War on Christmas 2014

The 'war on Christmas' is yet another inane contrivance of the right, seeking to fabricate a controversy where none exists for some perceived partisan gain, and is yet another example of the divisive conservative agenda.
I disagree, it takes two to be divisive.
Personally, I think that billboard is in poor taste and without a doubt serves a greater agenda.
There's a significant difference between advocating for separation of church/state and trying to denigrate someone's belief system (whether we agree with it or not). Obviously, undermining the religion is a means to undercut certain political arguments and that is what is being done here.
What bothers me most though is the way it is targeted at children.

The 'war on Christmas' is yet another inane contrivance of the right, seeking to fabricate a controversy where none exists for some perceived partisan gain, and is yet another example of the divisive conservative agenda.
Personally, I think that billboard is in poor taste and without a doubt serves a greater agenda.
There's a significant difference between advocating for separation of church/state and trying to denigrate someone's belief system (whether we agree with it or not). Obviously, undermining the religion is a means to undercut certain political arguments and that is what is being done here.
Nonsense.

It takes only one person to poison the well, to contrive and propagate lies about a 'war on Christmas' in bad faith seeking only to divide.

The billboard is protected free expression, it in no way 'denigrates' any religion, but appropriately questions the notion that Christmas is solely a religious event, when in fact it is as much a secular holiday as religious, and a pagan holiday before it was misappropriated by Christians.

Christmas is as much a significant time of year for those free from faith as it is theists, no church attendance required.

Nonsense.

It takes only one person to poison the well, to contrive and propagate lies about a 'war on Christmas' in bad faith seeking only to divide.

The billboard is protected free expression, it in no way 'denigrates' any religion, but appropriately questions the notion that Christmas is solely a religious event, when in fact it is as much a secular holiday as religious, and a pagan holiday before it was misappropriated by Christians.

Christmas is as much a significant time of year for those free from faith as it is theists, no church attendance required.

"Misappropriated." lol

And no doubt the Romans who ruled the known world were powerless to do anything about having their holiday taken away from them.

Is that why so many atheists are militant against Chrstianity? Because we turn our noses up if we see them enjoying the Christmas season?

Nonsense.

"Misappropriated." lol

And no doubt the Romans who ruled the known world were powerless to do anything about having their holiday taken away from them.

Is that why so many atheists are militant against Chrstianity? Because we turn our noses up if we see them enjoying the Christmas season?
Misappropriated?

Jesus was born in March. Why do you celebrate his birthday at the Winter Solstice?

The billboard being protected free expression is not at issue, whether it is divisive or not is. Your "interpretation" as to the message of the billboard is a crock. Calling going to church akin to a fairy tale could be considered highly offensive to many people, regardless of what you (or I) personally believe. No billboard is required for those free from faith to 'celebrate' Christmas without attending church.

Nonsense.

"Misappropriated." lol

Misappropriated?

Jesus was born in March. Why do you celebrate his birthday at the Winter Solstice?

You wouldn't know. Especially if you stick only to your favored sources.

Why does anyone care what day Christians celebrate Jesus' birth?

Misappropriated normally means to unjustly take something that has value to others or is owned by others and misuse or steal it in some way. And now you are suggesting Christianity did something very bad and ruined the holiday for the Romans? How is that possible when Christianity was in hiding for those 300 years and Rome made all the rules by force? Find another word.

Nonsense.

"Misappropriated." lol

Misappropriated?

Misappropriated normally means to unjustly take something that has value to others or is owned by others and misuse or steal it in some way. And now you are suggesting Christianity did something very bad and ruined the holiday for the Romans? How is that possible when Christianity was in hiding for those 300 years and Rome made all the rules by force? Find another word.
Pagans celebrated the solstice with decorated trees, Yule logs and exchanging gifts

Christians came in and said......that's our holiday too!

Nonsense.

"Misappropriated." lol

Misappropriated?

Pagans celebrated the solstice with decorated trees, Yule logs and exchanging gifts

My, my.

Then after that the pagans, the atheists, the Jews, the Hindus and whoever else came in and said to the Christians "we are going celebrate Christmas too, but our own way" ----- and the Christians said "All very well! Peace on earth and good will to all men."

Nonsense.

"Misappropriated." lol

Misappropriated?

My, my.

Then after that the pagans, the atheists, the Jews, the Hindus and whoever else came in and said to the Christians "we are going celebrate Christmas too, but our own way" ----- and the Christians said "All very well! Peace on earth and good will to all men."

So let's put it into perspective

Pagan Europeans are happy with their solstice celebrations. Christians "Declare War" and steal their holiday
Now Christians whine like little bitches if you don't say Merry Christmas

"Misappropriated." lol

Misappropriated?

My, my.

Pagan Europeans are happy with their solstice celebrations. Christians "Declare War" and steal their holiday

So much for you putting into perspective. - - - spin cycle - - -

SOCON's love having their chains yanked by the likes of O'Really:

It s War on Christmas time. Shut up it s still a thing
All you need to know about this is that Bill O'Reilly spent an entire segment talking to a psychotherapist about the "War on Christmas" and why "nasty" atheists are "bullies" coming together to try to hurt people who celebrate the holiday.

I could transcribe bits of it, but you already know the drill. Watch it if you want to see Bill O'Reilly marvel at just how mean and nasty a bunch of people who aren't him are.

9 reasons Fox News thinks there 8217 s a war on Christmas - Salon.com
As Daniel Denvir explains in Politico, the War on Christmas has a rich history rooted in right-wing America. But it was Fox News that, residing atop what Jon Stewart often refers to as Bullshit Mountain, began the media circus over the so-called attack on the Christian holiday in 2004 (Media Matters has nearly 100 posts tagged with “War on Christmas” since then). Over the years, Fox has come up with a host of bizarre evidence of this so-called attack on Christians — here are a few of the most ridiculous ones:

Misappropriated?

My, my.

How is Christians appropriating a pagan holiday any more justifiable than your war on Christmas?

All your war on Christmas does is not bowing down to your Christmas demands on others

My, my.

How is Christians appropriating a pagan holiday any more justifiable than your war on Christmas?

All your war on Christmas does is not bowing down to your Christmas demands on others
^ that

Now, THAT is funny, I don't care how stupid it is!!!

The billboard being protected free expression is not at issue, whether it is divisive or not is. Your "interpretation" as to the message of the billboard is a crock. Calling going to church akin to a fairy tale could be considered highly offensive to many people, regardless of what you (or I) personally believe. No billboard is required for those free from faith to 'celebrate' Christmas without attending church.

I was raised in a very strict Christian church. As a youngster, I was forced to go against my will, and wasn't allowed to ask questions. It took me 40 years to recover from that stifling indoctrination. I suppose that's why I find the billboard in the OP refreshing.

I think this sign is ridiculous, because clearly we see that atheists do exist, unlike God. But this is a free country, they have every right to put up this sign, no matter how ridiculous.

church_sign.jpg

Forum List

Back