What are some of your favorite double album sets, originally released.........

........as two-disc sets on vinyl, and later as two-CD sets? Some of mine include Electric Ladyland, by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Beatles, commonly known as The White Album, by the Beatles, Layla and Assorted Love Songs, by Derek and the Dominoes, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, by Elton John. My absolute favorite double disc set is Songs in the Key of Life, by Stevie Wonder. While the other sets I mentioned have a couple or three mediocre tracks, the Stevie Wonder set is ALL fantastic songs. So, what are some of YOUR favorites?
There's a Double Album other than The Beatles?!

Oh I got a good one for you. Waiting For Columbus by Little Feat. Great album set!
I like a LOT of stuff by Little Feat, but unbelievably I've never heard this one. I've read some great reviews for it, I'll check it on YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation. I REALLY liked Lowell George, the band definitely wasn't the same after he died.
IMO Waiting For Columbus is one of the best live albums ever recorded.

........as two-disc sets on vinyl, and later as two-CD sets? Some of mine include Electric Ladyland, by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Beatles, commonly known as The White Album, by the Beatles, Layla and Assorted Love Songs, by Derek and the Dominoes, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, by Elton John. My absolute favorite double disc set is Songs in the Key of Life, by Stevie Wonder. While the other sets I mentioned have a couple or three mediocre tracks, the Stevie Wonder set is ALL fantastic songs. So, what are some of YOUR favorites?
One other that comes quickly to mind is RARE EARTH In Concert. Album looked like a backpack.
Oh, and Umma Gumma by Pink Floyd.
Also, the original AIR FORCE double album is great. Killer.

View attachment 325972
I've never heard any of these. I've heard OF them, of course. Thanks for the recommendations, tf. And I always liked Rare Earth. I still have a 45 single by them, "Hey Big Brother". It was one of my favorite songs of the early 1970's.
Never heard them? OH MAN you gotta get the live in concert Rare Earth album then! It is their BEST! The band was smokin' HOT that day. You just never want the music to end. The music just builds, and builds, . . . and builds.

Oh and BTW, another great album is Rush's ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE live double album. I'm not normally a huge fan of Rush, but this was one of their best albums where their renditions are actually better often than the original studio albums. Bytor and the Snow Dog is JAMMIN'.

And Umma Gumma, first album is a deeply heavy psychedelic studio set followed by the second album a far out trippy live concert album before a crowd. Get real stoned, turn down the lights and turn off the phone.

Damn. I keep forgetting to mention the black Emerson Lake and Palmer Works Volume 2. Not the white Vol. 1. Their masterpiece of voice, keyboard, bass and drum.

Layla...Derek and the Dominoes! Eric Clapton jamming with Duane Allman? Does it get any better than that?

Oh I got a good one for you. Waiting For Columbus by Little Feat. Great album set!
I like a LOT of stuff by Little Feat, but unbelievably I've never heard this one. I've read some great reviews for it, I'll check it on YouTube. Thanks for the recommendation. I REALLY liked Lowell George, the band definitely wasn't the same after he died.
IMO Waiting For Columbus is one of the best live albums ever recorded.
Thanks, Mike. I WILL check it out.

Did we forget the # seller in The Day ?

Yep, Frampton Comes Alive! I own the special BLUE vinyl version of this one, I believe I found it at a thrift store for $1.50 or two bucks! It's used, but in very good shape. Now I have to find it. It's downstairs with the rest of my vinyl......

Layla...Derek and the Dominoes! Eric Clapton jamming with Duane Allman? Does it get any better than that?
Yep, absolutely fantastic music! It's such a DAMN shame Duane died so young.

One other that comes quickly to mind is RARE EARTH In Concert. Album looked like a backpack.
Oh, and Umma Gumma by Pink Floyd.
Also, the original AIR FORCE double album is great. Killer.

View attachment 325972
I've never heard any of these. I've heard OF them, of course. Thanks for the recommendations, tf. And I always liked Rare Earth. I still have a 45 single by them, "Hey Big Brother". It was one of my favorite songs of the early 1970's.
Never heard them? OH MAN you gotta get the live in concert Rare Earth album then! It is their BEST! The band was smokin' HOT that day. You just never want the music to end. The music just builds, and builds, . . . and builds.

Oh and BTW, another great album is Rush's ALL THE WORLD'S A STAGE live double album. I'm not normally a huge fan of Rush, but this was one of their best albums where their renditions are actually better often than the original studio albums. Bytor and the Snow Dog is JAMMIN'.

And Umma Gumma, first album is a deeply heavy psychedelic studio set followed by the second album a far out trippy live concert album before a crowd. Get real stoned, turn down the lights and turn off the phone.

Damn. I keep forgetting to mention the black Emerson Lake and Palmer Works Volume 2. Not the white Vol. 1. Their masterpiece of voice, keyboard, bass and drum.
I WILL check out the Rare Earth one on YouTube. Thanks, again, for your recommendations!

Thanks very much, everyone, for your replies. This is going like I believe a forum on here SHOULD go. There are no right or wrong opinions, just informed ones about the music you love. And, most importantly, there have been NO idiotic trolls disrupting this thread, at least not YET. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that! Again, thank you for your wonderful responses. I DEFINITELY have some listening to do!

Yep, absolutely fantastic music! It's such a DAMN shame Duane died so young.
Back when I was running a bar in Aspen I had Gregg Allman and Dickie Betts come in for a few beers. Got to chat with them for about an hour. Cool guys. Gregg was up there visiting Cher. I'd forgotten they were an item way back when. For a guy who's favorite band back in high school was the Allman Brother's Band that was a treat!

Wow! That must have been SO cool. And something you will NEVER forget. Our fond memories really DO help us cope with life's struggles, especially right now.

Yessongs, The Lamb Lies down On Broadway, Thick as a Brick, Layla.
Nice picks, Dog! The Lamb Lies Down is my favorite release by Genesis, it has some astoundingly impressive work on it. I wish Peter Gabriel hadn't left the group after its release. But Peter DID have a nice solo career, of course. And Layla is just fantastic. The guitar interplay by Clapton and Allman is hard to top. Interestingly enough, although I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull's music, Thick as a Brick never "grabbed me", so to speak. I own the vinyl, but have probably listened to it in its entirety just a few times. The idea for it IS quite unique. One long song, in different movements and variations, over both sides of an album, is quite clever and daring. I DO really like small snippets of the work, and Ian and the band ARE in top form throughout. This is definitely one I need to listen to again. Thanks for jogging my memory about the album.

Hmmm...never knew about this one but have heard ALL the songs

1587465194404.png

One of my top four bands by a long way.

After about 72 I didn't take to their work.

Greg

Yessongs, The Lamb Lies down On Broadway, Thick as a Brick, Layla.
Nice picks, Dog! The Lamb Lies Down is my favorite release by Genesis, it has some astoundingly impressive work on it. I wish Peter Gabriel hadn't left the group after its release. But Peter DID have a nice solo career, of course. And Layla is just fantastic. The guitar interplay by Clapton and Allman is hard to top. Interestingly enough, although I'm a big fan of Jethro Tull's music, Thick as a Brick never "grabbed me", so to speak. I own the vinyl, but have probably listened to it in its entirety just a few times. The idea for it IS quite unique. One long song, in different movements and variations, over both sides of an album, is quite clever and daring. I DO really like small snippets of the work, and Ian and the band ARE in top form throughout. This is definitely one I need to listen to again. Thanks for jogging my memory about the album.

I have always considered Carpet Crawlers to be one of the most achingly beautiful songs ever written. Whenever I tell people that Genesis is one of my absolute tops, I always preface it with a "with Gabriel". After he left, they gradually devolved into blandness.

Forum List

Back