What about an Electric gun, no hammer, no striker, an electric charge to ignite the gun powder?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
There was a question about the next innovation in guns, since they haven't seemed to change much since the Glocks arrived....

How about a gun that is fired with an electric charge instead of a striker or hammer?

Mmm, if you don't need the movement of a trigger pull to work the hammer, the gun could be more accurate...

Mmm, if you don't need the movement of a trigger pull to work the hammer, the gun could be more accurate...

That is what I was wondering.....has anyone done any sort of research on this? I was thinking about this because the Army has requested Rail Gun technology for it's land forces......

That is what I was wondering.....has anyone done any sort of research on this? I was thinking about this because the Army has requested Rail Gun technology for it's land forces......
Coil guns and rail guns.

The problem is the bulky capacitor bank and batteries necessary to store that much electrical energy. Right now, chemical storage (powder) is the most efficient by far.

Coil guns and rail guns.

The problem is the bulky capacitor bank and batteries necessary to store that much electrical energy. Right now, chemical storage (powder) is the most efficient by far.

I am talking about igniting gun powder vs. a magnetic rail? Instead of physically hitting a primer, how about zapping it?

Coil guns and rail guns.

I am talking about igniting gun powder vs. a magnetic rail? Instead of physically hitting a primer, how about zapping it?

I saw. I misread the thread. I do think these weapons are the future within the next 50 years

It's not broke ... don't fix it.

john-wayne-true-grit.jpg

I believe this has already been done in some of the high end target rifles. I know the electronic trigger was on them. I believe the ignition of the primer was as well.

Coil guns and rail guns.

Hmmm ...

Change out the hammer mech with essentially the guts of a hand held taser? All you'd need is a single arc, though admittedly a sharp one.

Coil guns and rail guns.

Hmmm ...

Change out the hammer mech with essentially the guts of a hand held taser? All you'd need is a single arc, though admittedly a sharp one.

Wouldn't necessarily want to use it if it was wet.....but just thinking about different innovations...

Not just that, but the lock time allows milliseconds of time for the muzzle to move. Milliseconds doesn't sound like much, but it can be the difference between a hit or a miss.

Also, the vibration of the mechanical mechanisms currently in use effects the barrel harmonics. A heavy barrel negates much of that. But the thinner rifle barrels of some hunting rifles can be effected slightly. And a slight effect at the muzzle can be a big effect 400 yards away.

Forum List

Back