Walmart...

Yesterday I stopped into a Walmart in Wooster, Ohio to pick up a cheap gym bag. I actually found a pretty nice one, not exactly "cheap", but not outlandish. I figured I'd scored and headed to the front of the store.

When I got there, I was shocked to see that not a single check-out lane had an actual cashier. Every single lane was self-serve. Every. Single. One.

Years ago, my then 16 year old daughter made $6.25 an hour as a cashier for Walmart. As long as her grades were good, we allowed her to work as many hours as she was offered. She wasn't getting rich, obviously, but she had her own money to do with as she pleased.

When I asked the self-serve "attendant" about it, she told me that they went to an all self-serve model after the minimum wage became the latest perceived panacea for the left. There were about 20 checkout lanes. There's only one person overseeing the self-checkout lanes.

That means that 19 people who could've had cashier jobs have been replaced by technology.

That's very good news for Walmart, and very shitty news for the 19 people who could've had those jobs...
Yep, how dare we think a living wage is reasonable for 40 hours a week work. You are on to something though. It is not the immigrant stealing your job it's tech. Of course it would not be this way if Walmart had a union. Lol. Typical republican wanna play monopoly for ten turns and the let the leader make the rules of the game after that and thinks it will benefit the players that are behind. Hilarious
Oh, it would be this way with or without a union because the global market and advancing technology WILL replace low skilled, low educated workers world-wide. It's inevitable. In fact, the ONLY way to prevent that from happening is to make human workers so cheap they couldn't live on the pay anyway. Trying to lock down human jobs by legislative fiat won't work, because that would just cede them to other countries entirely.

Now, if Wal-Mart had a union, where would you send the poor of this country to buy the things they can't afford at Wal-Mart any more?
Well first off more unions mean less poor. More people making a living wage. You can not out source the service of local buyers to other countries because they are not present in our local market. We got along just fine before Walmart existed . All of your arguments are horse shit.
And we paid higher prices before Wal-Mart because in large part we were the world's biggest manufacturer until the rest of the world recovered from that little unpleasantness in the 40's that destroyed their manufacturing base. Today, in a global economy with technology advancing the way it is, low skilled low education jobs will become fewer every year, no matter how many unions you throw at them. Machines just do a better, more consistent job than humans do and their costs drop while the cost of humans climbs. When those lines cross, bye-bye human jobs.
Fact remains the same we still need human eyes at the grocery. Or the grocery gets robbed blind. Uniins would have prevented the machines from being installed. Can not out source local service it's that simple. By the time machines can take over that function doctors and lawyers ate now completed against by machines and it is game over we are done machines rule.I get it you want the billionaires to make all the rules because they know better what is good for you. When in reality they know better what is good for them. Soon under republican leadership only those who own the machines will be able to make a living.

Yesterday I stopped into a Walmart in Wooster, Ohio to pick up a cheap gym bag. I actually found a pretty nice one, not exactly "cheap", but not outlandish. I figured I'd scored and headed to the front of the store.

When I got there, I was shocked to see that not a single check-out lane had an actual cashier. Every single lane was self-serve. Every. Single. One.

Years ago, my then 16 year old daughter made $6.25 an hour as a cashier for Walmart. As long as her grades were good, we allowed her to work as many hours as she was offered. She wasn't getting rich, obviously, but she had her own money to do with as she pleased.

When I asked the self-serve "attendant" about it, she told me that they went to an all self-serve model after the minimum wage became the latest perceived panacea for the left. There were about 20 checkout lanes. There's only one person overseeing the self-checkout lanes.

That means that 19 people who could've had cashier jobs have been replaced by technology.

That's very good news for Walmart, and very shitty news for the 19 people who could've had those jobs...
Yep, how dare we think a living wage is reasonable for 40 hours a week work. You are on to something though. It is not the immigrant stealing your job it's tech. Of course it would not be this way if Walmart had a union. Lol. Typical republican wanna play monopoly for ten turns and the let the leader make the rules of the game after that and thinks it will benefit the players that are behind. Hilarious
Oh, it would be this way with or without a union because the global market and advancing technology WILL replace low skilled, low educated workers world-wide. It's inevitable. In fact, the ONLY way to prevent that from happening is to make human workers so cheap they couldn't live on the pay anyway. Trying to lock down human jobs by legislative fiat won't work, because that would just cede them to other countries entirely.

Now, if Wal-Mart had a union, where would you send the poor of this country to buy the things they can't afford at Wal-Mart any more?
Well first off more unions mean less poor. More people making a living wage. You can not out source the service of local buyers to other countries because they are not present in our local market. We got along just fine before Walmart existed . All of your arguments are horse shit.
And we paid higher prices before Wal-Mart because in large part we were the world's biggest manufacturer until the rest of the world recovered from that little unpleasantness in the 40's that destroyed their manufacturing base. Today, in a global economy with technology advancing the way it is, low skilled low education jobs will become fewer every year, no matter how many unions you throw at them. Machines just do a better, more consistent job than humans do and their costs drop while the cost of humans climbs. When those lines cross, bye-bye human jobs.
Fact remains the same we still need human eyes at the grocery. Or the grocery gets robbed blind. Uniins would have prevented the machines from being installed. Can not out source local service it's that simple. By the time machines can take over that function doctors and lawyers ate now completed against by machines and it is game over we are done machines rule.I get it you want the billionaires to make all the rules because they know better what is good for you. When in reality they know better what is good for them. Soon under republican leadership only those who own the machines will be able to make a living.
This is reality, you're living in a fantasy. Where do you think those human eyes in the grocery will be? They'll be in the back room watching the video feeds from the multiple cameras watching the entire store. You'd only need a handful. Heck, they wouldn't even have to be in the store, just need a few guards with phones to be alerted and keep things in check. And unions could not have prevented machines from being installed for very long, because once people can get groceries shipped to their houses cheaper than they can get them from a store, game over. Even today, grocery delivery is a big and growing business and it won't be too long before brick and mortar grocery stores will be replaced by warehouses and distribution centers. Amazon will rule.

The need for low skilled, low paid workers will continue to diminish, count on it.

Self service checkout lines have been a "thing" for 30 years.
You know, back BEFORE the minimum wage was raised to its current levels.

Something stinks of hypocrisy.
Perhaps a good bath in reality might remove some of that stink.
Their usage is only going to increase. I predict in 20 years or less, the idea of waiting in line for someone else to run your purchases over a scanner and put them in a bag will be seen as something Grandma used to do that no self-respecting shopper would do today.
It is more efficient.
Moves more customers through the line
BUT
As for the future
The idea of spending 2 hours walking around a grocery store
no matter how you check out
will be what most people look on as something "granny used to do."

Personally, I haven't been grocery shopping other than picking up am item or two in 3 years.

It is the future folks and nothing to do with minimum wage.

50 years ago when you went to a gas station:
You went there for gas, not fast food, gas
An attendant pumped the gas, checked your fluid levels, and washed the windshield
Today? Pump it yourself, go shopping, stop for dinner.

The way of the world kids.

It's the wa

Well, the issue here is that this technology is inevitable. You can blame the left and minimum wage, but the UK brought in a decent minimum wage in in 1997 or something like that. It didn't lead to automated checkouts, because there weren't any at the time.

It's like saying tractors are destroying farming. No, they took subsistence farming and made it better.

People who make things are the ones who benefit. Give your kids the skills for the future, teach them robotics and they'll be able to get themselves a job.

The future doesn't stop for people. People stop for lack of skills.

I only hit a Walmart about once very other month.

Yes, the number of actual attended registers has fallen dramatically.

Last trip there were 2 registers open and long lines at both.

I took my cart to the service counter and asked for the manager.
Gave him the choice of checking me out right there or putting away all the stuff in the cart as I walked out.

Amazing how quickly he figured out how to do checkout!

WalMarx.gif

I stopped shopping HellMart when Sam Walton died, and his Communist kids took over and sold out to China.
Sam Walton's motto was "American companies hiring American employees to sell American products to Americans". After his kids took over, they immediately sold out to China, cutting out ALL American made products!

I prefer Target anyway. Cleaner stores, better merch, happier employees, FRIENDLIER employees, faster check out, and my total bill was always lower than the same exact stuff my friends bought at HellMart.

Self service checkout lines have been a "thing" for 30 years.
You know, back BEFORE the minimum wage was raised to its current levels.

Something stinks of hypocrisy.
Perhaps a good bath in reality might remove some of that stink.
Their usage is only going to increase. I predict in 20 years or less, the idea of waiting in line for someone else to run your purchases over a scanner and put them in a bag will be seen as something Grandma used to do that no self-respecting shopper would do today.
It is more efficient.
Moves more customers through the line
BUT
As for the future
The idea of spending 2 hours walking around a grocery store
no matter how you check out
will be what most people look on as something "granny used to do."

Personally, I haven't been grocery shopping other than picking up am item or two in 3 years.

It is the future folks and nothing to do with minimum wage.

50 years ago when you went to a gas station:
You went there for gas, not fast food, gas
An attendant pumped the gas, checked your fluid levels, and washed the windshield
Today? Pump it yourself, go shopping, stop for dinner.

The way of the world kids.

It's the wa
I order all my groceries over the internet and they put it in the trunk free of charge. No need for checkout lines.
Or they'll deliver it for a $10 fee.
The problem is they don't allow you to buy everything in the store for delivery. It makes no sense what is available and what isn't based on what is on stock when you walk into the store.

WalMarx.gif

I stopped shopping HellMart when Sam Walton died, and his Communist kids took over and sold out to China.
Sam Walton's motto was "American companies hiring American employees to sell American products to Americans". After his kids took over, they immediately sold out to China, cutting out ALL American made products!

I prefer Target anyway. Cleaner stores, better merch, happier employees, FRIENDLIER employees, faster check out, and my total bill was always lower than the same exact stuff my friends bought at HellMart.
boycotting Target and their allowing men into female restrooms.

WalMarx.gif

boycotting Target and their allowing men into female restrooms.

Woop D Fukkin Doo!
Nobody said you HAVE to use their restrooms.
Men and women have been using the "opposites" restrooms as far back as I can remember......which has been at least 5 decades now! When you gotta go you gotta GO!
If you've got something nobody's ever seen before, then you either need to call Ripleys Believe It Or Not.......or the freak carnival.

My local WalMart "super stores" have a fairly sizable "corral" with a dozen or so self-serve registers. A monitor makes sure that there is one customer - and no more than that - at each register, while there is a socially-distant lineup waiting to get into the corral. It works out fine.

In fact, it works out better for most customers than the traditional lineup of staffed cash registers, with customers trying to guess which one will move the fastest to get them out of the store most expeditiously.

I shop at WalMart when I'm looking for something that I can't find at my local "Giant Eagle," and my on-line sources say it is available at WalMart.

Having worked in retail for a couple years early in my adulthood, I understand the difference between a self-serve store like WalMart and a store like Lowe's, where the employees are encouraged to help customers copiously (which they do).

If the cash register corral allows WalMart to operate the store with a couple fewer people, I have no problem with that, just as I don't mind pumping my own gas.

Equal protection of the law for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States would render that issue moot since labor would be able to quit and collect unemployment compensation.

Forum List

Back