selling loose tobacco and Zig Zags...

All or none? Damn, that's pretty dumb.

Why? If they really want to make a difference, terminate all gun sales. They're still selling semi-automatic handguns with 17 round magazines. Somehow they're less deadly? Not in the right hands they're not, especially in the settings in which we see most of these these shootings. Both Dick's and Field and Stream have plenty of other products to keep customers coming in the door and their websites, what's the big deal?

Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip.

If you think banning one particular style of rifle and one specific caliber with suddenly change things, you are not very well informed.

And Dicks will most likely still carry .223 ammo. It is a popular round with varmint hunters, especially in wooded areas.

So what? The .223 is a fine little varmint cartridge. However, I prefer the .22-250. BTW, I've never thought of the .223 as good for "wooded areas".
----------------------------------------------- main reason for you deep thinkers but the main reason that .223 is a fine caliber is that it is Standard USA Military caliber . Plus yeah , it works well on varmints Lakhota .

You were the one responding to a comment that Dicks will still be selling semi-auto handguns with high capacity magazine by saying "Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip". (which makes not sense in the context of the post you quoted)

22-250 has a greater range. But a heavy varmint rifle in .223 has such a low recoil, you can keep your target in the field of view of your scope.

That has to do with ones proficiency. The first time I ever shot an AR-15 (.223), it walked on me - but I quickly corrected that.

Pretty much all phases of shooting have to do with proficiency.

But I am still trying to figure out what "Hanguns in .223 caliber? Must be one hellacious pistol grip" has to do with the posting of "They're still selling semi-automatic handguns with 17 round magazines. Somehow they're less deadly? Not in the right hands they're not, especially in the settings in which we see most of these these shootings".

Yes, handguns are less dangerous than AR-15s. Handgun calibers are generally less deadly than an AR-15 in .223 caliber. Since you've already gone BOLD, I guess large fonts are next.

Considering how many shootings, school and otherwise, have been accomplished with semi-auto handguns, the deadliness is relative.

Between 1982 and 2017, there have been 67 mass shooting involving semi-auto handguns, and 35 involving rifles.

The AR ban is not the cure-all you think.

"First, it is clearly possible to carry out attacks similar to yesterday's, which killed 17 people, without using "assault weapons." Nine of the mass shootings with the 20 highest death tolls involved handguns or long guns that are not covered by Feinstein's bill. That includes the third deadliest mass shooting, which killed 32 people at Virginia Tech in 2007, as well as two other attacks that killed 17 or more people."

"Second, the fact that the perpetrators of the deadliest mass shootings tend to favor "assault weapons" does not mean that choice makes the attacks deadlier than they otherwise would be. That proposition seems pretty doubtful in light of the "assault weapon" definitions used by legislators, which are based on appearance rather than lethality"

"Americans own something like 15 million AR-15-style rifles, which have been one of the biggest-selling firearm categories during the last decade or so. These guns are almost never used to commit violent crimes. According to the FBI, rifles of all kinds accounted for just 3 percent of firearm homicides in 2016, while handguns accounted for 65 percent. Contrary to what you may have heard, handguns are also by far the most common choice for mass shooters. A Mother Jones review of mass shootings from 1982 through 2012 found that 66 percent of the weapons were handguns, while just 14 percent would qualify as "assault weapons" under the definition used in a 2013 bill sponsored by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)."

So all rifles account for just 3% of the gun murders in 2016. Handguns, by comparison account for 65% of gun murders. Dismissing them as "less deadly" is laughable. Especially when you consider how much easier handguns are to get into places where more people are.

And FYI, I use Bold to emphasize specific parts of quotes.

Okay, I surrender. Let's ban all guns except single-shots.

You are welcome to try. But I say Let's not. Although, one of my favorite rifles is a single shot. The weapons are not the problem. Otherwise, the fact that there are around 8 million of them in civilian hands would have decimated our population.

But at least you now recognize the AR is not the problem and that semi-auto handguns can be, and have been, used in mass shootings.

The retail giant said it’s making changes to its gun sale policies “in light of recent events.”

Walmart has vowed to raise its age requirement to 21 years old for customers looking to purchase firearms or ammunition from their stores.

The retail giant decided to change its firearms policy “in light of recent events,” Walmart said in a statement to reporters on Wednesday.

In addition to the age requirement, Walmart will be removing from its website any items that resemble “assault-style rifles, including nonlethal airsoft guns and toys.”

“We take seriously our obligation to be a responsible seller of firearms and go beyond Federal law by requiring customers to pass a background check before purchasing any firearm,” the company’s statement read.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

You going to continue to shop there?

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

hope in one hand, shit in the other

which one fills up first?

Businesses like Walmart and Dicks can do what they want, it is their businesses, they own them and can decide who and what they sell.

I think this is what freedom is all about.

Keep this in mind all you 18 to 20 year olds...liberals want your vote, but cheer when your rights are stripped away.

They don't trust you.
When did the Supreme Court rule that prohibiting those under 21 from buying firearms was un-Constitutional; absent such a ruling no rights are being stripped.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

Why would they get sued?

Is that good news or bad news to the left? It's kind of funny that the left petitioned and paraded and freaking rioted to have the voting age dropped to 18 because kids are mature enough to vote. They can join the Military at 18 and be issued a weapon but they can't buy one at Walmart. It's the crazies who are shooting at kids and baseball teams and concerts but the left seems to avoid the issue. Maybe because the crazies are the democrat base.
False comparison fallacy.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

So what happened to you almighty public accommodation laws, this is no less discriminatory than a baker denying a fag a cake.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

Why would they get sued?

See post 114.

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

So what happened to you almighty public accommodation laws, this is no less discriminatory than a baker denying a fag a cake.

that's nice, honey

it's not true, but it's nice

DXKN0laWkAIUPmk.jpg

that's nice, honey

it's not true, but it's nice

You can't pretend it's not true, you need to prove it. The law says an 18 year old can marry, can a county clerk deiced they need to be 21? The law says an 18 year old can buy guns and ammo, how can Walmart legally discriminate on age and not violate public accommodation laws?

I salute Dick's Sporting Goods for doing the right thing. Hopefully more companies will follow.

Just a lot of meaningless bullshit intended to solve NOTHING but maintain a false public image of "proactiveness" to keep all of the liberal activist groups out there from attacking their corporate image. None of this will solve a damned thing because the law is the law and if someone could have bought xyz at Dicks or Walmart, they can go right to any gun store and still purchase same----- probably for less money. All it will really do is mean more money and business for the other suppliers.

Besides, most gun crimes are committed with a handgun! :21:
What is proactive about raising the age limit? Tell me about the interdiction that will occur....

Forum List

Back