Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Tonight's dinner: beets as a side dish. Main dish is Punjabi Chole, a ready made chickpea and sauce meal that you heat up, from the Indian market: quite spicy. With brown Basmati rice.

Last edited:
Tonight's dinner: beets as a side dish. Main dish is Punjabi Chole, a ready made chickpea and sauce meal that you heat up, from the Indian market: quite spicy. With brown Basmati rice.

Dang, I do not like quite spicy.

This matters to you, I know, because chances were excellent I would have joined you for dinner otherwise.

:eusa_hand:

Fall is in the air. Despite the high temps I'm craving cabbage rolls and perogies.

Weird how that happens. It's like a thing where your body goes....okey dokey feed me these things now or else.

Last night was shumai, but the night before I made a kick-ass meatloaf if I do say so myself.

I cannot get meatloaf down. I don't know if it's the recipes I'm trying. The pans including pyrex.

I can't make a good meatloaf. It's frustrating big time.

green beans, taters and squash.

What type of squash? Now my window of opportunity to grow things up here is 90 days max and then I have to cover everything to get a harvest.

This year though I did gold rush and my husband is crazy wild over this summer squash. Bobby Flay's marinades and he is out there on the bbq.

So . . . I have a problem I'm hoping all you message-board gourmets and gourmands can help me with.

I have a new friend/boyfriend I'm spending a lot of time around, which naturally includes cooking dinner on occasion. Problem is, he's deathly allergic to onions and all manner of peppers: jalapeno, bell, Anaheim, everything in that family. When I say "deathly", I'm not kidding. Apparently, the reaction of his stomach to the acids in these foods actually makes his internal organs start to dissolve. Bleh. I made macaroni casserole the other night, being very careful to keep his separate from the rest of the family's, and he started throwing up the next morning and had to go to the hospital. I thought I'd poisoned him. (Luckily, it was a stomach virus, and had nothing to do with me. But I don't need that sort of scare.)

So seriously: how does one cook without onions and peppers? Whaddaya do to substitute? What are some good suggestions for dishes I can make that either don't require these things, or can be made without them?

So . . . I have a problem I'm hoping all you message-board gourmets and gourmands can help me with.

I have a new friend/boyfriend I'm spending a lot of time around, which naturally includes cooking dinner on occasion. Problem is, he's deathly allergic to onions and all manner of peppers: jalapeno, bell, Anaheim, everything in that family. When I say "deathly", I'm not kidding. Apparently, the reaction of his stomach to the acids in these foods actually makes his internal organs start to dissolve. Bleh. I made macaroni casserole the other night, being very careful to keep his separate from the rest of the family's, and he started throwing up the next morning and had to go to the hospital. I thought I'd poisoned him. (Luckily, it was a stomach virus, and had nothing to do with me. But I don't need that sort of scare.)

So seriously: how does one cook without onions and peppers? Whaddaya do to substitute? What are some good suggestions for dishes I can make that either don't require these things, or can be made without them?

How is he with garlic?

Chili rubbed tilapia, green peas, rosemary roasted red potato's.

the mrs hates onions so they are a rarity in this home

we use pepper very little as well

we just cook with out them

she has some spices that she adds from time to time

if i want something spicy or hot i add it to my serving(s)

the best thing to do is ask him what foods he is comfortable with

Mrs. H. does not like to cook. She said as much.

Yet, she cooks. Bad cooks.

At least there is something on the table every evening.

I, on he other hand, like to cook.

Good cooks.

Who wins this?

Get married and stay tuned...

You could do a pot roast without onions with mashed potatoes, green beans, corn on the cob etc or maybe fried chicken if hes ok with that, my ex girlfriend hated onions so she just cooked without them.

Forum List

Back