Went To Dinner With Retired Irs Agent

I too think the OP's numbers are off but the message is sound and should be heeded. Its not that our "government is broken". Its that the system is more and more skewed against the worker and for the wealthy.

Over 28 THOUSAND posts here on usmessageboard.com, and this is the most honest, truthful, and logical thing ol Luddy has ever said.

But then he ruins it with the rest of his inane drivel.....

http://pleasecutthecrap.com/obama-accomplishments/
Teach your children that its very likely the Republicans.....And teach them that....if the R gets into power, inflation will likely go through the roof....Teach them that...the right is doing everything they can to destroy the middle class....

Don't worry Luddy....the public schools are already teaching this.

By the way, who pays you to post your communist propaganda here??

Please keep your name calling to yourself. If you don't keep it civil, I won't reply.

How does wanting to keep what I earn "communist"?
How is wanting equal pay for equal work "communist"?
How are the public schools teaching that fascist Republicans are stealing from the working class? In fact, it would be good if they did teach the truth about our government.

How is anything else of what I said "communist"? Its silly to keep calling people Communists when in fact, none of us are.

Just like everyone else here, I'm just another working-class American. I work and have worked for everything I have and you have no right to say differently.

And why do you cherry pick instead of addressing all of what I wrote?

If some RWs are unwilling to face facts, we're in deep doo doo.

Her birthing hips bore fruit past the formative years.

Child support? :dunno:

She's now 54. Has a 16 year old. Do the math....
Here's some math for ya, cockswain...

:slap: + :slap: = :slap: :slap:

Can you blame her for wanting an additional deduction?
I'd say the child support is worth much more than the deduction.
I'm not blaming anyone for any thing but I do feel men get the shaft in most divorces.

Even if the father pays child support, its actually the mothers who end up paying far more than half of the cost of raising kids.

Her birthing hips bore fruit past the formative years.

Child support? :dunno:

She's now 54. Has a 16 year old. Do the math....
Here's some math for ya, cockswain...

:slap: + :slap: = :slap: :slap:

Can you blame her for wanting an additional deduction?
I'd say the child support is worth much more than the deduction.
I'm not blaming anyone for any thing but I do feel men get the shaft in most divorces.

Even if the father pays child support, its actually the mothers who end up paying far more than half of the cost of raising kids.
Assuming mom has custody. And of course it depends on the amount of the support as well as mom's lifestyle. Anyhow- this is a depressing topic LOL.

Would the OP like to provide the rest of us with his or her former USMB forum name?

Thanks.

Then.....how about saying that you are sorry for posting this OP.

Finally.....who paid for dinner?

Would the OP like to provide the rest of us with his or her former USMB forum name?

Thanks.

Never had another name, not sorry for anything...and while it is none of your business, I paid for my immediate family, and she paid for her immediate family and there was another "family group" there as well (although all three "families" were distantly related).

You're barking up the wrong tree with whatever you're thinking.

Thanks.

Never had another name, not sorry for anything...and while it is none of your business, I paid for my immediate family, and she paid for her immediate family and there was another "family group" there as well (although all three "families" were distantly related).

You're barking up the wrong tree with whatever you're thinking.

Then you are out of line for discussing Luddy's history here as though you know him well. Like an overly precocious child.

And...you need to be sorry for lying to everyone.

I don't "know" luddy, other than the fact that he is a rabid partisan who would blame republicans for the sky getting dark tonight. He brings nothing to any conversation.

And I never lie. I'm wrong a lot, but I never lie. Of course, you're a real brave guy who would call someone a liar over the internet....

As to whether I was "out of line"...well, you are entitled to your opinion.

I too missed the "career boat".

I will never be able to retire (unless I win the lottery), and I will die penniless.

But by God I'm determined to die happy. :beer:

You will likely live much longer and live happily. When people retire, they tend to die. Retirement is boring.

The unionization of public employees was an anathema even to FDR. The original social contract was modest wages and retirement in return for job security and civil service protections. Now it is an entirely one-sided affair in which the unions are legally allowed to bribe (through campaign contributions) those with whom they are "negotiating." The results are astronomical unfunded pension liabilities and the political power to thwart any meaningful reforms.

Me thinks your friend was pulling your leg, my dear.

AgeFormula
Under Age 62 at Separation for Retirement, OR
Age 62 or Older With Less Than 20 Years of Service
1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
Age 62 or Older at Separation With 20 or More Years of Service1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

if you retire after 20 years, (your friend retired at 28 years) you get for retirement, 1.0% of your income for the 3 highest income years, for every year you worked for them....

so IF I am understanding this correctly, this woman would get as her retirement, around 28% of her highest income earned average as her retirement and NOT 90%?

Here's the link explaining federal retirement:

FERS Information

That's pretty much correct. They also have their TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) with a 5% government match up to a certain point, I don't have my charts in front of me. And FERS get Social Security. Good health plan, too, and good survivor benefits.

28 years, she's probably set up pretty well, lifetime benefits.

Better overall package than most accountants get in the private sector, by a long shot.

Last edited:

AgeFormula
Age 62 or Older at Separation With 20 or More Years of Service1.1 percent of your high-3 average salary for each year of service
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

if you retire after 20 years, (your friend retired at 28 years) you get for retirement, 1.0% of your income for the 3 highest income years, for every year you worked for them....

so IF I am understanding this correctly, this woman would get as her retirement, around 28% of her highest income earned average as her retirement and NOT 90%?

FERS Information

That's pretty much correct. They also have their TSP (Thrift Savings Plan) with a 5% government match up to a certain point, I don't have my charts in front of me. And FERS get Social Security. Good health plan, too, and good survivor benefits.

Better overall package than most accountants get in the private sector, by a long shot.

You would think it would cause people to flock to Federal service

AgeFormula
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FERS Information

I don't know what the openings/applicants ratio is, that would be an interesting comparison.

AgeFormula
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FERS Information

I don't know what the openings/applicants ratio is, that would be an interesting comparison.

We used to BEG for applicants

Most would look at the salary and laugh. Trying to explain how good the retirement package was fell on deaf ears

AgeFormula
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FERS Information

Well, her 401k with the 5% match can not be touched without penalty, until she is a senior, and her social security is not available until she is a senior as well, so what she is living on now is not that much....

And yes, it is very difficult in the private sector now a days, to get a good retirement...mainly due to the way we workers have to improve our current salaries, and this is by moving from one job opportunity to another and not being with the same company for a lifetime..

AgeFormula
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FERS Information

Well, her 401k with the 5% match can not be touched without penalty, until she is a senior, and her social security is not available until she is a senior as well, so what she is living on now is not that much....

And yes, it is very difficult in the private sector now a days, to get a good retirement...mainly due to the way we workers have to improve our current salaries, and this is by moving from one job opportunity to another and not being with the same company for a lifetime..

She'll have access to her TSP at age 59 1/2 and FERS get a social security supplement until age 62. People in the private sector don't have access to social security supplement like that, quite a benefit.

Until age 59 1/2, she'd have to work and compete and produce like everyone else. Then those great benefits kick in.

AgeFormula
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FERS Information

We used to BEG for applicants

Most would look at the salary and laugh. Trying to explain how good the retirement package was fell on deaf ears

Now the quality of the employee is down and the costs have skyrocketed. Try to explain that.

I went to dinner last night with distant relative who I found out is a retired IRS agent.

Worked 28 years as an accountant for the IRS.

Retired at age 52 with 90% of her pre-retirement pay. Keeps her health insurance which costs her $100/month.

I don't know exactly how much in actual dollars that is, but she lives very well. Her only other source of income is child support for her one child.

During the dinner conversation she said why she chose being an accountant, specifically a government accountant, over being a nurse (which she wanted to become in high school)...she said she didn't like working nights or weekends or holidays, and the "stress of life-or-death" situations would have been too much for her.

I'm sitting there listening to her thinking THIS is why a few of us pay so damn much in taxes.

I did twenty years in the military, most of it as an operator where I busted the hell out of myself. I got 50% of my BASE PAY as retirement (which was only about half of what I made monthly in the military due to various "allowances" that do not factor into retirement), which means I really get about 25% of my entire pay as retirement.

I went back to school and now I practice emergency medicine, where I work about every third weekend, and frequently work nights. I won't be able to actually "retire" until I'm probably 80.

Our government is broken....

What you are suffering from is class envy. I think that's what Republican's call it. Most people do not get to retire after twenty years, with 50% of their pay, including socialized med benefits, with the average age of retirement now around 65 yrs. Should everyone start bitching about your retirement?

Funny that you would bitch about an accountant, when CEO's can make up to 600 x's their average employee.

Forum List

Back