Was Jean Paul Sartre the first existentialist Philosopher, or was it Albert Camus.??

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I read a lot of Jean Paul Sartre Philosophical work about existentialism. But someone once told me Sartre was good friends with an Albert Camus. And that Camus had a lot of influence on Jean Paul Sartre overall existential philosophical writings. My question then, is who had more influence in the entire existential philosophical movement, at that time in the past, and who crafted and made existential philosophy what it is in todays world. Camus, or Sartre.??Or were they both equally involved with its overall development??, and refinement.??Or was it someone else that I am not mentioning? Like Hegel.?? or Nitze.?

Last edited:
The Philosophers name was Nietzsche. A German Philosopher. Are Jean Sartre, and Albert Camus, expanding on Nietzsche.?? Philosophy?

Best essay I can find on Existentialism.

History of Existentialism

Existentialist-type themes appear in early Buddhist and Christian writings (including those of St. Augustine and St.Thomas Aquinas). In the 17th Century, Blaise Pascal suggested that, without a God, life would be meaningless, boring and miserable, much as later Existentialists believed, although, unlike them, Pascal saw this as a reason for the existence of a God. His near-contemporary, John Locke, advocated individual autonomy and self-determination, but in the positive pursuit of Liberalism and Individualism rather than in response to an Existentialist experience.

Existentialism in its currently recognizable form was inspired by the 19th Century Danish philosopher Søren Kierkegaard, the German philosophers Friedrich Nietzsche, Martin Heidegger, Karl Jaspers (1883 - 1969) and Edmund Husserl, and writers like the Russian Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821 - 1881) and the Czech Franz Kafka (1883 - 1924). It can be argued that Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel and Arthur Schopenhauer were also important influences on the development of Existentialism, because the philosophies of Kierkegaard and Nietzsche were written in response or in opposition to them.

Kierkegaard and Nietzsche, like Pascal before them, were interested in people's concealment of the meaninglessness of life and their use of diversion to escape from boredom. However, unlike Pascal, they considered the role of making free choices on fundamental values and beliefs to be essential in the attempt to change the nature and identity of the chooser. In Kierkegaard's case, this results in the "knight of faith", who puts complete faith in himself and in God, as described in his 1843 work "Fear and Trembling". In Nietzsche's case, the much-maligned "Übermensch" (or "Superman") attains superiority and transcendence without resorting to the "other-worldliness" of Christianity, in his books "Thus Spake Zarathustra" (1885) and "Beyond Good and Evil" (1887).

Nieetzsche was a homosexual who died from syphilis, so was mentally ill; not much to see there.

In the culture at large, at least as far as the Brits and American culture goes, Locke seems to have had the most influence on politics and culture, both directly and indirectly.

I read a lot of Jean Paul Sartre Philosophical work about existentialism. But someone once told me Sartre was good friends with an Albert Camus. And that Camus had a lot of influence on Jean Paul Sartre overall existential philosophical writings. My question then, is who had more influence in the entire existential philosophical movement, at that time in the past, and who crafted and made existential philosophy what it is in todays world. Camus, or Sartre.??Or were they both equally involved with its overall development??, and refinement.??Or was it someone else that I am not mentioning? Like Hegel.?? or Nitze.?
you're asking a kid that was raised on a dairy this question?

Nieetzsche was a homosexual who died from syphilis, so was mentally ill; not much to see there.

In the culture at large, at least as far as the Brits and American culture goes, Locke seems to have had the most influence on politics and culture, both directly and indirectly.
Yes, yes I hear many of the great modern, and Greek Philosophers were homosexuals. But I hear this Nietzsche may have started to refine, and fine tune this entire existential philosophical mind set, in many other philosophers that wrote after his main philosophical thesis.? My question still remains though, was it Jean Paul Sartre or Albert Camus, who expanded on the entire existential philosophical movement in the 20th century.??And took it to where it is today in the 21st century.?? Any body with an answer.???

Yes, yes I hear many of the great modern, and Greek Philosophers were homosexuals. But I hear this Nietzsche may have started to refine, and fine tune this entire existential philosophical mind set, in many other philosophers that wrote after his main philosophical thesis.? My question still remains though, was it Jean Paul Sartre or Albert Camus, who expanded on the entire existential philosophical movement in the 20th century.??And took it to where it is today in the 21st century.?? Any body with an answer.???

So you're asking specifically about Sartre and Camus? Your questions seem a lot more general. Sartre was the most popular of the two overall, but CAmus wrote the most popular book.

So you're asking specifically about Sartre and Camus? Your questions seem a lot more general. Sartre was the most popular of the two overall, but CAmus wrote the most popular book.
Was Sartre popularity due to the fact that he saw every ones pursuit in life as an absurd quest that can only ultimately end with ones death at any given moment??!!?

Was Sartre popularity due to the fact that he saw every ones pursuit in life as an absurd quest that can only ultimately end with ones death at any given moment??!!?

I think he was just more popular with academics and the media than Camus, but The Rebel showed Camus to be the better writer. Sartre got jealous and broke off their friendship.

I think he was just more popular with academics and the media than Camus, but The Rebel showed Camus to be the better writer. Sartre got jealous and broke off their friendship.
I hear a lot of people now saying the word "existential", without knowing anything about the philosophical context of where the word came out of.??or do they..??

I hear a lot of people now saying the word "existential", without knowing anything about the philosophical context of where the word came out of.??or do they..??

It's a load of BS, so it doesn't matter anyway, just another pseudo -intellectual window dressing excuse for selfishness and narcissism. Both Sartre and Camus were 'Marxists', it was oh so trendy and fashionable and trendy among their peer groups back in the day and still is among bourgeois halfwits with high self-esteem. It's sister idiocy is Ayn Rand worship and Libertoonism on the Right. They're joined at the hip.

I’ve visited his grave in Montparnasse. De Beauvoir is buried with him.

So these Pseudo intellectual window dressers, who are selfish and narrcissist, are all just a bunch of liberal left wing communists at heart, is that what you are saying.??

Last edited:
I'm going with Kierkegaard.

Which Philosopher wrote that their is no real law, just your law in life. That there was no real right or wrong. Just what ever you felt that was right or wrong.!?? Was that Nietzsche?? or one of the other existential philosophers.? Who wrote that statement about, your acts are the only real Law in life.??!!Your responses. ??!!

Forum List

Back