"We Know in 2001 Cell Phones Worked Up To 50,000 Feet and..."

Some guy?

Do you happen to have a link to this quote or the person's name?

It was David Coburn who works for PM. Here's a bitch session link about the "documentary" by the Hist Channel.

"For instance Davin Coburn made the preposterous statement that in 2001 cell phone technology would work at 50,000 feet."
Right Wing Nut House 9/11 TRUTHERS GUT PUNCHED BY HISTORY CHANNEL

gee, that wasn't a biased article at all......:eusa_whistle:

Did anybody consider they might have been using satellite phones? Wouldn't those have worked?

The link wasn't to an "article" but welcome to another episode of OCTAs Can't Keep Up! The seatback phones were satellite phones so yes....if they were using those phones they would have worked. For flight 77 nobody has ever been able to produce phone records coming from that flight. On a side note....last night I tried doing a flight history search for N644AA in the BTS and RITA and not much was popping up.

The dude from Poopular Mekanics claimed it was known in 2001 cell phones worked on planes up to 50,000 feet. I pointed that out as a great example of how biased PM has always been about 9E.

My cell phone regularly worked over 50 miles from towers & in jet airplanes in 2001. I could talk for a few minutes at a time before going out of tower range at cruse speed near 30,000ft. Once I called costumer care to complain about reception at the Mark Twain Lake in Missouri were I spent summers & they told me I was over 50 miles from the tower I was using in Columbia, MO. I know the locals there were using towers that were that far off also.
Rotfl! You didn't expect anyone to believe this did you?

I don't know what others believe. I am only stating facts. In 2000 many local farmers & I used Nokia 5120 & 5185 cell phones in Perry, MO 63462 using AT&T / Cingular Service. There were no towers around there back then. We would use Automobile mounted booster antenna in bad spots. But without booster antenna we could talk up to 60 miles in high open areas. I do not care what the specs say. The phone company also could not believe it when they discovered how far they worked.

It's called skip.

I don't know what others believe. I am only stating facts. In 2000 many local farmers & I used Nokia 5120 & 5185 cell phones in Perry, MO 63462 using AT&T / Cingular Service. There were no towers around there back then. We would use Automobile mounted booster antenna in bad spots. But without booster antenna we could talk up to 60 miles in high open areas. I do not care what the specs say. The phone company also could not believe it when they discovered how far they worked.

I made several calls from the air on an old motorola phone that I had. Both prior and post 9/11.

Some went through, some did not. This is a bizarre subject--i.e. why do you think the airlines don't want you using your cell phones if they are useless from the air?

Just as an aside, with the transponders turned off, there seems as though there'd be less interference from the aircraft since there isn't something else transmitting within a few feet of you. Just a thought.

This has been covered you fucking dumbass.....cell phones are transmitters....it doesn't matter if you could actually talk on your phone.....it would still send transmissions that would try to link with a tower. That is why many phones have the "Airplane Mode" feature. When you turn that on it stops emitting the signal thus allowing you to use non-data linked programs so you would not have to turn your cell phone off.

Your comment about the xponders being turned off was the equivalent of you saying:

"I'm REALLY FUCKING CLUELESS on this subject!"

(now watch some dishonest asshole purposefully misquote me.....)
i have a Nokia E71x, with updated software, and it doesn't have this "airplane" mode

I made several calls from the air on an old motorola phone that I had. Both prior and post 9/11.

Some went through, some did not. This is a bizarre subject--i.e. why do you think the airlines don't want you using your cell phones if they are useless from the air?

Just as an aside, with the transponders turned off, there seems as though there'd be less interference from the aircraft since there isn't something else transmitting within a few feet of you. Just a thought.
i have a Nokia E71x, with updated software, and it doesn't have this "airplane" mode

The LX600 I have (stop giggling) has such a mode. It has worked from airplanes too. Airplanes in flight. The premise that there is no way a phone call can be made from a plane is just another stupid assed claim from fry mommy. G'night.

The LX600 I have (stop giggling) has such a mode. It has worked from airplanes too. Airplanes in flight. The premise that there is no way a phone call can be made from a plane is just another stupid assed claim from fry mommy. G'night.
lol
well, all i can say is what i have had as experience
my Nokia E71x wouldnt work on the last flight i took
was very disappointed too
all i can give thanks for it the plane had direct tv to watch, so i wasnt bored on that long cross country flight
lol

Why keep lying you shitbag? Oh thass right.....you guys never call each other out when you lie so it's awwlllll good!

This has been covered you fucking dumbass.....cell phones are transmitters....it doesn't matter if you could actually talk on your phone.....it would still send transmissions that would try to link with a tower. That is why many phones have the "Airplane Mode" feature. When you turn that on it stops emitting the signal thus allowing you to use non-data linked programs so you would not have to turn your cell phone off.

Your comment about the xponders being turned off was the equivalent of you saying:

You are one STOOPID mother fucker!

"If the "Advanced" option is not available, this indicates
the device is or was recently in "Flight" Mode. Please
deactivate "Flight" mode..."
Http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB101470

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"
Nokia E71x detailed information (Phone Arena)

Gee gomer.....do you think it's possible "Flight mode" is the same thing as "Airplane mode?"

YOU ARE SUCH A FUCKING RETARD!!

lol
all i can give thanks for it the plane had direct tv to watch, so i wasnt bored on that long cross country flight
lol

I remembered the SUV I rented to drive back East for the Holidays had that XM Radio. I was so impressed that I had it put in my car. Anyway, one of the mornings I was listening to CSPAN radio just to see what it was about. They had a panelist on there and were taking calls. Of course one of the twoofers called up and I loved how the panel just treated him like he had a mental illness which, obviously, they all do.

Anyway the guy comes on and of course whines about not being taken seriously. One of the panelist--in a way that was more tactful than I would have prescribed--suggested that perhaps he should re-evaluate his position to at least be one of causing only polite laughter rather than belly chuckles. The host moved on quickly but it was fun to hear the total rejection of these losers by CSPAN.

lol
lol

I remembered the SUV I rented to drive back East for the Holidays had that XM Radio. I was so impressed that I had it put in my car. Anyway, one of the mornings I was listening to CSPAN radio just to see what it was about. They had a panelist on there and were taking calls. Of course one of the twoofers called up and I loved how the panel just treated him like he had a mental illness which, obviously, they all do.

Anyway the guy comes on and of course whines about not being taken seriously. One of the panelist--in a way that was more tactful than I would have prescribed--suggested that perhaps he should re-evaluate his position to at least be one of causing only polite laughter rather than belly chuckles. The host moved on quickly but it was fun to hear the total rejection of these losers by CSPAN.

It's really sad when you have to try to make yourself feel better by broadbrushing ignorant statements.

Http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-center/main.jsp?t=solutionTab&solutionId=KB101470

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"

Gee gomer.....do you think it's possible "Flight mode" is the same thing as "Airplane mode?"

it wasnt listed in my options, dipshit

hey dipshit
that is not what you claimed, its OFFLINE
it wasnt what you said

Last edited:

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

Sort of lets you know how valuable her time is when she can read the owners manual--not to her phone but to YOUR phone. I guess the lunch rush is over?

Airplane mode was invented so you could use your phone's tools while flying but you couldn't make phone calls from it while flying. :)

Most airlines these days won't even let you use your cell phone in airplane mode.

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

Sort of lets you know how valuable her time is when she can read the owners manual--not to her phone but to YOUR phone. I guess the lunch rush is over?
no shit
LOL
when i flew, i just shut it off, like the attendants ASKED everyone to, during takeoff and landing

Airplane mode was invented so you could use your phone's tools while flying but you couldn't make phone calls from it while flying. :)

Most airlines these days won't even let you use your cell phone in airplane mode.
they do except for takeoff and landing

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

You're too fucking stoopid to know your own phone but you try to debate 9E? What a fucking dumbass!

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

I didn't read the manual you dumb ****. It was worth the 30 second google search to reveal (yet again) how pathetically stoopid you shitwads are.

"Phone profiles
Yes
Number
Flight mode
Silent mode
Speakers
Speaker Phone"

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

You're too fucking stoopid to know your own phone but you try to debate 9E? What a fucking dumbass!
shithead, i siad my phone doesnt have a "flight" mode, and it doesnt
dumbfuck

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

I didn't read the manual you dumb ****. It was worth the 30 second google search to reveal (yet again) how pathetically stoopid you shitwads are.
and it proved YOU wrong shithead

hey dipshit
it wasnt what you said

dumbfuck

That isn't what you said you dumb fuck. You said said it doesn't have the "airplane mode" I referenced so I posted the links proving it does have that airplane mode you stoopid useless ****. Seriously, you guys just keep proving over and over and over how unbelievably fucking dumb you are.

dumbfuck

That isn't what you said you dumb fuck. You said said it doesn't have the "airplane mode" I referenced so I posted the links proving it does have that airplane mode you stoopid useless ****. Seriously, you guys just keep proving over and over and over how unbelievably fucking dumb you are.
it doesnt have an "airplane" mode either dipshit
it has an "offline" mode
you proved that yourself, numbnutz

Forum List

Back