What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Vashti Bunyan "Rose Hip November" from the album "Just Another Diamond Day" released in 1970 on Philips Records.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Sibylle Baier "The End" from the album "Colour Green" released in 2006 on Orange Twin Records. The whole album Baier originally recorded between 1970-1973 but the album was not released until 2006.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Archie Shepp ""Rufus (Swung His Face At Last To The Wind, Then His Neck Snapped)" from the album "Four for Trane" released in 1964 on Impulse! Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Both the below are from Captain Beefheart "Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 to 1972" the 4 CD Boxset released in 2014 on Rhino Records.

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "I Can't Do This Unless I Can Do This / Seam Crooked Sam"

Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band "Circumstances (Alternate Version 2)"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Nick Drake "Fruit Tree" from the album "Five Leaves Left" released in 1969 on Island Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Johnny Burnette and The Rock n Roll Trio "The Train Kept A-Rollin'" released as the A Side on 7" in 1956 on Coral Records.

Johnny Burnette and The Rock n Roll Trio "Honey Hush" is the B Side of the above A Side.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Vashti Bunyan "Rose Hip November" from the album "Just Another Diamond Day" released in 1970 on Philips Records.

Vashti Bunyan. You posted Vashti Bunyan. :eek:

OK I am officially impressed. :bowdown:

One of a collection of unreleased (until decades later) demos from the mid-1960s

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Comus "Song To Comus" from the album "First Utterance" released in 1971 on Dawn Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Vashti Bunyan. You posted Vashti Bunyan. :eek:

OK I am officially impressed. :bowdown:

One of a collection of unreleased (until decades later) demos from the mid-1960s

Yes "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind – Singles and Demos 1964 to 1967" released on FatCat Records in 2007 is full of gems, including the only two 7" singles she ever released, the curious choice to give her "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind" written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, I add that Jimmy Page plays guitar on that Vashti 7" it was released in 1965 on Decca Records the B Side is "I Want To Be Alone" and her final 7" single "Train Song" which was released in 1966 on Columbia Records with the B Side "Love Song" both are credited just to Vashti sans Bunyan.

I love Vashti Bunyan, her two other albums after "Just Another Diamond Day" are excellent also "Lookaftering" released 35 years after her first album in 2005 and "Heartleap" released in 2014 which she says is her final album, both are on FatCat Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

I have commented this before but IMHO Sandy Denny was the greatest female vocalist ever, also there is a deep emotional attachment to Sandy Denny songs, they frequently have the ability to make me cry "Now and Then" is one of them.

Sandy Denny "Now and Then" this is a demo which was recorded on December 30 1968 at Sound Techniques, London, England on December 30 1968, Sandy Denny's demos were 100% more brilliant than most other artists actual recorded catalogues.

"Now and Then" was first released in 2004 on the 5 CD Boxset anthology "A Boxful of Treasures" on Fledg'ling Records, the below is from "I've Always Kept A Unicorn: The Acoustic Sandy Denny" released in 2016 on Island Records.

Sandy Denny "Autopsy" this is the demo version of the later song that appeared on the Fairport Convention album "Unhalfbricking" released in 1969 on Island Records, this demo was recorded at the same December 30 1968 Sound Techniques session that "Now and Then" was recorded at.

Fairport Convention "Reynardine" from the album "Liege & Lief" released in 1969 on Island Records.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back