Were You a Hippie?

No, and I have an odd deep loathing for dirty hippies.
I always despised Hippies.

The Hippy generation of free sex, love, drugs and communes were the future leftists who are now running the world today.

Now you understand why things are so F'ed up.

hippies-1.jpg

My dad and mom were hippies and even drove a VW bus... when we were small kids we would wake up rolling around the back of a VW bus in the middle of the night as my parents drove us to some mountain music festival.... lol

I gotta say, they do look happy.

Sadly, there was a great deal of good and promise of the hippy generation. Wonderful music, peace and lofty ideals. Too bad it got corrupted and so much bad stuff resulted from it. Maybe in some ways, the Height-Ashbury Counterculture was just too far ahead of its time? I'd take the late 60s again over the world we have now today instead.

Sadly, there was a great deal of good and promise of the hippy generation. Wonderful music, peace and lofty ideals. Too bad it got corrupted and so much bad stuff resulted from it. Maybe in some ways, the Height-Ashbury Counterculture was just too far ahead of its time? I'd take the late 60s again over the world we have now today instead.
Part of what made things much better back then is that the squares were in charge.

I was born in 1949, so I was in the "sweet spot" of the 60's. I was at ground zero for the Vietnam draft. I was in ninth grade when JFK was shot and 18 or 19 when MLK and RFK were assassinated. My contemporaries were growing long hair, smoking dope, and attending anti-war rallies. I was on campus for the school year '67-'68, then spent the following three years in the Army. I listened to Motown music, the music of the British Invasion, and American groups, especially the Beach Boys. In today's parlance, I am the heart of what younger generations now derisively call, "Boomers."

Neither I nor any of my classmates or friends were "Hippies."

We were all working class; we didn't have the time or money to be Hippies. Me and my friends were going to school and working as many hours as possible to sock away money for school (tuition, books, living expenses, etc,.). We couldn't have long hair because most employers wouldn't hire you unless you looked "presentable." We drank beer and cheap wine, and didn't transition to MJ until the 70's.

So who were the Hippies? Upper middle-class, spoiled twits. Kids who had parents supporting them fully, paying their school tuition, giving them cars and paying for their apartments, protecting them from the mundane worries of life. These are the same people who went to college and decided to stay there as long as possible to evade the draft - few of them were ever drafted - then became entrenched...and are the godfathers of the disaster that is today's "Higher Education."

Woodstock? Basically all Hippies. Although we were aware that it was happening, working class kids didn't have the time or the spare money to go to such an event.

So if you are too young to remember yourself, and you read about the 60's generation and all the wild shit that they did, keep in mind that then, as now, there were basically two communities of young adults in the late 60's - one the children of working class parents, usually with fathers who were WWII vets, while the other group lived in a whole different world, side by side with the working class kids. The Hippies grew up to be Democrats; we grew up to be Republicans.

And there you have it.
I was born in 1960, so I was a tad bit late to the game, but I had hair down to the middle of my back by 1978 or so. I don't know if I could consider myself a “hippie” but I was certainly a rock & roller, druggy, rebel. I wore heavy, black boots, big bell bottom jeans, a dark brown corduroy cowboy hat with a red bandana. I had a pot leaf earring in my left lobe and scraggly facial hair. Some likened me to Charles Manson but I didn't have his wild eyes.

In 1963 I was 11 and my brother was 10. Our father told us that we were old enough to buy our own cloths. I had to work until I moved out in 1972. We were in the San Francisco Bay area but I couldn't play Hippie.

Mr. Hippie had a wife. What was her name ?

Mrs. Hippie.

Last edited:
The generation of which I wrote was the generation of males who were vulnerable to the Vietnam draft. If you were late enough to be a Lottery Boy (or beyond), you were too late for the party. By 1975, all the long-hairs were pretenders, pretending to be a rebel by doing exactly what everyone else was doing.

Forum List

Back