what are the chances Congrees will give authorization?

Thats interesting...John Bolton thinks Congress just might give Obama the authority to strike...put the onus back on him to decide...

I say slim to none. Repubs will leave Obabble twisting in the wind (as it were)...while the left, after all they have said about W's reckless behavior, will be emarrassed to support another war.

Congress has no sense of shame or embarrassment.

This president cannot accept responsibility for any action he takes during his administration. The only reason he wants Congress's approval is he wants someone to blame for a failed attack or not attacking after promising he would do so.

Obama's legacy: Finding someone to blame.

Thats interesting...John Bolton thinks Congress just might give Obama the authority to strike...put the onus back on him to decide...

It's his decision anyway regardless of what Congress says.

Hopefully zero.

Congress is so out of touch with the electorate however in this non-election year, I put the actual chances at somewhere around 75% they will give tacit approval.

I hope I'm wrong.

I am not aware of a way to vote tacit approval.

Think of yourself voting for Romney....that is tacit approval. Nobody wanted that dude as President; you didn't want Obama as President.

I doubt anyone and I mean anyone of any political stripe who has a seat in Congress wants to send a single American soldier into harm's way over any cause; much less Syria which is a wholly unimportant nation. Yet if we don't go...who else is going to go--at least that is the reasoning they'll employ.

Crying ass shame. "The World" demands XY&Z gets done but "the world" doesn't do anything; all too often it is the U.S. That needs to change.

Hopefully zero.

Congress is so out of touch with the electorate however in this non-election year, I put the actual chances at somewhere around 75% they will give tacit approval.

I hope I'm wrong.

Think of yourself voting for Romney....that is tacit approval. Nobody wanted that dude as President; you didn't want Obama as President.

I doubt anyone and I mean anyone of any political stripe who has a seat in Congress wants to send a single American soldier into harm's way over any cause; much less Syria which is a wholly unimportant nation. Yet if we don't go...who else is going to go--at least that is the reasoning they'll employ.

Crying ass shame. "The World" demands XY&Z gets done but "the world" doesn't do anything; all too often it is the U.S. That needs to change.

"Think of yourself voting for Romney....that is tacit approval. Nobody wanted that dude as President; you didn't want Obama as President."

Jesus God where do these people come from????????

"Think of yourself voting for Romney....that is tacit approval. Nobody wanted that dude as President; you didn't want Obama as President."

Jesus God where do these people come from????????

You wanted Romney for President? That makes 1...apparently according to his son, HE didn't want to be President.

“He wanted to be president less than anyone I’ve met in my life. He had no desire to…run,”

Try to do better next time; it won't take much.

Obama went golfing with Biden after his announcement...spades tournament tonite I suppose....

OBAMA HITS GOLF COURSE AFTER ANNOUNCING NATIONAL EMERGENCY

Email Article
Print Article
Send a Tip
by MIKE FLYNN 31 Aug 2013, 1:01 PM PDT 1375 POST A COMMENT

President Obama and Vice-President Biden held a rare press event Saturday in the Rose Garden to address the escalating tensions with Syria. President Obama said he was convinced Syrian President Bashir Assad had ordered a chemical weapon attack on his citizens and that the US, and the world community, must act in response. Obama called on Congress to authorize a military attack against Syria. A new foreign policy crisis now faces the US. After the press event, Obama and Biden went golfing.
I'm not an expert in foreign policy, but I can think of a few things a President ought to do after requesting authority for a military strike on a sovereign nation. There are probably some Congressional leaders who ought to be briefed. There are likely one or two world leaders who would appreciate a chat about the US plans. No doubt generals in the military would have a thought or two about how things should proceed.
An hour after announcing a potential new military venture in the Middle East, with unknown consequences, "5 Wood or 2 Iron" is the last thing I want on a President's mind.

Obama does not need Congressional authorization to attack Syria. The War Powers Resolution gives the President the power to commit armed forces to military action. It allows armed forces to advance the fighting for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period. All without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war from Congress.

Yes, if we are attacked.

I don't believe we were.

Going golfing at the moment he did was truly disgusting. Really beyond the pale of disgusting.

Getting authorization is slim to none. There is always a chance, but it is a slim one. obama did what Bush never did. He united democrats and republicans against him.

All this reminds me of the GOP passing a motion to withdraw from Libya. However, when it came time to fund the war, they gave them funds that let them stay.

I say they are all on the same team even though they speak out of the sides of their progressive mouths.

I say slim to none. Repubs will leave Obabble twisting in the wind (as it were)...while the left, after all they have said about W's reckless behavior, will be emarrassed to support another war.

What difference does it make? Obama is just going to do the usual..Whatever he wants to do.
IMO launching an attack of any kind in Syria is ill advised.
The Arab world does not welcome American intervention into their internal affairs.
Not only that, the general population of Middle Easterners has a low opinion of American intervention.
At least that is how I see it.

Obama does not need Congressional authorization to attack Syria. The War Powers Resolution gives the President the power to commit armed forces to military action. It allows armed forces to advance the fighting for more than 60 days, with a further 30 day withdrawal period. All without an authorization of the use of military force or a declaration of war from Congress.

Without looking it up, I believe you are correct.

Without looking it up, I believe you are correct.

He's not.

Avalon Project - War Powers Resolution

Going golfing at the moment he did was truly disgusting. Really beyond the pale of disgusting.

Getting authorization is slim to none. There is always a chance, but it is a slim one. obama did what Bush never did. He united democrats and republicans against him.

Unless of course a couple of high ranking members of the Congress were part of the foursome....Ok, just kidding.
The President playing golf at time such as this does seem inappropriate.

Forum List

Back