What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Angel Olsen "Shut Up Kiss Me" from her album "My Woman" which was released on September 2nd 2016 on Jagjaguwar Records.

Whole Album alert; my fav album from the late 60s.
Tormato is actually late '70's, but still a very good, if underrated, album by Yes.

While digging through some old boxes I had stored in the garage, I came across this gem. Loreena McKennitt's The Mummers' Dance.

Last edited:
Tormato is actually late '70's, but still a very good, if underrated, album by Yes.

While digging through some old boxes I had stored in the garage, I came across this gem. Loreena McKennitt's The Mummers' Dance.

Correct; 1978 I just checked. The Group formed in 1968........I'd been listening to them from about that time...1970ish but I knew that they'd formed earlier. They didn't get much air time here but they were around.

Greg

Just reread a previous post; yes, the GROUP was from the late 60s/70s, the Album was late 70s. My bad.

Greg

Correct; 1978 I just checked. The Group formed in 1968........I'd been listening to them from about that time...1970ish but I knew that they'd formed earlier. They didn't get much air time here but they were around.
I first heard them when Roundabout started receiving airplay. Was hooked on them ever since. Saw them 3 times live, all were spectacular shows. Tales From Topographic Oceans was probably my favorite back in the day, but the one I listen to most these days is Going for the One.

I first heard them when Roundabout started receiving airplay. Was hooked on them ever since. Saw them 3 times live, all were spectacular shows. Tales From Topographic Oceans was probably my favorite back in the day, but the one I listen to most these days is Going for the One.

Thank you. I don't listen to them much these days but you've ignited the spark. My friends couldn't seem to get "into them" at all. I came across some of their Albums in 1975/78 at the Uni Music Room at the Uni of Qld. I was familiar with them, before then but to have them on tap was great. I don't recall many of the songs though; I'm a bit like that. This is going to be very pleasant research.

Greg

Last edited:
The incomparable João Gilberto: Pra Que Discutir Com Madame

Madame diz que a raça não melhora
Que a vida piora por causa do samba,
Madame diz o que samba tem pecado
Que o samba é coitado e devia acabar,
Madame diz que o samba tem cachaça, mistura de raça mistura de cor,
Madame diz que o samba democrata, é música barata sem nenhum valor,

Vamos acabar com o samba, madame não gosta que ninguém sambe
Vive dizendo que samba é vexame
Pra que discutir com madame.

No carnaval que vem também concorro
Meu bloco de morro vai cantar ópera
E na Avenida entre mil apertos
Vocês vão ver gente cantando concerto
Madame tem um parafuso a menos
Só fala veneno meu Deus que horror!
O samba brasileiro democrata
Brasileiro na batata é que tem valor.

(Madam says samba is bad for the race and degrades life. Madam says samba is sinful, impoverished and should be eliminated.
Madam says samba (is like) cachaça (liquor) --- mixing of races! Mixing of colors!
Madam says the democratic samba is barbarism with no value. "Let's get rid of samba". Madam would have nobody samba-ing. She keeps saying it's 'shameful'.

In the Carnaval my group will compete, and sing opera, and on the streets a thousand happy faces will sing in concert. Madam is wacko. She speaks bullshit. My got what horror! The democratic Brazilian samba is where it's at.)

Greg

I've always considered "On the Silent Wings of Freedom" (33:48 in your link) to be the quintessential tour de force of Yes music, the climax of where they were going the whole time, the peak after which there's no more to be said.

There's just nowhere to go after that. Mr. H.

Townes VanZandt - The Rake

His was a sad life...but brilliant

I used to wake and run with the moon
I lived like a rake and a young man
I covered my lovers with flowers and wounds
My laughter the devil would frighten
The sun she would come and beat me back down
But every cruel day had its nightfall
I'd welcome the stars with wine and guitars
Full of fire and forgetful

Forum List

Back