What are some of your favorite songs by Jimi Hendrix/Jimi Hendrix Experience?

Hey Joe and the Watchtower cover are great, and are now the definitive versions of those songs as well. Mary is also excellent, one of his best. Purple Haze got him started, and I liked it a lot but it has been over-played and I no longer listen to it.

born under a bad sign
red house
purple haze
voodoo chile
hey baby
nine to the U
angel
bleeding heart
the wind cries mary
hear my train coming

When my sons were young they were surprised when they went through my old vinyl collection of scratched up stuff no longer listenable. My tastes are basically the same as they were when I was young, it's just that the quality of music has changed and diversified so much and equipment so much better that I now have more 'modern' stuff than oldies; the majority of 'oldies' was total crap, frankly, which no one seems able to admit, but any 'grand tour' of the BillBoard top 100 from 1953 onward will show it to be true, there just wasn't all that many 'golden oldies' worth remembering, but it appears that way because we're talking about 20+ years' worth of pre 1970's songs and the illusion that every year produced 100 or so 'greats', which isn't anywhere near the case. Many of the songsd now considered 'greats' would down around #35 or #74 or even below #100 on the Top 500 lists.

Just as an example Hendrix's records never sold that many when he was alive, simply because the audience wasn't that large for his type of music; you get a box seat hanging over the stage at one of his concerts for $6 in 1967-68. And, he pretty much exhausted the genre along with ZZ Top's stuff, so what would be the point of listening to all the later wannabees? Metallica isn't 'great', Aerosmith has a few goodies, but not as distinctively original as Hendrix or ZZ Top, and biting the heads off of bats and chickens makes for great stage shows for certain audiences but the 'death metal' stuff is for morons in general.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back