We Were Right to Drop the Bomb

Should We Have Dropped the Atomic Bomb on Japan in 1945

• Yes

Votes: 36 83.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters
A little know fact...well to most Americans that is...

Largest Bombing Raid in History was Perpetrated against Japan AFTER the Atomic Bombings
Posted on August 6, 2015 by Robert Barsocchini
The largest bombing campaign in history, at that point, was perpetrated by the US against Japan after the atomic bombings of civilians on August 6th and 9th, 1945.

Several days later,

In the largest bombing raid of the Pacific War, more than 400 B-29s attacked Japan during daylight on August 14, and more than 300 that night.[103] A total of 1,014 aircraft were used with no losses.

At 2:49 AM on August 14, the US had intercepted a message from Japanese leadership to Japanese foreign embassies, instructing them “to accept the Allied terms of surrender.”

Writer Laurence M. Vance points out that “many timelines of World War II do not even list this event [the post-nuke bombing raids against Japan] as having occurred.”

How does anyone approve of or defend this?

War is hell.
No. Murdering innocent civilians is hell.

It wasn't murder, it was war, and both sides did Strategic bombing if they had the aircraft to do it.
No doubt about this, if the Germans or Japanese did to us what we did to them, you would think differently. Try to overcome your statist brainwashing.

The massive aerial bombing of civilians by the American military in WWII, was a war crime. Histories greatest war crime was the A bombings.

Curis Lemay expressed the correct opinion about who would have been on trial for what if the tables had been turned.

Largest Bombing Raid in History was Perpetrated against Japan AFTER the Atomic Bombings
The largest bombing campaign in history, at that point, was perpetrated by the US against Japan after the atomic bombings of civilians on August 6th and 9th, 1945.

Several days later,

In the largest bombing raid of the Pacific War, more than 400 B-29s attacked Japan during daylight on August 14, and more than 300 that night.[103] A total of 1,014 aircraft were used with no losses.

At 2:49 AM on August 14, the US had intercepted a message from Japanese leadership to Japanese foreign embassies, instructing them “to accept the Allied terms of surrender.”

Writer Laurence M. Vance points out that “many timelines of World War II do not even list this event [the post-nuke bombing raids against Japan] as having occurred.”

War is hell.

It wasn't murder, it was war, and both sides did Strategic bombing if they had the aircraft to do it.
No doubt about this, if the Germans or Japanese did to us what we did to them, you would think differently. Try to overcome your statist brainwashing.

The massive aerial bombing of civilians by the American military in WWII, was a war crime. Histories greatest war crime was the A bombings.

It is truly tragic that the 'Allies' stooped to the level of their enemies.

Several days later,

War is hell.

Fuck off with your whole "statist brainwashing" bullshit.
WWII saw strategic bombing on both sides, and was seen as within the rules of war, total war, where production is a legitimate target.

Several days later,

War is hell.

WWII saw strategic bombing on both sides, and was seen as within the rules of war, total war, where production is a legitimate target.
You can try to justify the mass murder of civilians all you like, but you will fail. There is no justification for it.

Again...if the Japanese and Germans did to us what we did to them, what would your opinion be? Would you merely state 'war is hell?' Would you justify it by stating 'its total war.'

Be honest now.

Nuclear war is like suicide; a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

That the US and the USSR were ready to burn down the earth over a difference in economics was indeed mad, not to mention genocidal.

When people who have no qualms about using nukes get decision making power over them, things will turn grim indeed.

The USSR was an expansionistic Totalitarian State. Building nukes to balance out their conventional military advantage in numbers made complete sense in the 50 and 60s.

IT was not "mad", nor "genocidial".

That the USSR was able to counter that deterrence with a nuclear force their own was unfortunate.

Their decision to build nukes was not "mad". THey wanted to expand, and they could not while the US had a nuclear advantage, so that had to be matched.

It might have been "Genocidal" in that if they ever reached a point where they thought they could win, and they pushed the button, genocide would occur.

But genocide was never a problem for the soviets.

War is hell.

You can try to justify the mass murder of civilians all you like, but you will fail. There is no justification for it.

Again...if the Japanese and Germans did to us what we did to them, what would your opinion be? Would you merely state 'war is hell?' Would you justify it by stating 'its total war.'

Be honest now.

The fact that the Japanese and Germans lacked the ability to reach our shores to do strategic bombing makes your point moot. But we can use the British as a reference, and they did not go after Germans for war crimes for strategic bombing at all, even for "The Blitz" which was purely targeted at population centers.

And to answer your question, if the US had the snot pounded out if it like Japan and Germany did, I would probably react how those people did, give up and try to rebuild under occupation.

The Japanese had their own issues on a more personal level with playing naughty when it came to war, again war is hell, but the more brutal it is, the quicker it can end, not like the slow bleed we see in modern conflict.

Reproduction was the target, killing women and children because they lived in a foreign country under an enemy regime they had virtually nothing to do with.

It was a morally indefensible act.

I tend to agree. It saved hundreds of thousands of lives, including many Americans.

The headline of this column is lifted from a 1981 essay by the late Paul Fussell, the cultural critic and war memoirist. In 1945 Fussell was a 21-year-old second lieutenant in the U.S. Army who had fought his way through Europe only to learn that he would soon be shipped to the Pacific to take part in Operation Downfall, the invasion of the Japanese home islands scheduled to begin in November 1945.

Then the atom bomb intervened. Japan would not surrender after Hiroshima, but it did after Nagasaki.

I brought Fussell’s essay with me on my flight to Hiroshima and was stopped by this: “When we learned to our astonishment that we would not be obliged in a few months to rush up the beaches near Tokyo assault-firing while being machine-gunned, mortared, and shelled, for all the practiced phlegm of our tough facades we broke down and cried with relief and joy. We were going to live.”

In all the cant that will pour forth this week to mark the 70th anniversary of the dropping of the bombs—that the U.S. owes the victims of the bombings an apology; that nuclear weapons ought to be abolished; that Hiroshima is a monument to man’s inhumanity to man; that Japan could have been defeated in a slightly nicer way—I doubt much will be made of Fussell’s fundamental point: Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren’t just terrible war-ending events. They were also lifesaving. The bomb turned the empire of the sun into a nation of peace activists.​

Thank God for the Atom Bomb - WSJ

What are your thoughts?
YES ... definitely YES .......... and, we should've done the same in the Viet Nam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Many of our soldiers would be alive today. We would've save multi-$Billions, and ended the wars in days instead of years.

No definitely not drop it in other places.
The US is by far and away the biggest threat to world security right now, if it got used to dropping a-bombs on everyone then it'd be worthy of invasion itself.

I tend to agree. It saved hundreds of thousands of lives, including many Americans.

The headline of this column is lifted from a 1981 essay by the late Paul Fussell, the cultural critic and war memoirist. In 1945 Fussell was a 21-year-old second lieutenant in the U.S. Army who had fought his way through Europe only to learn that he would soon be shipped to the Pacific to take part in Operation Downfall, the invasion of the Japanese home islands scheduled to begin in November 1945.

Then the atom bomb intervened. Japan would not surrender after Hiroshima, but it did after Nagasaki.

I brought Fussell’s essay with me on my flight to Hiroshima and was stopped by this: “When we learned to our astonishment that we would not be obliged in a few months to rush up the beaches near Tokyo assault-firing while being machine-gunned, mortared, and shelled, for all the practiced phlegm of our tough facades we broke down and cried with relief and joy. We were going to live.”

In all the cant that will pour forth this week to mark the 70th anniversary of the dropping of the bombs—that the U.S. owes the victims of the bombings an apology; that nuclear weapons ought to be abolished; that Hiroshima is a monument to man’s inhumanity to man; that Japan could have been defeated in a slightly nicer way—I doubt much will be made of Fussell’s fundamental point: Hiroshima and Nagasaki weren’t just terrible war-ending events. They were also lifesaving. The bomb turned the empire of the sun into a nation of peace activists.​

What are your thoughts?
YES ... definitely YES .......... and, we should've done the same in the Viet Nam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Many of our soldiers would be alive today. We would've save multi-$Billions, and ended the wars in days instead of years.

The US is by far and away the biggest threat to world security right now, if it got used to dropping a-bombs on everyone then it'd be worthy of invasion itself.

How hard was it for you to reach the conclusion that the US is the biggest threat to world security?

What are your thoughts?

How hard was it for you to reach the conclusion that the US is the biggest threat to world security?

Not very hard at all. All you need to do is open your eyes.

What are your thoughts?

I meant personally.

Did you have to overcome a patriotic bias and fight though to that conclusion, or did it just flow naturally and easily for you?

What are your thoughts?

I meant personally.

Did you have to overcome a patriotic bias and fight though to that conclusion, or did it just flow naturally and easily for you?

As I said, it comes from having my eyes open.

Patriotic bias?????

I meant personally.

Patriotic bias?????

It was a simple question. DId you feel any resistance inside, to your conclusion, or was it easy for you to reach it?

"Having your eyes open" is just you saying that you are sure you are more objective than me.

It is nice that you have a good self image.

That is all that means.

I meant personally.

Patriotic bias?????

It was a simple question. DId you feel any resistance inside, to your conclusion, or was it easy for you to reach it?

"Having your eyes open" is just you saying that you are sure you are more objective than me.

That is all that means.

It's a simple question that I've answered twice. I'm sorry you don't like my answer. I couldn't give a damn whether you like it or not. Get over it.

I meant personally.

Patriotic bias?????

That is all that means.

It's a simple question that I've answered twice. I'm sorry you don't like my answer. I couldn't give a damn whether you like it or not. Get over it.

See, it sounds like you are saying "no".

BUt then if I build on that, then you libs flip out and accuse me of putting words in your mouth.

Are you an American and do you have any sense of Patriotism?

Forum List

Back