Welfare applicants decline to take drug test, fueling debate over new law

Society has every right to demand limits be set when they are footing the bill. The moochers should be thankful.

This is ASSUMING, of course, that the MOOCHERS are not already serving some purpose toward society. What of community service and volunteers? What of the farming facts? What of the many young and beautiful girls that come from such grounded bases? :evil:

Society has every right to demand limits be set when they are footing the bill. The moochers should be thankful.
NO they don't have the right to invade another's right to privacy, just "because", imho. And as it has shown much more than a majority, actually much much more than a majority of these people are law abiding citizens and YOU have no right to treat them or presume that they are, like scum of the earth, drug addicts. Mind your own business. If you want to get rid of welfare, then shoot to do that....but to have the gvt invade their privacy just because you don't like them or the welfare they receive is simply wrong and a very very very slippery slope.

Drug testing was initially allowed by employers for jobs of responsibility and or dangerous jobs....I was against it then because I KNEW IT WOULD LEAD to this kind of crap...I suppose as long as it is not you personally, you are okay with it.... well, I am not....it gives power to the government that is not in our constitution imo.

No one is invading their privacy. They dont have to sign up for the assistance if they dont want to test. Just as if you dont have to test if you dont want the job. It is a personal choice to take the check...just as it is a personal choice to take a job. You know going in what the requirements will be. Take it or leave it.
YOU know that's just bulloney syrenn....they have no choice in this...they wouldn't be applying for it if they made enough to support themselves and their children....so you are forcing them to submit to their gvt for something that is NONE of their gvt's business.....it's none of the gvt's business, PERIOD. and as shown, many times over, the majority of these people are NOT taking drugs....and probably never have taken drugs and probably never will take drugs....yet YOU seem to want to treat them like they are guilty....

it's simply wrong.

shoot to get rid of welfare if you don't like giving it out....that's how I view it.

I don't think welfare is a constitutionally guaranteed right so the state has the ability to hold recipients to whatever criteria they please.

Well, seeing as nobody has said anything about welfare being a constitutional right, would you like to move along to the constitutional protects of searches without reasonable cause?

The searches are voluntary.

People consent to the search as part of the process of applying for government hand outs.

No one is being forced against their will to apply for a hand out.

Most jobs have mandatory drug testing to get the job and then random drug testing during the year

False.

As an overall percentage, very few companies do pre-employment drug tests. And of those, even fewer do random drug tests.

[I don't have a problem with it as it's voluntary. You voluntarily apply for government hand outs not one person has ever been forced to take government aid.

If you want tax payer money then take the drug test. Your choice 100%

Same thing could be said about reporting crime to the police. Do you have no problem with police requiring drug tests for you to report a crime?

Not the same thing at all.

You really don't believe the cops and a welfare office perform the same function do you?

why not? if one person making 80 grand gets to pay less taxes than another person making 80 grand because of some tax credit or write off then the one person without the write off is paying more of their pay in taxes than you are, therefore, they should have the right to demand from you, a drug test.....that's basically what you are saying about the welfare crowd...

slippery slippery slope.

NO they don't have the right to invade another's right to privacy, just "because", imho. And as it has shown much more than a majority, actually much much more than a majority of these people are law abiding citizens and YOU have no right to treat them or presume that they are, like scum of the earth, drug addicts. Mind your own business. If you want to get rid of welfare, then shoot to do that....but to have the gvt invade their privacy just because you don't like them or the welfare they receive is simply wrong and a very very very slippery slope.

Drug testing was initially allowed by employers for jobs of responsibility and or dangerous jobs....I was against it then because I KNEW IT WOULD LEAD to this kind of crap...I suppose as long as it is not you personally, you are okay with it.... well, I am not....it gives power to the government that is not in our constitution imo.

No one is invading their privacy. They dont have to sign up for the assistance if they dont want to test. Just as if you dont have to test if you dont want the job. It is a personal choice to take the check...just as it is a personal choice to take a job. You know going in what the requirements will be. Take it or leave it.
YOU know that's just bulloney syrenn....they have no choice in this...they wouldn't be applying for it if they made enough to support themselves and their children....so you are forcing them to submit to their gvt for something that is NONE of their gvt's business.....it's none of the gvt's business, PERIOD. and as shown, many times over, the majority of these people are NOT taking drugs....and probably never have taken drugs and probably never will take drugs....yet YOU seem to want to treat them like they are guilty....

it's simply wrong.

shoot to get rid of welfare if you don't like giving it out....that's how I view it.

No, i dont think so Care. It is still voluntary.... yes, they have a choice. The don't have to apply for the assistance. No one is forcing them to take the assistance.

I am not in any way saying that any of the people are on drugs. If they have nothing to hide...they also have nothing to worry about. It will however, winnow out the ones who ARE on drugs and do NOT deserve government money to help them continue on drugs.

Getting rid of welfare is not a good idea. Getting rid of the ones who don't deserve it or are abusing the system is a good idea.

Shouldn't recipients of corporate welfare be drug tested as well? Certainly no one could argue against those CEOs being tested.

The searches are voluntary.

People consent to the search as part of the process of applying for government hand outs.

No one is being forced against their will to apply for a hand out.

And as we've already addressed, that's as good as saying that the police have a right to require you to take a drug test before you can report a crime. Nobody is forcing you to report the crime.

No one wants to address who the welfare benefits?

Drug users are bad but a drug users kid has nothing to do with it.

Then the kids can be removed from the drug addicts care as they should be anyway.
who's gonna fund that? and shouldn't that be up to a social worker whether a child gets removed from the family?

the point is that you want to treat many many many many innocent, drug free people as if they were criminals, just because some of your taxes, very very very very little of those taxes btw, goes towards welfare for them.

that's bull crud from the get go.

Not the same thing at all.

You really don't believe the cops and a welfare office perform the same function do you?

Logically, it is the EXACT same thing. The same rationale is being used. Police are providing government services. The Social Services office is provided government services. The underlying element to all of this, which you simply don't want to admit, is that the "voluntary" nature of using government services does not alleviate the government of constitutional protections when it requires services be predicated on a search.

False.

As an overall percentage, very few companies do pre-employment drug tests. And of those, even fewer do random drug tests.

You just make shit up, doncha?

{Drug testing, legally required for many public employers, has become widespread in the private sector over the past two decades. A 2006 survey by the Society for Human Resource Management found that 84 percent of employers required new hires to pass drug screenings, and 39 percent randomly tested employees after they were hired. In addition, 73 percent tested workers when drug use was suspected and 58 percent required testing after accidents on the job.}

Job Applicant? Expect a Drug Test | TheLedger.com

it's simply wrong.

No, i dont think so Care. It is still voluntary.... yes, they have a choice. The don't have to apply for the assistance. No one is forcing them to take the assistance.

I am not in any way saying that any of the people are on drugs. If they have nothing to hide...they also have nothing to worry about. It will however, winnow out the ones who ARE on drugs and do NOT deserve government money to help them continue on drugs.

Getting rid of welfare is not a good idea. Getting rid of the ones who don't deserve it or are abusing the system is a good idea.
they have to take the assistance or starve or let their children starve...they wouldn't be there if they had the means to support themselves...it has a cap of 2 years only.

and yes, there may be SOME, or a FEW that are not in that kind of bind and are trying to game the system....but they will be there whether you drug test the innocent or you don't.

if you choose to drug test this one small group just because they are getting a drip of your taxes paid, then you will need to drug test every single soul that receives gvt subsidies, gvt bailouts, gvt EICredits, gvt child tax credits, gvt grants for college....etc etc etc etc etc....all of those things above can then be drug tested based on this precedence and that will never happen, or you hope that will never happen....more of our taxes will be going towards drug testing than the subsidies or assistance itself....it is ridiculous! And wasteful. I don't want my tax dollars going towards drug tests on the innocent....nor should you, again, imho.

It sound's like some people presume that if you apply for public assistance for your family you are a "mooch, criminal, drug user"....etc etc etc.

Some of you want to punish the poor for being poor. What else is new?

they have to take the assistance or starve or let their children starve...

Or they could, you know, like not use their money to buy drugs.....

they wouldn't be there if they had the means to support themselves...it has a cap of 2 years only.

Before being transferred to SSI for a substantial raise.

and yes, there may be SOME, or a FEW that are not in that kind of bind and are trying to game the system....but they will be there whether you drug test the innocent or you don't.

if you choose to drug test this one small group just because they are getting a drip of your taxes paid, then you will need to drug test every single soul that receives gvt subsidies, gvt bailouts, gvt EICredits, gvt child tax credits, gvt grants for college....etc etc etc etc etc....all of those things above can then be drug tested based on this precedence and that will never happen, or you hope that will never happen....more of our taxes will be going towards drug testing than the subsidies or assistance itself....it is ridiculous! And wasteful. I don't want my tax dollars going towards drug tests on the innocent....nor should you, again, imho.

Your alleged logic is beyond faulty.

I work for in a small, poor, rural county where joblessness is at 22%. Without UI, food stamps and cash aid a lot of children would starve. We have drug problems in our community too. Meth labs out in the hinterland of the county, and we have a medical marijuana initiative that allows anyone with a 215 card to grow six plants.

Last edited:

it's simply wrong.

they have to take the assistance or starve or let their children starve...they wouldn't be there if they had the means to support themselves...it has a cap of 2 years only.

And for all of that Care... Welfare is still voluntary, it is a choice to apply for the assistance. They are not forced.

If they refuse to test they dont get a check. The rules are clearly stated before they apply. Just as with any job, you want a job that requires a drug test, you take the drug test....or you dont get the job. If you dont want to test ....don't apply. Personal choice.

Forum List

Back