Zone1 Why Uneducated Whites are Dying of Economic Despair

You're really not very bright, Sealy! Do you realize WHY they are building cars in Tennessee and Alabama instead of in Michigan? Use your head.
Yes, to escape paying higher wages. We knew that eventually, those employees in the south would organize. They've had enough. With stuff like this and abortion, I wouldn't be surprised if some red states didn't turn blue this year.

Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Ohio.

You're really not very bright, Sealy! Do you realize WHY they are building cars in Tennessee and Alabama instead of in Michigan? Use your head.

So think about it. In 1975 America was great. Except inflation was coming. But pretty much all things were great in America. The Greatest Generation basically created through government and labor laws, a middle class the world had never seen before. FDR, New Deal shit. All this stuff you take for granted. You maybe don't realize how good you had it growing up. Cheap college, white privilege, jobs weren't going overseas.

Back then 35% of labor was unions. Remember the Detroit News was even unionized? Reagan helped break all those unions. So Reagan/Bush invented NAFTA in the 80's, Republicans got CLinton to sign it, and Bush 2 removed a lot of the worker protections. Every country protected it's vital industries, except America. Because Corporate America with Republicans help in the 2000's wanted to break unions and renig on pensions.

Yada yada. They sent all our poorly educated blue collar jobs overseas because they paid too well. Now, you're telling me you think those former union employees, who you fucked, should vote GOP?

Yes, to escape paying higher wages. We knew that eventually, those employees in the south would organize. They've had enough. With stuff like this and abortion, I wouldn't be surprised if some red states didn't turn blue this year.

Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Ohio.
Let me see if I can explain this to someone who's obviously a combination of naive and clueless!

As an example of how this works? Take the textile industry. There was a time when American textiles were produced in New England. Multiple rivers to provide power and a skilled work force made the textile industry boom in the area. Years passed...multiple generations of American workers raised families, bought homes and saved for retirement with the job security they had working in the mills. Then the unions moved in. Strikes were called for. Demands were made. Wages were raised. Benefits were increased.

Then something happened those mill workers in New England didn't expect...

The mill owners looked at their costs...did the math...then closed the New England mills and moved their operations to the Carolinas. Those mill workers in New England realized too late that the jobs that had provided secure jobs to their parents and grand parents were no longer going to be there for them.

So now mills were up and running in the Carolinas. People had secure jobs with a steady pay check. Once again the unions moved in. Once again strikes were called for. Demands were made. Wages were raised. Benefits were increased.

So guess what happened again? The mill owners looked at their costs...did the math...then closed the Carolina mills and moved their operations to the Far East. Those mill workers in the Carolinas realized too late that the jobs that had provided a steady pay check were no longer there for them.

Can you grasp how this is exactly like what's happening with unions and car manufacturers? Do you grasp what will happen to those jobs in Alabama and Tennessee if the unions move in again? THINK!!!

Let me see if I can explain this to someone who's obviously a combination of naive and clueless!

As an example of how this works? Take the textile industry. There was a time when American textiles were produced in New England. Multiple rivers to provide power and a skilled work force made the textile industry boom in the area. Years passed...multiple generations of American workers raised families, bought homes and saved for retirement with the job security they had working in the mills. Then the unions moved in. Strikes were called for. Demands were made. Wages were raised. Benefits were increased.

The mill owners looked at their costs...did the math...then closed the New England mills and moved their operations to the Carolinas. Those mill workers in New England realized too late that the jobs that had provided secure jobs to their parents and grand parents were no longer going to be there for them.

So now mills were up and running in the Carolinas. People had secure jobs with a steady pay check. Once again the unions moved in. Once again strikes were called for. Demands were made. Wages were raised. Benefits were increased.

So guess what happened again? The mill owners looked at their costs...did the math...then closed the Carolina mills and moved their operations to the Far East. Those mill workers in the Carolinas realized too late that the jobs that had provided a steady pay check were no longer there for them.

Can you grasp how this is exactly like what's happening with unions and car manufacturers? Do you grasp what will happen to those jobs in Alabama and Tennessee if the unions move in again? THINK!!!

The Carolina's can have those jobs!!!

But eventually they too will organize when they get fed up enough. Like the workers in Tennessee and Alabama. Now where do you go? Remember, you have to manufacture here in USA. If they go overseas, lots of costs and we may tariff you. Sounds like NE is better off.

Let me explain to you how it works. Google wanted to build in NYC. They didn't want to pay taxes. NY said FU. Google went somewhere else. Now that somewhere else says those shitty ass jobs weren't worth it. They wish google never came. Just shitty jobs. Now those worker are organizing.

Yes we know corporations will try to fight back each time we ask for more money. I know the game and how it's played. Workers need to stop being pussies

Those jobs sucked so bad, they were willing to risk them.

The largest number, 53%, of textile mill product companies locate their facilities in the South. The Northeast comes in a distant second at 23%. The West and Midwest bring up the rear at 12% each. 150,000 total companies

The Largest Textile Mills in the US
CityStateNumber of Employees
Winston-SalemAL1800
McAdenvilleNC1000
SpartanburgSC1000
CartersvilleAL1300

With 395 textile manufacturing establishments, and more than 25,000 employees, North Carolina is home to nearly 25% of all textile manufacturing employees in the U.S. Additionally, North Carolina exports $1.4 billion in textile goods globally, again leading the nation with nearly 20% of all U.S. textile exports.

The textile industry was the dominant industry in South Carolina for many years, but it became so successful that Greenville was even known as the "Textile Capital of the World." Greenville became so well known, that people from all over the world would travel to this area to learn about new technology

Go ahead and go overseas. It won't save you anything

The American textile and apparel industries, like manufacturing as a whole, are experiencing a nascent turnaround as apparel and textile companies demand higher quality, more reliable scheduling and fewer safety problems than they encounter overseas.

The Carolina's can have those jobs!!!

But eventually they too will organize when they get fed up enough. Like the workers in Tennessee and Alabama. Now where do you go? Remember, you have to manufacture here in USA. If they go overseas, lots of costs and we may tariff you. Sounds like NE is better off.

Let me explain to you how it works. Google wanted to build in NYC. They didn't want to pay taxes. NY said FU. Google went somewhere else. Now that somewhere else says those shitty ass jobs weren't worth it. They wish google never came. Just shitty jobs. Now those worker are organizing.

Yes we know corporations will try to fight back each time we ask for more money. I know the game and how it's played. Workers need to stop being pussies
Try to keep up here, Sealy! I know this is complicated for someone of your intellectual capacity but concentrate and you may be able to figure it all out! My point...which you seem oblivious to...is that the Carolina's GOT those jobs from New England and then LOST them! Those jobs are now in Vietnam and China. This isn't about workers being "pussies"! It's about workers knowing how much they can realistically demand before they price themselves out of a job.

Last edited:
With 395 textile manufacturing establishments, and more than 25,000 employees, North Carolina is home to nearly 25% of all textile manufacturing employees in the U.S. Additionally, North Carolina exports $1.4 billion in textile goods globally, again leading the nation with nearly 20% of all U.S. textile exports.

The textile industry was the dominant industry in South Carolina for many years, but it became so successful that Greenville was even known as the "Textile Capital of the World." Greenville became so well known, that people from all over the world would travel to this area to learn about new technology

Go ahead and go overseas. It won't save you anything

The American textile and apparel industries, like manufacturing as a whole, are experiencing a nascent turnaround as apparel and textile companies demand higher quality, more reliable scheduling and fewer safety problems than they encounter overseas.
200,000 people lost jobs working in textile mills between 1997 and 2012. Now I'm a history major and we're not usually very good with math but I'm thinking that 25,000 employees are a LOT less than 200,000! Duh?

Try to keep up here, Sealy! I know this is complicated for someone of your intellectual capacity but concentrate and you may be able to figure it all out! My point...which you seem oblivious to...is that the Carolina's GOT those jobs from New England and then LOST them! Those jobs are now in Vietnam and China. This isn't about workers being "pussies"! It's about workers knowing how much they can realistically demand before they price themselves out of a job.
How can Carolina workers compete with Chinese workers? They can't. So either that's something we decide to outsource, or protect your job with tariffs.

Today, the tides have turned. It's too expensive to manufacture abroad. So jobs are coming back home. But they aren't going to re hire the union workers they let go in the 2000's when they left. They'll come back paying $15. Because those workers are uneducated blue collar.

How can Carolina workers compete with Chinese workers? They can't. So either that's something we decide to outsource, or protect your job with tariffs.

Today, the tides have turned. It's too expensive to manufacture abroad. So jobs are coming back home. But they aren't going to re hire the union workers they let go in the 2000's when they left. They'll come back paying $15. Because those workers are uneducated blue collar.
Carolina workers have the advantage of being here and not there. That's about the ONLY advantage they have which means they need to be aware of the bottom line of the companies they work for. If $15 an hour is what companies have to pay to remain profitable then it's insanity to join a union and demand $25 an hour!

Carolina workers have the advantage of being here and not there. That's about the ONLY advantage they have which means they need to be aware of the bottom line of the companies they work for. If $15 an hour is what companies have to pay to remain profitable then it's insanity to join a union and demand $25 an hour!
Oh you're buying that? When a company says "$15 is the most we can pay" you just buy that? I mean, if you saw they only made $1 million dollar profit last year, fine. And if the CEO only made 20x $15 hr, fine. But what if you see the company made $1 billion and the CEO made 1322% more than you?

Are Carolina workers that stupid?

And what happens when inflation happens?

South Carolina has the fourth-highest inflation rate in the US

from December 2021 to December 2022, the national rate was 6.5%. For the same time period, North Carolina’s inflation rate came in just a little over 6.5%.

Forum List

Back