Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

I Plan To Do My First Pot Roast This Weekend
I Already Have Everything I Need On Hand

I Was Thinking About My Wife's Slo-Cooker
But I Have A Three-Legged Cast Iron Dutch Oven
I've Cooked Two Whole Chickens w/All The Fixings
In 35min Flat In That Thing
Using 22 Briquettes That Burned Just Over 3/4 Away
Plus It Made It's Own Gravy
It's A Marvelous Piece Of Technology

I'll Go For Slower On The Roast Tho
Adding Charcoal As I Go Over Time

Do You Know You Can Bury The Dutch Oven
Luau Style In The Ground ??
I Don't Think I'll Go Bonkers On It This Time
But I Think The Dutch Oven Camp Style
Will Be Interesting To My Gran-Daughter While She's Over

She's A Rabid Cannibal
So I Know She'll Love The Meat

Low and slow...the only secret to a good pot roast is to cook it long enough that it falls apart. If you can't take it apart with yoiur fingers then it's not done.
Don't forget the holy trinity, or what haute chefs call 'mirepoix'. Onions, carrots and celery.

koshergrl said:
Low and slow...the only secret to a good pot roast is to cook it long enough that it falls apart. If you can't take it apart with yoiur fingers then it's not done.
I Found That Out

It Was Supposed To Be A 3hr+ Cook
But The Briquettes Burned Themselves Out Early
I Was Going To Finish It Off In The Oven
But Decided To Call It A Learning Experience
Everything Tasted Fine
But The Vegetables Were Even A Little Too Firm

I Only Used Half The Roast For This Reason
So I'll Try Again In A Few

The Formula For Dutch Ovens Is:
Diameter + 3 Briquettes For The Lid
Dia. - 3 Underneath For 300 -350 Degrees

My Briquettes Were All Ashed Out
After Only 2+ Some Hours
And I Let The Meal Sit In The Hot Oven For Another 1/2hr
The Meat Was 143 Degrees
The Potatoes Were Way More Firm Than I Prefer

I'll Clearly Have To Fire Some More Briquettes
About Half-Way Through
But This Was Good Experience
And I'll Get To Try Again Soon

Add briquettes as you go if you're doing it that way. Briquettes on one side, a pan with water on the other, the roast above.
I have never known anybody to do potroast in the bbq but you need to keep it going for a good long time. Two hours isn't enough, it will be tough. And if you don't cook it long enough, there is no juice and you haven't added water, the veggies will be tough too.

koshergrl said:
I have never known anybody to do potroast in the bbq
No

I Used A Lodge 12" Dutch Oven
This:

10-5-700x300.jpg

Last night I had Reese's Peanut Butter cups for dinner. It was a long day packing up my folks' house, so all I wanted was a treat.

Tonight I'm going to cook proper food - baked chicken, potatoes, and broccoli.

Last night I had Reese's Peanut Butter cups for dinner. It was a long day packing up my folks' house, so all I wanted was a treat.

I Thought You Were About To Say "Frozen Pizza" :laugh:

I Thought You Were About To Say "Frozen Pizza" :laugh:

Frozen pizza is barely food, let along proper food.

Just sayin'.

I made twice baked potatoes for the kids last week. they are so freaking good.

Potatoes are just something special, yannow...

Indeed. My Irish bits are craving potatoes - so time for some good comfort food.

Indeed. My Irish bits are craving potatoes - so time for some good comfort food.
I wanted potatoes last night, but I didn't want to cook or peel or do anything. So I actually put them in the microwave (I never do that because the chance of ruining them is about 50/50). They turned out great! I ate them with all the things..salt,pepper,butter, parmesan cheese! and sour cream.

I wanted potatoes last night, but I didn't want to cook or peel or do anything. So I actually put them in the microwave (I never do that because the chance of ruining them is about 50/50). They turned out great! I ate them with all the things..salt,pepper,butter, parmesan cheese! and sour cream.

Oooooh...I love the triple threat of dairy products!

Oooooh...I love the triple threat of dairy products!
I've been overdoing it a bit hahahaha

Here is a crappy pic of what was a culinary delight. I kind of scooped it out but I could have done pie shaped pieces. It's about 2 inches thick. The perspective and scale is funky but see how pretty the spinach is...
IMG_20190320_202322.jpg

I Plan To Do My First Pot Roast This Weekend
I Already Have Everything I Need On Hand

I Was Thinking About My Wife's Slo-Cooker
But I Have A Three-Legged Cast Iron Dutch Oven
I've Cooked Two Whole Chickens w/All The Fixings
In 35min Flat In That Thing
Using 22 Briquettes That Burned Just Over 3/4 Away
Plus It Made It's Own Gravy
It's A Marvelous Piece Of Technology

I'll Go For Slower On The Roast Tho
Adding Charcoal As I Go Over Time

Do You Know You Can Bury The Dutch Oven
Luau Style In The Ground ??
I Don't Think I'll Go Bonkers On It This Time
But I Think The Dutch Oven Camp Style
Will Be Interesting To My Gran-Daughter While She's Over

She's A Rabid Cannibal
So I Know She'll Love The Meat

Don't forget the holy trinity, or what haute chefs call 'mirepoix'. Onions, carrots and celery.

I wish. My husband won't allow celery in the house. :(

koshergrl said:
I Found That Out

It Was Supposed To Be A 3hr+ Cook
But The Briquettes Burned Themselves Out Early
I Was Going To Finish It Off In The Oven
But Decided To Call It A Learning Experience
Everything Tasted Fine
But The Vegetables Were Even A Little Too Firm

I Only Used Half The Roast For This Reason
So I'll Try Again In A Few

The Formula For Dutch Ovens Is:
Diameter + 3 Briquettes For The Lid
Dia. - 3 Underneath For 300 -350 Degrees

My Briquettes Were All Ashed Out
After Only 2+ Some Hours
And I Let The Meal Sit In The Hot Oven For Another 1/2hr
The Meat Was 143 Degrees
The Potatoes Were Way More Firm Than I Prefer

I'll Clearly Have To Fire Some More Briquettes
About Half-Way Through
But This Was Good Experience
And I'll Get To Try Again Soon

You have to keep adding briquettes throughout the cook time, and the meat shouldn't be directly over the heat...I put a pan with a little water under the side of the bbq with the meat, and then keep the briquettes on the other side.

Last night we had roast chicken, stuffing with pecans, and broccoli.

I brined the chicken for about 20 minutes, any amount of brining is better than none.

Ugh. I am on a two-week high-antioxidant diet to bring my stomach closer to its post-surgery size. Green tea, salmon and tuna fish, and all the spinach I care to eat. *sigh*

Ugh. I am on a two-week high-antioxidant diet to bring my stomach closer to its post-surgery size. Green tea, salmon and tuna fish, and all the spinach I care to eat. *sigh*

I have been eating sooooo bad.
And my mom and sister were here to visit, and we always gorge on deliciousness when we get together....
But they left this am. So now I can eat more salad :D :D :D Tonight I'm putting my jammies on before supper, I'm going to lay in my bed and eat supper and watch starz in the dark. I gave up my bed for my sister because it's the best bed in the house, and she had back surgery not too long ago. I've spent the last several nights either on the saggy daybed in the spare room, or on our horrible and also saggy couch.

I have been eating sooooo bad.
And my mom and sister were here to visit, and we always gorge on deliciousness when we get together....
But they left this am. So now I can eat more salad :D :D :D Tonight I'm putting my jammies on before supper, I'm going to lay in my bed and eat supper and watch starz in the dark. I gave up my bed for my sister because it's the best bed in the house, and she had back surgery not too long ago. I've spent the last several nights either on the saggy daybed in the spare room, or on our horrible and also saggy couch.

Fortunately, I like foods that are high in antioxidants. The real problem is that it can be tricky to manage my blood sugar on low carbs.

Forum List

Back