We're shopping more - What Retail Apocalypse - Vacancy lowest in two decades, at 5.4 percent,

Procrustes Stretched

Dante's Manifesto
Dec 1, 2008
Retail: They're struggling to meet with demand. We have great infrastructure things happening (thanx Joe/Kamala), and we have what President GWB told us to do during the trauma of 9/11 -- great shopping! I say America is doing well(thanx Joe/Kamala),. We're just some of us, feeling out of it what with all the doom and gloom coming from some quarters.

great read:
"Shopping center landlords have found themselves in a wholly unfamiliar position: For the first time in 20 years, demand for retail space outstrips supply.

That demand has soared recently and, after years of muted construction and a purge of weak-performing properties, met a retail market with less available space. Properties that survived the purge signed up tenants that would draw more shoppers and give them more reason to linger. That meant more restaurants and venues that promote recreational experiences, like ax throwing and, more recently, pickleball. It also meant less space for traditional retailers that weren’t performing as well, like bookstores and apparel brands.

Because of those moves, “there’s not as much redundancy from tenants, and landlords are creating much more robust tenant mixes,” said Barrie Scardina, president of Americas retail services, agency leasing and alliances for Cushman & Wakefield, a real estate firm. “We are seeing some of the most productive occupancy recorded in the last 10 years.”" --

What Retail Apocalypse? Shopping Centers Are Making a Comeback.​

Vacancy is the lowest it has been in two decades, at 5.4 percent, according to a recent report. The properties are thriving even as retailers like Macy’s and Express shutter many stores.

Last edited:
Retail: They're struggling to meet with demand. We have great infrastructure things happening (thanx Joe/Kamala), and we have what President GWB told us to do during the trauma of 9/11 -- great shopping! I say America is doing well(thanx Joe/Kamala),. We're just some of us, feeling out of it what with all the doom and gloom coming from some quarters.

great read:
Shopping center landlords have found themselves in a wholly unfamiliar position: For the first time in 20 years, demand for retail space outstrips supply.

That demand has soared recently and, after years of muted construction and a purge of weak-performing properties, met a retail market with less available space. Properties that survived the purge signed up tenants that would draw more shoppers and give them more reason to linger. That meant more restaurants and venues that promote recreational experiences, like ax throwing and, more recently, pickleball. It also meant less space for traditional retailers that weren’t performing as well, like bookstores and apparel brands.

Because of those moves, “there’s not as much redundancy from tenants, and landlords are creating much more robust tenant mixes,” said Barrie Scardina, president of Americas retail services, agency leasing and alliances for Cushman & Wakefield, a real estate firm. “We are seeing some of the most productive occupancy recorded in the last 10 years.”

Vacancy is the lowest it has been in two decades, at 5.4 percent, according to a recent report. The properties are thriving even as retailers like Macy’s and Express shutter many stores.
In NW Arkanslaw they are doing a mix of living apartments in and around retail shops

Last edited:

great read:
"Shopping center landlords have found themselves in a wholly unfamiliar position: For the first time in 20 years, demand for retail space outstrips supply.

Because of those moves, “there’s not as much redundancy from tenants, and landlords are creating much more robust tenant mixes,” said Barrie Scardina, president of Americas retail services, agency leasing and alliances for Cushman & Wakefield, a real estate firm. “We are seeing some of the most productive occupancy recorded in the last 10 years.”" --

And credit card debt. is at an all time high since 2008...

what do I care? I'm not in debt.
Yes you are...
1717951733799.png

Paul Krugman in his own words

Why You Shouldn’t Obsess About the National Debt​

Specifically, let me make three points. First, while $34 trillion is a very large figure, it’s a lot less scary than many imagine if you put it in historical and international context. Second, to the extent debt is a concern, making debt sustainable wouldn’t be at all hard in terms of the straight economics; it’s almost entirely a political problem. Finally, people who claim to be deeply concerned about debt are, all too often, hypocrites — the level of their hypocrisy often reaches the surreal.

How scary is the debt? It’s a big number, even if you exclude debt that is basically money that one arm of the government owes to another — debt held by the public is still around $27 trillion. But our economy is huge, too. Today, debt as a percentage of G.D.P. isn’t unprecedented, even in America: It’s roughly the same as it was at the end of World War II. It’s considerably lower than the corresponding number for Japan right now and far below Britain’s debt ratio at the end of World War II. In none of these cases was there anything resembling a debt crisis.

"So politics — specifically right-wing politics — rather than the size of the debt is the problem." -- Nobel Prize recipient in economics

In 2008, Krugman was the sole winner of the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his contributions to new trade theory and new economic geography.

Paul Krugman in his own words

Why You Shouldn’t Obsess About the National Debt​

Specifically, let me make three points. First, while $34 trillion is a very large figure, it’s a lot less scary than many imagine if you put it in historical and international context. Second, to the extent debt is a concern, making debt sustainable wouldn’t be at all hard in terms of the straight economics; it’s almost entirely a political problem. Finally, people who claim to be deeply concerned about debt are, all too often, hypocrites — the level of their hypocrisy often reaches the surreal.

How scary is the debt? It’s a big number, even if you exclude debt that is basically money that one arm of the government owes to another — debt held by the public is still around $27 trillion. But our economy is huge, too. Today, debt as a percentage of G.D.P. isn’t unprecedented, even in America: It’s roughly the same as it was at the end of World War II. It’s considerably lower than the corresponding number for Japan right now and far below Britain’s debt ratio at the end of World War II. In none of these cases was there anything resembling a debt crisis.

Paul Krugman??? :auiqs.jpg: :abgg2q.jpg: :heehee::disbelief::laughing0301::laugh::laugh2::04::SMILEW~130::icon_lol:

Paul Krugman??? :auiqs.jpg: :abgg2q.jpg: :heehee::disbelief::laughing0301::laugh::laugh2::04::SMILEW~130::icon_lol:

Work​

International trade has long been a central issue in economic science. The traditional theory posits that different countries have different circumstances, and therefore their people tend to produce different goods. Paul Krugman instead claimed in his 1979 theory that economies of scale mean that world trade is dominated by similar countries producing similar products. Economies of scale and reduced transport costs also explain why an increasing proportion of people live and work in cities.

I'm sorry you have so much CC debt.
I have zero debt. and never buy anything I can't pay for in cash... including my truck and my home which I paid cash for both... in fact the only plastic I ever use is Amex.... and I pay it off every month...

Data is data, it does not care about your feelings.
Inflation still isn’t letting up, and it’s a top concern for Americans right now. But we just learned of yet another way surging prices are hurting families—leading them into huge amounts of credit card debt.

“More Americans are racking up credit card debt as inflation pushes up the cost of food, utilities and other staples,” CBS News reports. “60% of credit card holders have been carrying balances on their cards for at least a year, up 10% from 2021.”

“59% of Americans who earn less than $50,000 a year carry a credit card balance from month to month,” the reporting notes. “The percentage drops slightly to 49% for those who earn between $50,000 and $80,000 and dips again to 46% for people making $80,000 to $100,000 a year.”

This is a serious problem for many families.

Forum List

Back