Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

My Wife Finally Brought Home 2 Giant Salmon Filets
I'm Going To Treat Them Lightly With A Sprinkle Of Salt
Then Load 'Em Up With Crystallizing Honey We Have
In Lieu Of Brown Sugar
I've Recently Heard,
If You See Those White Bulbs On The Flesh
You're Over Cooking Them
So I'll Watch Them Closer On The Grill

Match That With Some Left-Over Frozen Vegetables
And Maybe Some Oven Fries

My Fries
I Soak In A Bowl Of Water For An Hour Or So
Leaches Out Some Of The Starch
Then I Oil Them & Microwave On High For 5min
I Season Them Before Before Micro-Waving
Then Into A 425 Degree Oven
Start Watching Them Around 20min

I Grew Up In A House Where Everything Baked At 350
But Myself, I Almost Never Go Less Than 400 Anymore

I Destroyed My Copper Ceramic Pan
First, I Seasoned On A Couple Spots Of Vegetable Oil
If The Oil Smokes, As In Smokes
You'll Season On Some Coating Like On Cast Iron
Then I Used A Scotch-Brite To Scrub It Off
Bad News, ^ ^ ^ Don't Do It
The Pan Will Never Be As Slick As New Again

It Might Be Better Not To Go Higher Than Med-High
Over Direct Flame
Manufacturer Says It'll Go As High As 500 In The Oven, Tho...

In Lieu Of Brown Sugar
I've Recently Heard,
You're Over Cooking Them

My Fries

I have learned that there is a time and place for low and slow..in the oven and on the stove top.

I was raised on smoked salmon (we called it Squaw Candy...it was brined, smoked chunks of fresh ocean caught salmon) and it was like candy. It involved an intricate process of brining in a specifc and very sweet brine, then smoking in a smoke house, very low heat.

My mother hated salmon and would fry it...I never liked it much that way, though she did it beautifully.

I've had grilled salmon that was pretty good...

But the way I do it now, I learned at tribal fish feasts (first foods and community salmon feeds). I season the filets with a heavy layer of cracked pepper and salt to taste, topped with a layer of onions, and then sliced lemons over the top of that. I throw in a couple pats of butter just for fun. Wrap it up skin side down in tin foil and put it in the oven at 350-400, how long depends on the thickness of the filet and whether or not you have the skin (skin side down on whole half fish filets). Usually just about 15 minutes and then take it out, you can open it and check to see if the fish is done or close, if it's close wrap it up and take it out, it will complete cooking.

When you eat it you just scrape off all the lemons and onions..you can eat the onion if you like. There is something about the onion and pepper that reduces the fishiness, but doesn't really impart any onion taste. The broth is amazing, don't throw it out. The fish should lift right up off the skin which usually sticks to the tin foil. Pour some of the broth over it when you serve it.

Single guy that can't cook.

I'm having rice and chicken, just like every night. Everything fits in the rice cooker, and it has only one button..... I can handle the one button.

I'm having rice and chicken, just like every night. Everything fits in the rice cooker, and it has only one button..... I can handle the one button.
2nd day turn it into fried rice.

Super easy and super delicious. You still only use one pan, though it is a frying pan.

She uses raw chicken, but you can just cut up cooked chicken and throw it in there at the end to heat.
I only use soy sauce but fried rice is forgiving, you can do whatever.

Last edited:
In Lieu Of Brown Sugar
I've Recently Heard,
You're Over Cooking Them

My Fries

I have learned that there is a time and place for low and slow..in the oven and on the stove top.

I was raised on smoked salmon (we called it Squaw Candy...it was brined, smoked chunks of fresh ocean caught salmon) and it was like candy. It involved an intricate process of brining in a specifc and very sweet brine, then smoking in a smoke house, very low heat.

My mother hated salmon and would fry it...I never liked it much that way, though she did it beautifully.

But the way I do it now, I learned at tribal fish feasts (first foods and community salmon feeds). I season the filets with a heavy layer of cracked pepper and salt to taste, topped with a layer of onions, and then sliced lemons over the top of that. I throw in a couple pats of butter just for fun. Wrap it up skin side down in tin foil and put it in the oven at 350-400, how long depends on the thickness of the filet and whether or not you have the skin (skin side down on whole half fish filets). Usually just about 15 minutes and then take it out, you can open it and check to see if the fish is done or close, if it's close wrap it up and take it out, it will complete cooking.

When you eat it you just scrape off all the lemons and onions..you can eat the onion if you like. There is something about the onion and pepper that reduces the fishiness, but doesn't really impart any onion taste. The broth is amazing, don't throw it out. The fish should lift right up off the skin which usually sticks to the tin foil. Pour some of the broth over it when you serve it.

I like my salmon with chimichurri sauce. I like just about every kind of meat with chimichurri sauce. That stuff is amazing.

koshergrl said:

I Stopped Scaling Or Skinning Fish A Long Time Ago
Bake Or Grill Skin, Scales And All
Everything Peels Right Off The Cooked Fish
No Mess

Although My Wife Tried Deep-Frying Fish That Way Once
The Scales All Stood Straight Up Like Fried Finger Nails
Yum-O...

koshergrl said:

I Stopped Scaling Or Skinning Fish A Long Time Ago
Bake Or Grill Skin, Scales And All
Everything Peels Right Off The Cooked Fish
No Mess

Although My Wife Tried Deep-Frying Fish That Way Once
The Scales All Stood Straight Up Like Fried Finger Nails
Yum-O...
Ewww lolol.

Super easy and super delicious. You still only use one pan, though it is a frying pan.

She uses raw chicken, but you can just cut up cooked chicken and throw it in there at the end to heat.

Women always make me drool......

I tried soy sauce before, and it came out absolutely terrible. I don't know what I'm doing wrong (aside from everything).

I tried soy sauce before, and it came out absolutely terrible. I don't know what I'm doing wrong (aside from everything).

Don't use too much soy sauce, and put it in at the end and just heat through. If you put it in too soon or too much, it burns.

Cook the spices and veggies in oil...I use garlic, ginger (I used powdered most of the time), tumeric, a tiny bit of curry, and a lot of chili powder. You bloom those in oil, then add the veggies..you can see you can use any you like. You need onion, I think...carrot is good if you have it, dice it tiny...celery if you have it, also diced, I don't put in peas but lots of people do. A little chopped cabbage is nice. You saute those until they're soft, set aside.

Scramble a couple of eggs, I don't add a lot of spices to them because I like them to not be gray.
set them aside.

Heat up oil, add the meat and cook until it's heated, or cooked through if it's raw. You can use literally any protein... then add everything including the rice and cook on pretty high heat until the rice is hot then add a little bit of soy sauce (not too much) toss it up.

top it with chopped green onions or whatever you like.

I have made fried rice with nothing but spices, onion, soy and egg..no meat, no extra veggies, and it's delicious too. It's kind of a catch all. You just stick to the process and you're okay. Lots of spices in oil, then add chopped up veggies of your choice and cook those...then scramble an egg, then add the rice, THEN add the soy and not too much.

Use a lot of chili powder. Ginger, curry, all that stuff go light on in terms of amounts...but go crazy with chili powder (or you can use paprika..whatever you have). Like if you use a half tsp of curry and garlic, use 2 tbsp of chili powder. It gives everything a nice flavor and color.

Last edited:

Don't use too much soy sauce, and put it in at the end and just heat through. If you put it in too soon or too much, it burns.

Cook the spices and veggies in oil...I use garlic, ginger (I used powdered most of the time), tumeric, a tiny bit of curry, and a lot of chili powder. You bloom those in oil, then add the veggies..you can see you can use any you like. You need onion, I think...carrot is good if you have it, dice it tiny...celery if you have it, also diced, I don't put in peas but lots of people do. A little chopped cabbage is nice. You saute those until they're soft, set aside.

Scramble a couple of eggs, I don't add a lot of spices to them because I like them to not be gray.
set them aside.

Heat up oil, add the meat and cook until it's heated, or cooked through if it's raw. You can use literally any protein... then add everything including the rice and cook on pretty high heat until the rice is hot then add a little bit of soy sauce (not too much) toss it up.

I have made fried rice with nothing but spices, onion, soy and egg..no meat, no extra veggies, and it's delicious too. It's kind of a catch all. You just stick to the process and you're okay. Lots of spices in oil, then add chopped up veggies of your choice and cook those...then scramble an egg, then add the rice, THEN add the soy and not too much.

Use a lot of chili powder. Ginger, curry, all that stuff go light on in terms of amounts...but go crazy with chili powder (or you can use paprika..whatever you have). Like if you use a half tsp of curry and garlic, use 2 tbsp of chili powder. It gives everything a nice flavor and color.

I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how many fire trucks show up before I finish, and whether I could eat the finished product.

set them aside.

I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how many fire trucks show up before I finish, and whether I could eat the finished product.

Ha you can do it!

It really is hard to mess it up. I think you probably had too much soy too soon on your maiden batch. Go very light on it when you're cooking it. You can add gallons to it when you're eating it.

the chili is important, so is the ginger (not too much) and garlic. The more onions, the better I like it and you can use yellow and spring onions.

I Don't Use Just Plain White Rice Anymore
1/2 Wht, 1/2 Brn, Toss In Wild Rice
And Break Up Some Angel Hair Pasta
Sauted And Simmered, The Flavor Can't Be Beat
That's Actually A Pilaf
But I Use It For My Fried Rice

That's Also My Formula For Spanish Rice
I Just Change The Spicing
I'll Try My Fried Rice With It

Also:
Brown Equals Flavor
Browning Changes The Proteins On The Surface Of Foods
I Find I Use Less Salt If I Brown First
Brown Everything No Matter How You Plan To Prepare It

I have rum baked beans in the oven now. It's my first run through of the recipe. I put in a lot of ingredients to make a pot of white beans but I used water (which was an option). I'm already changing around the recipe and ordered some ham base. Maybe it's too early to tell but what was the point of all of that damn chopping and 2 cups of wine if it's all destroyed by water?

Also choux rouge, chicken what the hell and Creole corn. I really wanted something green but what I saw yesterday was not pretty.

On Saturday we had pulled bbq pork sandwiches with coleslaw and baked beans...Last night we had twice backed potatoes...tonight we had london broil, and cheese ravioli with homemade parmesan cream sauce. Yum. Oh and spinach.

London Broil's Up For Tonite
I'll Find A Decent Marinade
Sear It In A Pan
Then Bring It Up To Med Rare On The Grill

I've Seen Some Interesting Stuff For London Broil
But I Think My Wife
Is Just Going For Basic Meat & Potatoes This Time

I've done marinades which were yummy...but usualliy I just cook it rare and slice it thin. The kids love it, it goes a long way, all around a great piece of meat that I can't believe I just recently learned to appreciate.

I Plan To Do My First Pot Roast This Weekend
I Already Have Everything I Need On Hand

I Was Thinking About My Wife's Slo-Cooker
But I Have A Three-Legged Cast Iron Dutch Oven
I've Cooked Two Whole Chickens w/All The Fixings
In 35min Flat In That Thing
Using 22 Briquettes That Burned Just Over 3/4 Away
Plus It Made It's Own Gravy
It's A Marvelous Piece Of Technology

I'll Go For Slower On The Roast Tho
Adding Charcoal As I Go Over Time

Do You Know You Can Bury The Dutch Oven
Luau Style In The Ground ??
I Don't Think I'll Go Bonkers On It This Time
But I Think The Dutch Oven Camp Style
Will Be Interesting To My Gran-Daughter While She's Over

She's A Rabid Cannibal
So I Know She'll Love The Meat

I Plan To Do My First Pot Roast This Weekend
I Already Have Everything I Need On Hand

I Was Thinking About My Wife's Slo-Cooker
But I Have A Three-Legged Cast Iron Dutch Oven
I've Cooked Two Whole Chickens w/All The Fixings
In 35min Flat In That Thing
Using 22 Briquettes That Burned Just Over 3/4 Away
Plus It Made It's Own Gravy
It's A Marvelous Piece Of Technology

I'll Go For Slower On The Roast Tho
Adding Charcoal As I Go Over Time

Do You Know You Can Bury The Dutch Oven
Luau Style In The Ground ??
I Don't Think I'll Go Bonkers On It This Time
But I Think The Dutch Oven Camp Style
Will Be Interesting To My Gran-Daughter While She's Over

She's A Rabid Cannibal
So I Know She'll Love The Meat

Low and slow...the only secret to a good pot roast is to cook it long enough that it falls apart. If you can't take it apart with yoiur fingers then it's not done.

koshergrl said:
Low and slow...the only secret to a good pot roast is to cook it long enough that it falls apart. If you can't take it apart with yoiur fingers then it's not done.
I Found That Out

It Was Supposed To Be A 3hr+ Cook
But The Briquettes Burned Themselves Out Early
I Was Going To Finish It Off In The Oven
But Decided To Call It A Learning Experience
Everything Tasted Fine
But The Vegetables Were Even A Little Too Firm

I Only Used Half The Roast For This Reason
So I'll Try Again In A Few

The Formula For Dutch Ovens Is:
Diameter + 3 Briquettes For The Lid
Dia. - 3 Underneath For 300 -350 Degrees