WalMart to shut 100s of stores

No matter what one thinks of the Walmart business model this ain't good news for the low income and poor of the country. It ain't good news for no one. As much as I like the price of gasoline I know it comes at a price, meaning bankrupcy and people being put out of work. The Obama legacy just gets better and better. (sic)

Retail Sales in U.S. Decrease to End Weakest Year Since 2009
[/FONT]

Sales at U.S. retailers declined in December to wrap the weakest year since 2009, raising concern about the momentum in consumer spending heading into 2016.
The 0.1 percent drop matched the median forecast of 84 economists surveyed by Bloomberg and followed a 0.4 percent gain in November, Commerce Department figures showed Friday in Washington. For all of 2015, purchases climbed 2.1 percent, the smallest advance of the current economic expansion.

Thank Amazon. It is capitalism, obama has nothing to do with it.

If one can't accept the constant evolution of commerce maybe its time to reevaluate why one should remain in the US. As for the administration, no mater how much they would love to control and legislate consumption human nature is supreme.

I see so many posts on this board about how higher wages for regular workers closes businesses.

My state has the highest minimum state wage in the nation. We have a law here that requires it. Seattle is on schedule to have 15 dollar minimum wage in the next couple years.

Walmart announced a list of over 150 stores in America to be closed this year. I looked at the list. Most are in red conservative states.

My state, Washington, isn't even on the list. None of the Washington stores will be closed. Yet we have the highest state minimum wage in the nation.

New York isn't on that list either. No walmart stores in New York state will be closed. Wages in NYC are around 11 dollars an hour right now and are set to increase to 15 dollars an hour by 2018.

Texas is on that list. They have a state minimum wage that's the same as the federal rate, 7.25 an hour. Walmart is closing 29 stores in Texas.

Most of the stores that walmart is closing are in red conservative states.

If low wages, little worker protections and an atmosphere that favors business and corporations are supposed to be so good for business then why are so many walmarts being closed in so many red conservative states?

Here's the list of U.S. Walmart stores to close - Jan. 15, 2016

Just in case you right wingers want to dismiss CNN here it is from USA Today:

List of the 154 U.S. stores Walmart is closing

Last edited:
The OP is, as usual, a fucking stupid liberal, pushing bullshit minimum wage as the excuse for Walmart closing, instead of the REAL REASON, the move to INTERNET SALES has made many small town locations unnecessary, and financially unworkable!

Wal-Mart Makes Rare Retreat on Home Turf - WSJ

www.wsj.com/.../wal-mart-to-close-269-stores-glob...
The Wall Street Journal
2 days ago - Wal-Mart is closing hundreds of stores across the globe, including 154 ... with slow-growing sales and a shift to online shopping, Wal-Mart has ...

Were there any Wal-Mart Expresses in Washington state?

Walmart is ending its Express concept and closing 269 stores

Even as Walmart plans to close hundreds of locations, it also intends to open more than 300 stores in the next year, including 50 to 60 supercenters in the United States and 85 to 95 Neighborhood Markets. The stores that are to be shuttered are ones that the retailer says account for less than 1 percent of global revenue.

Walmart had been testing the Express concept since 2011 as a way to reach a different kind of shopper and capture dollars from a different kind of shopping trip. Walmart Express stores were something of mashup between a dollar store and a small grocery, offering convenience-oriented food products but not a wide array of fresh produce or meats.

Walmart is ending its Express concept and closing 269 stores

So remember folks, if you own a business, and you're having trouble staying afloat, just double all your employees wages, and voila ! You'll instantly be running a surplus !

OP starts stupid, and keeps on being stupid.

Which of the facts in the OP do you question, or are you just whining again?
The person to blame for this is Obama. He has been President for seven years and has done nothing to improve the economy.

It's Obama's fault that Walmart started a pilot program for smaller stores that didn't work out, so they decided to close those smaller stores and build more super centers? How do you figure that?

I see so many posts on this board about how higher wages for regular workers closes businesses.

My state has the highest minimum state wage in the nation. We have a law here that requires it. Seattle is on schedule to have 15 dollar minimum wage in the next couple years.

Walmart announced a list of over 150 stores in America to be closed this year. I looked at the list. Most are in red conservative states.

My state, Washington, isn't even on the list. None of the Washington stores will be closed. Yet we have the highest state minimum wage in the nation.

New York isn't on that list either. No walmart stores in New York state will be closed. Wages in NYC are around 11 dollars an hour right now and are set to increase to 15 dollars an hour by 2018.

Texas is on that list. They have a state minimum wage that's the same as the federal rate, 7.25 an hour. Walmart is closing 29 stores in Texas.

Most of the stores that walmart is closing are in red conservative states.

If low wages, little worker protections and an atmosphere that favors business and corporations are supposed to be so good for business then why are so many walmarts being closed in so many red conservative states?

Here's the list of U.S. Walmart stores to close - Jan. 15, 2016

Just in case you right wingers want to dismiss CNN here it is from USA Today:

List of the 154 U.S. stores Walmart is closing

Hi Dana7360 How many of the closures are to consolidate smaller locations with ones doing well?
When OfficeDepot and OfficeMax merged, they chose which stores to close, which distribution warehouses and which to consolidate
so there wasn't duplication of sites in the same area.

How do you know Texas didn't have more sites to begin with, and more choices to consolidate?

Also, I know as many people who would RATHER see Mom and Pop stores get the business and close down the Walmarts
instead of the other way around.

I heard more complaints of Walmarts killing local businesses and creating ghost towns.
So maybe their model isn't the best for supporting sustainable business and viable communities.

Texas has that culture of supporting local homegrown businesses, such as HEB, and preferring to patronize Mom and Pop owned businesses.

So many smaller vendors lose out to Amazon and Best Buy when they can't compete.
Who knows what is happening with the Walmarts and their over competitive practices that involve undercutting manufacturers and distributors. How sustainable is that in the longrun?

Last edited:
Funny that a conservative recently created a thread blaming liberals for Walmarts closing, and various liberals explained that the only stores closing were Walmart Expresses, and no conservatives came to their defense. Now a liberal creates a thread about Walmarts closing and conservatives are quick to blame Walmart Expresses. Someone is full of shit.

because the economy is just a rockin

according to the prezbo

--LOL
Created close to 300,000 jobs last month......not minimum wage Walmart jobs either
minimum wage jobs with individual obama care as the insurance option --LOL@U crackhead
Repeating a lie does not help it come true

The 300,000 jobs were not minimum wage

most of them are or barely above the minimum get real for once

plus 94 million out of the work force

according to the prezbo

--LOL
Created close to 300,000 jobs last month......not minimum wage Walmart jobs either
minimum wage jobs with individual obama care as the insurance option --LOL@U crackhead

No? Then what the hell is FoxNews gonna do?

or msnbc for that matter

Funny that a conservative recently created a thread blaming liberals for Walmarts closing, and various liberals explained that the only stores closing were Walmart Expresses, and no conservatives came to their defense. Now a liberal creates a thread about Walmarts closing and conservatives are quick to blame Walmart Expresses. Someone is full of shit.

Exactly.

I saw that thread. It's why I posted this one.

When I point out that most of the stores are in red conservative states with low wages and blue liberal states like mine with higher wages aren't closing stores, the conservative defend walmart and start talking about the real reason why the stores are closed.

Why did they start the thread about high wages closing stores?

They're nothing but liars.

according to the prezbo

--LOL

The 300,000 jobs were not minimum wage

most of them are or barely above the minimum get real for once

plus 94 million out of the work force

4 million baby boomers are retiring each year.

Forum List

Back